May 21, 2019, 03:38:24 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Skully AR-1, the helmet of the future? (coming in 2014)  (Read 24356 times)

March 11, 2019, 12:54:54 PM
Reply #105

WantMore

Supporting Member
After reading the above about Skully it sounds to me that they made a few mistakes but what the hell do I know? But here are my thoughts anyways.

One was they rushed the DOT design to market and should have waited for ECE certification to get done so that one helmet shell could be sold globally. With the ECE design taking longer we assume that they are finding some issues as they are now talking about “two paths”.

The other issue is they certainly took on a great deal of debt in the Make It Right Campaign and now with a DOT only helmet that can’t sell to a global market that debt/commitment is tougher to fund in a USA only marketplace. Investors are likely not happy about that PR campaign now.

The customer review post is also interesting. Rear view camera got no love. The display was said to be distracting. Voice recognition is “disappointing” at 50%. Customer gives it a 2 out 5.
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

March 12, 2019, 01:27:28 PM
Reply #106

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
After reading the above about Skully it sounds to me that they made a few mistakes but what the hell do I know? But here are my thoughts anyways.

One was they rushed the DOT design to market and should have waited for ECE certification to get done so that one helmet shell could be sold globally. With the ECE design taking longer we assume that they are finding some issues as they are now talking about “two paths”.

The other issue is they certainly took on a great deal of debt in the Make It Right Campaign and now with a DOT only helmet that can’t sell to a global market that debt/commitment is tougher to fund in a USA only marketplace. Investors are likely not happy about that PR campaign now.

The customer review post is also interesting. Rear view camera got no love. The display was said to be distracting. Voice recognition is “disappointing” at 50%. Customer gives it a 2 out 5.
Is this end of Skully again? Is the fat lady warming up for a Skully encore?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_ain%27t_over_till_the_fat_lady_sings
Two Lane Highway
Funny Funny x 2 View List

March 12, 2019, 07:48:37 PM
Reply #107

HDBitchin

Administrator
The helmet is scheduled to be delivered on March 15th. For those willing to do test rides we will work out a time and place in the next days that works for each of you.

In the meantime, below I have attached the Skully User Manual and their Quick Start Guide that you might take a look at to familiarize yourself with the operation ahead of time.

You should also go to either the Apple or Google app store (depending of which smartphone you own) to download the Skully app.

@AbueloBill I know you don't own a smartphone so maybe the thing we can do for you is let you ride with my phone in your pocket. That might even be an option for the others doing testing is that you use my phone paired to the helmet. But if you would like to set it up on your own phone from the reading I have done the pairing via Bluetooth is easily accomplished.
The Skully helmet is due to arrive tomorrow, a couple days earlier than predicted. The testing and reviews begin!

March 13, 2019, 07:47:44 AM
Reply #108

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I'm excited
CARS SUCK!
Like Like x 2 View List

March 13, 2019, 08:13:50 AM
Reply #109

HDBitchin

Administrator
I'm excited
I can tell!  ;D

March 13, 2019, 03:55:16 PM
Reply #110

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I can tell!  ;D
Thank you for the invite to test not sure with a 100 miles between us how it will work out. We'll just wait and see
CARS SUCK!

March 14, 2019, 07:52:17 AM
Reply #111

HDBitchin

Administrator
The shipment of the Skully helmet is delayed. New shipment info is unknown at this point.

eBay screwed the transaction up.

March 14, 2019, 07:48:22 PM
Reply #112

HDBitchin

Administrator
So as I said the helmet delivery got screwed up by eBay.

Just as a review, this Skully helmet is used and is being bought by the CEO of LiveMap for me to review/test it. It will then be sent to LiveMap for their detailed review.

It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but eBay decided after the seller had shipped it out that the transaction looked like fraud. Either their algorithm that detects fraud or the little worker that in a cubicle in their headquarters made a late decision based on the facts that...

1) the CEO of LiveMap’s eBay account was old
2) and the account had never before been used to make a purchase
3) the first purchase being made with the account was a high dollar purchase
4) and the shipment was not to the CEO’s home in Moscow
5) instead it was coming to me in Arizona

Instead of halting the transaction before the seller shipped the helmet their slow fraud algorithm or the highly skilled worker in the eBay fraud department decided to halt the transaction after it was shipped.

eBay was on top of the situation (sarcasm here) and was certain that someone must nave hacked the LiveMap CEO’s eBay account. They sent emails to the seller that they suspected fraud. The seller filed a fraud case and a package intercept with the USPS. That triggered a visit to my door from the Glendale AZ Police Department.

The police asked questions as you might expect they would ask...

Was I expecting a package? Who purchased the package? Why was it being delivered to me in Glendale when the purchase was paid for out of Russia?

Now the seller has to ship it twice and is out a package intercept fee with the USPS thanks to ebay and their lightning fast fraud detection.

Now don’t get me wrong I do understand that the circumstances here did add up to what might have been fraud. But their slow reaction allowed the seller to get it shipped and then they woke up to the idea that this might be fraud. They need to reboot the computer that hosts the fraud algorithm and/or kick the highly skilled worker that reviews fraud in the behind.

March 14, 2019, 08:29:08 PM
Reply #113

bc45

Global Moderator
 Waiting to hear the reviews

March 15, 2019, 07:50:15 AM
Reply #114

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member

Just as a review, this Skully helmet is used and is being bought by the CEO of LiveMap for me to review/test it. It will then be sent to LiveMap for their detailed review.

It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but eBay decided after the seller had shipped it out that the transaction looked like fraud. Either their algorithm that detects fraud or the little worker that in a cubicle in their headquarters made a late decision based on the facts that...

Instead of halting the transaction before the seller shipped the helmet their slow fraud algorithm or the highly skilled worker in the eBay fraud department decided to halt the transaction after it was shipped.

eBay was on top of the situation (sarcasm here) and was certain that someone must nave hacked the LiveMap CEO’s eBay account. They sent emails to the seller that they suspected fraud. The seller filed a fraud case and a package intercept with the USPS. That triggered a visit to my door from the Glendale AZ Police Department.

Was I expecting a package? Who purchased the package? Why was it being delivered to me in Glendale when the purchase was paid for out of Russia?

Now the seller has to ship it twice and is out a package intercept fee with the USPS thanks to ebay and their lightning fast fraud detection.

Now don’t get me wrong I do understand that the circumstances here did add up to what might have been fraud. But their slow reaction allowed the seller to get it shipped and then they woke up to the idea that this might be fraud. They need to reboot the computer that hosts the fraud algorithm and/or kick the highly skilled worker that reviews fraud in the behind.
Well eBay certainly has screwed that up royally. For the sake of the seller I would hope that they reimburse him for the double shipment and the package intercept fee to the Post Office.

Looking forward to the Skully review you Arizona members will be doing.
Two Lane Highway

March 18, 2019, 01:06:41 PM
Reply #115

WantMore

Supporting Member

That is messed up! As you said the chance that it was fraud was a real but eBay was certainly asleep at the wheel on this transaction.
Smoke em if you got em

March 21, 2019, 10:31:05 AM
Reply #116

HDBitchin

Administrator
In November of 2018 Marcus Weller gave an interview in which he gives his take on beginning and the end of the first Skully. The interview is 1 hour and 14 minutes long but worth watching if you want to hear his story which he talks you completely through the first Skully that he and his brother started. Here is the link to the interview...

https://mixergy.com/interviews/skully-with-marcus-weller/

Interesting fact is the lawsuit over the spending on luxury cars and strippers was dropped which few people have come to understand. Here is a link to a story on the lawsuit being dropped.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/07/lawsuit-against-ar-helmet-maker-skully-over-strippers-and-sports-cars-has-been-dropped/

Another thing I was not aware of was he was involved to the end. Meaning he worked the deal with the current owners of the Skully which included the idea of the “Make It Right” Campaign that would ensure that everyone that purchased a helmet via his indigogo crowdfunding would get a helmet from the new company. So the Make it Right Campaign was agreed to by the new buyers. Here is statement from Marcus Weller interview which comes from transcript from Mixergy...

Marcus: Well, I think the main thing is that, you know, when we tried to basically facilitate a graceful exit for the company and this all like basically happened, what they did is they had, you know, put their own team in, they told all the employees, these investors, in particular, that everything was going to be good and they were going to fund the company, and they were going to do all this stuff. And they didn’t actually do that.

Meanwhile, in the background, they were working on selling the company to a different buyer. And so they had already been, like, lining up these conversations to sell it to somebody else, where they would receive the proceeds in a recapitalize state. So then we found out that there was, I guess, some shadiness going on. I don’t know the details exactly.

But, eventually, it got to Western Technology Investments, WTI. They received it in insolvency. They had the rights to receive it because they had, like, loaned money to Skully. So they tried to basically, like, work with the different people that were involved in the company. And this investment group, in particular, was totally unhelpful and, you know, all of this talk that they were saying to the employees about what they wanted to do just wasn’t a reality.

So, eventually, what happened is WTI contacted us and said, “Hey, you know, we want to basically keep this thing alive somehow. So how can we do that?” And so we worked with them to help them communicate with this buyer, in particular, that was based out of Barcelona, where the idea actually came from, and they agreed to buy it. They got a great deal on it. And so they didn’t have to put a lot of capital upfront. But the deal was, they would have to invest on the backend and shipping to all these customers, so that these customers that paid wouldn’t have to pay any more money.

So WTI offered us some cash to, like, help out because they knew, like, our life had just cratered at this point. And we said no. We declined the cash. I just said, “We should not accept any compensation for this. I just want this thing to survive and I want these customers to get their F%#king products.” So, basically, that’s the deal and that’s exactly what happened. So right now, they’re shipping . . .

He admits he made many mistakes as an entrepreneur and that some of the problems were because of his lack of understanding of investors and contracts that he signed with those investors.

March 23, 2019, 11:49:29 AM
Reply #117

HDBitchin

Administrator

The helmet is getting a bunch of frequent flyer miles.

It has now made its way back to the eBay seller who has now turned it around and is scheduled to be delivered to my doorstep on March 28th.

March 25, 2019, 05:35:25 PM
Reply #118

HDBitchin

Administrator
The helmet is getting a bunch of frequent flyer miles.

It has now made its way back to the eBay seller who has now turned it around and is scheduled to be delivered to my doorstep on March 28th.
The Skully test helmet has arrived a couple of days early.

The review that I will do and also be done by some of local Arizona members will be in this thread...

Skully FENIX AR Review

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.