May 14, 2021, 07:36:16 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: The Homeless Channel  (Read 438 times)

March 06, 2021, 08:21:13 AM
Read 438 times

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
By now, unless you live in a cave, you've been aware of the growing homeless problem we have.
There is no one reason for this and so far, no one solution nor do I beleive there will ever be.
Here in Hollister, it is growing and our town is trying to figure out why.
I've lived here more than 30 years and pretty much know when someone new comes to town as do lots who live here.
Lately we've been having issues with unknown homeless who are doing lots of bad things like breaking into cars, buildings, etc.
They are not from this town at all and I'm trying to figure out how they get here since they have no form of transportation.
Well, talking to some local enforcement type people who will remain nameless, certain towns are dropping their homeless problem off into other towns and leaving them.
The results of this hit home as I went to check on my enclosed trailer that I have owned since 2003. It is a beauty (Hallmark) single axle and just the thing for transporting Harleys.
I got to the trailer rental space which was enclosed nicely for years and found that my tires on this trailer had been slashed. The skylight had been through an attempted rip off and pretty much destroyed.
This had happened to motor homes and such that reside there. The owner of the rental space is a friend of mine who I have ridden with before.
He brought in guard dogs for the property and is now installing IR cameras throughout the property.
It's hard to feel sorry for these people when there is no effort on their part to get out of the situation they're in.
PD tells me that most are hard core druggies and have mental issues because of the drug abuse.
There are no misplaced homeless families in our town as there are facilities to help them through this rough time.
Jails are full of the hardened criminals that have felonies and PD does not want to deal with homeless unless they break the law. (note: they never show up for arraignment either)
I'm not sure if there is a solution but, there needs to be.
Around here they stay away from homes since there's a real good chance these homeless trouble makers are allergic to lead. {=

- Nowhereman

March 29, 2021, 05:26:25 AM
Reply #1

mqqn

Global Moderator
It is sad - but in a word, the cause, in my opinion, was deinstitutionalization -

https://www.thebalance.com/deinstitutionalization-3306067#

best

mqqn
Agree Agree x 1 View List

March 31, 2021, 10:25:17 AM
Reply #2

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Somehow I missed the original post.  @Nowhereman , hopefully your trailer is repaired and the storage situation has improved. 

It is sad to realize how truly serious this issue is.  There is no simple solution.  "Coming up with funds" and setting up shelters is a noble goal, but this situation shows that not all of the homeless are victims of the economy.  Placing those with serious mental issues in shelters would endanger other residents.
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

April 01, 2021, 06:30:24 AM
Reply #3

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
Trailer has been fixed for about $275.00 and I have found a few things on it that time has done it's job on so I'll get to fixin those also.
I have had a ton of interfacing with the homeless in my time as head of a retail store.
I can tell you without any doubt that the ones causing issues are pretty much not liked by the others.
Some actually tell PD of what the bad ones are doing or have planned to do.
These trouble makers are not mentally disturbed as they have honed there MOs in stealing and some are impressive working in teams.
In all cases I have been involved with, drugs are at the root of these people's actions.
They don't want help, they will lie till the cows come home and at times quite convincingly.
I have no pitty for these people at all.
The ones truly displaced are getting help by the county here but, the others I feel no sympathy at all for.
- Nowhereman

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer