December 04, 2020, 10:33:42 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: 2016 Harley Breakout  (Read 433 times)

November 12, 2020, 04:51:48 PM
Read 433 times

gquarles

Hello Guys,

I am new to this. Just bought a 2016 Harley Breakout and it's my 1st Big Boy Bike. I just towed it for 12 hours in the rain and get it home and it does not start. The lights will come on and I hear the fuel pump turn on; but will not turn over. the odometer and gearing lamps will not turn on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thx

November 12, 2020, 05:05:11 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
If as you say it spent 12 hours with rain beating down on it you may have some wet switches like the Start and Run/Stop switches on the handlebars.

Blow dryer might speed the drying process up.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

November 13, 2020, 12:43:42 PM
Reply #2

gquarles

The hair dryer did not make a difference. I checked all connections and battery. Nothing is out of place that I can see and the bike fired right up prior to the road trip..I will keep at it..thx

November 13, 2020, 01:26:35 PM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
@gquarles

Have you checked the fuses?
HDBitchin aka Tank
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

November 15, 2020, 07:42:36 AM
Reply #4

J F Go

Community Advocate
Take your battery out and have it load tested. Start with easy stuff first. It you have to get a new one, bring it home and fully charge it, on a battery charger at 2 Amps, even though they tell you it's ready to go. Tenders are not chargers. Good luck and welcome to the forum @gquarles

November 17, 2020, 06:54:03 PM
Reply #5

gquarles

Ok. I did find a burnt fuse. The A&P fuse. I replaced it and the dash came on with an error code (BUSErr) and then went off again. I figured that its something minor; I just don't know much about bike yet. I am reading a lot and asking you guys for help before I take to the shop. I appreciate your assistance..

November 17, 2020, 07:31:29 PM
Reply #6

maniacmac

Global Moderator
a low battery in the fob can cause it.

November 17, 2020, 07:40:27 PM
Reply #7

gquarles

There is no fob for this bike..

November 17, 2020, 09:15:55 PM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
Ok. I did find a burnt fuse. The A&P fuse. I replaced it and the dash came on with an error code (BUSErr) and then went off again. I figured that its something minor; I just don't know much about bike yet. I am reading a lot and asking you guys for help before I take to the shop. I appreciate your assistance..
Your model and year motorcycle has what is called a CAN Bus or HD LAN. If you added anything electrical that is not HD LAN compliant it might interfere with the Bus communication and cause the BUSErr.

One thing that seems to work when the bus gets locked down and you see BUSErr is to try removing the main (maxi) fuse for about a minute, and see if it resets/clears when you plug it back in.

Otherwise you might check the ECM connector for proper seating. It is a high density connector and proper mating is sometimes difficult.

You said the A&P fuse was blown and blew again after replacing it? There is a fuse if my memory serves me correctly called the P&A fuse. It stands for parts and accessories. If that fuse is blowing you might have something plugged into the P&A plug which you should find under the seat. That plug will be controlled with an Aux Switch on the fork. Look behind the fork and you should see a switch.
HDBitchin aka Tank

Informative Informative x 1 View List

November 25, 2020, 10:31:15 PM
Reply #9

bc45

Global Moderator
@gquarles The BUSErr, was more than likely caused by the blown fuse causing the dash not powering up it would not be able to talk to the other modules, now that the Odometer is alive check for codes, write down any then clear them. see if they come back.
I tend to agree with H.D Bitchin the 12 hr trip in the rain more that likely caused some water intrusion and cause a short that blew the fuse. now that things have dried out did the fuse blow again?

November 27, 2020, 04:40:30 PM
Reply #10

gquarles

Well, I ended up taking the bike to the dealership and they found 2 pinched cables going to the gas tank, condensation which corroded 2 terminals and a bad battery. All good now and I truly appreciate all the help and suggestions.
Like Like x 2 View List

November 27, 2020, 05:37:17 PM
Reply #11

HDBitchin

Administrator
Well, I ended up taking the bike to the dealership and they found 2 pinched cables going to the gas tank, condensation which corroded 2 terminals and a bad battery. All good now and I truly appreciate all the help and suggestions.
Thanks for the update.
HDBitchin aka Tank

November 28, 2020, 09:28:50 AM
Reply #12

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Glad you're back on the road.
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

December 01, 2020, 08:33:42 PM
Reply #13

bc45

Global Moderator
@gquarles  Nice looking ride.
Thanks for the update.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer