October 24, 2020, 10:16:04 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: oil mess  (Read 195 times)

October 16, 2020, 09:04:38 PM
Read 195 times

bc45

Global Moderator
When I do the oil service on my lift the oil will drain on the lift cross member so I use a piece of cardboard to funnel the oil into the pan.
What does every one else use?

October 16, 2020, 09:49:28 PM
Reply #1

maniacmac

Global Moderator
When I do the oil service on my lift the oil will drain on the lift cross member so I use a piece of cardboard to funnel the oil into the pan.
What does every one else use?

I use those plastic form to fit oil drain, you can get one from your local mobile tool man. You can shape them how you want and they are easy to clean afterwards

October 16, 2020, 10:12:02 PM
Reply #2

bc45

Global Moderator
@maniacmac Ill look into one I forgot those were made.

October 17, 2020, 06:43:27 AM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
@bc45 I think this might be what @maniacmac is referring to.

Oil Change Funnel

I use a J&S Jack and they make a drain panel (they call it a “drain pan”) that is positioned similar to how you are using your cardboard in the picture. Here is a link to the jack I have. It shows the “oil pan”.

https://jsjacks.com/product/loaded-motorcycle-lift-combo/
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

October 17, 2020, 07:34:43 AM
Reply #4

bc45

Global Moderator
@bc45 I think this might be what @maniacmac is referring to.

Oil Change Funnel

I use a J&S Jack and they make a drain panel (they call it a “drain pan”) that is positioned similar to how you are using your cardboard in the picture. Here is a link to the jack I have. It shows the “oil pan”.

@HDBitchin  after seeing the J&S drain pan I think I have a project to make. I am not sure why I didn't think about building that before.
Like Like x 1 View List

October 17, 2020, 12:07:49 PM
Reply #5

maniacmac

Global Moderator
@bc45 I think this might be what @maniacmac is referring to. yes it is

Oil Change Funnel

October 18, 2020, 07:04:11 AM
Reply #6

mqqn

Global Moderator
I don't put the bike on the lift for oil changes - I just set it on the jiffy and use the nice HD oil drain pan I bought when I did the inner primary bearing.

It's nice as it is as wide as the primary chain-case and contains all the oil that drains out when you remove that cover.

My bike is pretty simple though - some of you with large baggers might not be able to get to the drain plug without lifting the bike up.

best

mqqn

October 21, 2020, 08:41:33 PM
Reply #7

bc45

Global Moderator
I  looked around in my shop and found a piece of sheet metal left over when I installed heat runs in the basement. It is not pretty but i it to a length that would alow the drain pan to be all the way off the lift legs and also catch the draining's from  the primary. it does not look very nice I just hand bent it and rolled the side edge  with pliers.
but it should work good.

Like Like x 1 View List

October 22, 2020, 06:59:18 AM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
That is great @bc45 !
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer