March 02, 2021, 03:31:56 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Pan American 1250  (Read 189 times)

February 23, 2021, 03:25:22 PM
Read 189 times

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

Well, this might change things a little.

In case you've been living inside a tool chest, disconnected from everything, or, on the road, you may not be aware of Harley's New Pan American 1250.   Marketed as an Adventure Touring motorcycle, it looks like an interesting ride.

Maybe you already know that a few months ago I flipped my 2014 Electra Glide for a 2020 Livewire.  More details here..  Recently, The @Princess Bueller and I have questions about that being a good idea.  No more riding two up, no more "Highway Dancing", no more carefully planned "Touring Music Playlist" blasting on the stereo.  We agree, that's something we'll miss.  More recently, we've briefly discussed the new Indian Challenger and perhaps... correcting that error. We've even gone as far as the local dealer to kick tires!  I wrote a little review about the Challenger and other bikes at this link:  2019 Progressive® International Motorcycle Show, Long Beach, Ca..  It will take a little reading before you get to my thoughts about the Challenger, I hope it's worth it for you.

Now, back to the new Harley.  I'll have to lay hands on one before I can give a real opinion, but, at first blush it might be worth considering because:
MSRP:      Harley starts at $17,319, Indian, $22,999
WEIGHT:  Harley, 559lbs  Challenger, 831lbs, (both listed as "Wet Weight")*
SEAT HT:  Harley, 33.4"–34.4",  Challenger, 26.5"  (Pan America™ 1250 Special can be equipped with Automatic Ride Height, 32.7"–33.7")
GRUNT:    Harley, 150 hp, 94ft-lbs,  Challenger, 122 HP, 128 ft-lbs
* Even if the Challenger's weight is similar to my former Glide, it was far more manageable for me.

Here's what got me started thinking about the Pan American, from Revzilla:  2021 Harley-Davidson Pan America 1250 and Pan America 1250 Special first look

I'll follow this up if/when I get to take a test ride, the Pan American is supposed to be available this May, at a dealer near you.

I'd like to hear your initial take on this, Good, Bad, or Indifferent.

Cheers,
Ferrous

February 23, 2021, 03:47:01 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
I really like the Pan America. The price being at $17K makes it even more appealing but my new retirement voice says “Tank just be happy with what you have got”. And I will listen to that “voice”.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

Like Like x 1 View List

February 23, 2021, 06:26:35 PM
Reply #2

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I really like the Pan America. The price being at $17K makes it even more appealing but my new retirement voice says “Tank just be happy with what you have got”. And I will listen to that “voice”.
That voice wouldn't be your wife's voice would it?  Now if I can only get my "voice" to say yes.
Funny Funny x 2 View List

February 23, 2021, 06:28:58 PM
Reply #3

maniacmac

Global Moderator
  Well, this might change things a little.

In case you've been living inside a tool chest, disconnected from everything, or, on the road, you may not be aware of Harley's New Pan American 1250.   Marketed as an Adventure Touring motorcycle, it looks like an interesting ride.

Maybe you already know that a few months ago I flipped my 2014 Electra Glide for a 2020 Livewire.  More details here..  Recently, The @Princess Bueller and I have questions about that being a good idea.  No more riding two up, no more "Highway Dancing", no more carefully planned "Touring Music Playlist" blasting on the stereo.  We agree, that's something we'll miss.  More recently, we've briefly discussed the new Indian Challenger and perhaps... correcting that error. We've even gone as far as the local dealer to kick tires!  I wrote a little review about the Challenger and other bikes at this link:  2019 Progressive® International Motorcycle Show, Long Beach, Ca..  It will take a little reading before you get to my thoughts about the Challenger, I hope it's worth it for you.

Now, back to the new Harley.  I'll have to lay hands on one before I can give a real opinion, but, at first blush it might be worth considering because:
MSRP:      Harley starts at $17,319, Indian, $22,999
WEIGHT:  Harley, 559lbs  Challenger, 831lbs, (both listed as "Wet Weight")*
SEAT HT:  Harley, 33.4"–34.4",  Challenger, 26.5"  (Pan America™ 1250 Special can be equipped with Automatic Ride Height, 32.7"–33.7")
GRUNT:    Harley, 150 hp, 94ft-lbs,  Challenger, 122 HP, 128 ft-lbs
* Even if the Challenger's weight is similar to my former Glide, it was far more manageable for me.

Here's what got me started thinking about the Pan American, from Revzilla:  2021 Harley-Davidson Pan America 1250 and Pan America 1250 Special first look

I'll follow this up if/when I get to take a test ride, the Pan American is supposed to be available this May, at a dealer near you.

I'd like to hear your initial take on this, Good, Bad, or Indifferent.

Cheers,
Ferrous
  Just in  time to ride it to Too Broke in June

February 23, 2021, 06:57:02 PM
Reply #4

Princess Bueller

Mac...how scary (or funny) is it when I read your reply post - I can hear you saying it in my head with a smirk. It can't be cause we spend way too much time together, I'm a bad influence.  8)

Ferrous as usual is spot on correct. (Don't tell him I told you.)  I miss having him pat me on the leg, which is the cue for Hang on, I'm going to do something fast and nuts and probably stupid. I never pictured myself as a passenger, and I was skeptical about being one, but it's my favorite thing.

Say what you like good or bad about the Livewire, but I really like that ridiculously thrilled look on Ferrous' face when he goes out on the WattPig.

Princess Bueller
The best memories begin with the most crazy ideas...

February 23, 2021, 06:58:23 PM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
That voice wouldn't be your wife's voice would it?  Now if I can only get my "voice" to say yes.
That could be a factor...
HDBitchin aka Tank
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

February 23, 2021, 07:00:26 PM
Reply #6

HDBitchin

Administrator

Say what you like good or bad about the Livewire, but I really like that ridiculously thrilled look on Ferrous' face when he goes out on the WattPig.

Princess Bueller
Ha ha! The WattPig!! I love it!
HDBitchin aka Tank

February 24, 2021, 12:10:41 PM
Reply #7

Princess Bueller

Or Watt Hog.... haha
The best memories begin with the most crazy ideas...
Funny Funny x 1 View List

February 24, 2021, 12:31:58 PM
Reply #8

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Watt Pig?    Watt Hog?

Such shocking language
If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate.

February 24, 2021, 08:21:18 PM
Reply #9

bc45

Global Moderator
Hope the Bike does good, It looks nice.

February 25, 2021, 09:25:28 AM
Reply #10

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Mac...how scary (or funny) is it when I read your reply post - I can hear you saying it in my head with a smirk. It can't because we spend way too much time together, I'm a bad influence.  8)

I don't know about being a bad influence but you are Ferrous' overachievement

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer