March 01, 2021, 09:17:32 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Jiffy stand and Front Fender  (Read 467 times)

February 05, 2021, 01:08:54 PM
Read 467 times

PtOfAnOleStoneWall

8) I'm new to HDBitchin. This looks to be a great forum. Hello from NE Oklahoma.
I ride a 2018 Heritage Softail, color = Twisted Cherry and 107 cid. Love this bike.
It's going to be riding time soon enough, and I find my self needing to fix a couple of things.
After a winter's ride I got into some mud, and in a couple of days I washed the bike. The jiffy stand rotated forward laying the bike on it's left side on my driveway while I scrubbed on the right side of the bike.  >:(
FIRSTLY I ask all you softail owners to get a picture of the frame detail and study the pieces needed for the jiffy stand. These are Items number 9, 13, 32, 30 17, 11 and 5 on the HD parts illustration. Have somebody hold your bike vertical and look at the bottom of the bracket the jiffy stand rotates in. Make sure the bushing and snap pin are in place !!! When it comes time for scheduled maintenance make sure the HD mechanic carefully looks this system over and lubricates. Replace pin, 2 bushings and snap ring if in doubt. It's a bit tricky task. (If the bike leans too much and it doesn't feel right, fix it soon!)
SECONDLY During the fall onto the driveway the 5 gal. wash bucket was in the way of the front fender. There are a couple of dents as a result and the fender is out of alignment approximately 3/4". Not sure what path to take. Beat the fender straight, buy a new fender with correct paint from HD or search out spare parts after somebody has customized their softail. I'm OK with staying stock.
Ideas ?

February 05, 2021, 02:58:50 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for posting your experience and I agree the jiffy stand should be on your maintenance checklist and lubrication should be a part of that inspection.

Some related information on the Jiffy stand that might be interesting to read if you haven’t already done so...

Jiffy Stand Maintenance

That ill name Jiffy stand

Remove and Replace Harley Jiffy Stand (kickstand) Spring - DIY

My thoughts on the damaged fender is that you might want to try and repair it and save the cost of buying new. It might be a good learning experience to tackle the repair and paint if you have never never done that kind of work.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

February 05, 2021, 07:37:24 PM
Reply #2

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum from N.Az.  You can probably straighten your fender, Harley uses good steel in their fenders and are repairable. I pounded out a dent in a customer fender and didn't have to repaint it just buff.

February 06, 2021, 03:48:44 PM
Reply #3

bc45

Global Moderator
@PtOfAnOleStoneWall
Welcome to Bitchin from Washington State, Thanks for sharing the info.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

February 09, 2021, 10:25:59 AM
Reply #4

WantMore

Supporting Member
@PtOfAnOleStoneWall

Welcome to the HDBitchin family!
Smoke em if you got em

February 09, 2021, 03:32:44 PM
Reply #5

PtOfAnOleStoneWall

Thanks for the Jiffy Stand links. I learned that my 2018 Softail has a different style of pivot pin and bushings and spring clip. I like the old style better.
This bike has a pin with a round top, two brass bushings and a snap pin on the bottom side. I will continue to research "a better way". This type of stand relies on a clip pin to keep the entire assembly together and 750# of motorcycle. Torqueing a bolt to 50# seems far better.

I appreciate your encouragement to straighten out the existing fender. Thanks.

February 16, 2021, 03:37:09 AM
Reply #6

PtOfAnOleStoneWall

This "driveway fall" is almost repaired.
1 - The left 4-inch dia running light is repaired. The light housing required some encouragement to be round again plus a new chrome bezel.
2 - The front fender was easier to move back to is original shape than I thought. Thanks again for the encouragement. There are two places that require touch up paint if such an activity works on this fancy factory color. We'll see.
3 - The jiffy stand was successfully repaired per previous post. (It still seems that H-D should do a recall on this design, and research continues for "a better way".)
Now it's time for the snow to go away and do some riding.
Like Like x 1 View List

February 16, 2021, 07:16:45 AM
Reply #7

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Thanks for the update

February 19, 2021, 10:24:02 PM
Reply #8

bc45

Global Moderator
@PtOfAnOleStoneWall
- The front fender was easier to move back to is original shape than I thought. Thanks again for the encouragement. There are two places that require touch up paint if such an activity works on this fancy factory color. We'll see.
if it is a two part touch up practice on a small scrap, my paint is metallic, I got best results by mixing the silver with the red first to get proper mix then just put the red   

Here is a link to the post.
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php?topic=4926.0

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer