April 14, 2021, 01:16:06 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: LiveWire Catches on Fire  (Read 399 times)

March 12, 2021, 04:42:57 PM
Read 399 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
Apparently this LiveWire motorcycle was on the dealer showroom floor charging when it caught on fire. They rolled it outside and called the fire department.

HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

March 13, 2021, 07:30:06 PM
Reply #1

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

Worst problem I’ve had so far, was a fail to charge.  It was soon after I brought it home and I was playing with it under the carport.

I kept plugging and unplugging the bike, (the reason why escapes me)  until the bike had enough and refused to charge.

The dealer didn’t waste any time and picked up the bike the next day.

The bike was returned later that same day. The dealer replaced the 12V battery, (there is one 12V out of six batteries) saying it was defective.

I am a little skeptical, Harley introduced a firmware update a few weeks later for all the LiveWire bikes.

Cheers,
Ferrous

March 13, 2021, 09:15:14 PM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Behind every LiveWire is a big company that in my opinion will not let it fail. It is a machine and by virtue of that fact there will be the occasional failure but you have admit this one had drama!
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

March 14, 2021, 09:47:51 AM
Reply #3

maniacmac

Global Moderator
The bike catching fire wasn't what concerns me about this video, it was the fact they rolled it outside and didn't know to put the fire out.
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

March 16, 2021, 07:49:19 AM
Reply #4

mqqn

Global Moderator
And manly stud-muffin harley dude takes action immediately and starts recording the smoldering with his phone.

I fear for manhood.

best

mqqn
Like Like x 1 View List

March 16, 2021, 08:57:37 PM
Reply #5

bc45

Global Moderator
The Orange gloves on the ground look like the high voltage safety gloves for working on the  high voltage side of Hybrid cars, I am surprised there is not quick disconnect pull switch for the high voltage battery required by law on hybrid cars, so emergency responders can quickly disconnect the battery  and not get fried when responding to accidents or fires.

March 17, 2021, 12:11:19 PM
Reply #6

WantMore

Supporting Member
I am sure that the HD engineers will be taking that one in for investigation.
Smoke em if you got em

March 20, 2021, 01:06:01 PM
Reply #7

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Sad day.
Two Lane Highway

March 20, 2021, 03:35:47 PM
Reply #8

maniacmac

Global Moderator
The Orange gloves on the ground look like the high voltage safety gloves for working on the  high voltage side of Hybrid cars, I am surprised there is not quick disconnect pull switch for the high voltage battery required by law on hybrid cars, so emergency responders can quickly disconnect the battery  and not get fried when responding to accidents or fires.
   Plan A= The Harley-Davidson LiveWire is equipped with an emergency cut loop located inside the top cover under the vehicle inlet/charge port in a section of the low voltage harness. Cutting the loop shuts down and disables the high voltage system outside of the high voltage battery. If the right-hand switch module is damaged or not accessible, deactivate the high-voltage system using the cut loop.
   Plan B = stand around and watch it burn ( don't forget to videotape it )
Like Like x 2 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer