October 31, 2020, 01:07:09 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Bike Starts When Key Is In Accessory  (Read 261 times)

September 30, 2020, 01:15:14 PM
Read 261 times

300 Harley

Hello Im Having A Little Issue, I Have A 1996 Electra Glide. When I Put My Key In And Turn It To Accessory My Head Light And Tail Lights Turn On & I Can Start Up And Run. I'm Not Sure How To Tackle This Issue. My Local Shop Wants 95 Dollars Per Hour To Even Begin To Look At It. Can Anyone Help Me Figure This Situation Out? Thanks

September 30, 2020, 02:55:25 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
@300 Harley welcome to the forum.

Do you have the manual for the bike? It might be the best money that you will ever spend on the bike if you plan to own it into the future.

I don't have the wiring diagrams for that model year but it sure sounds like the wiring or the contacts in the ignition switch assembly has crossed/shorted over to bring the start circuit into play when it should not be the case.

The Ignition switch assembly is just 3 wires and the typical wiring for the switch is below in the attached picture.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

Agree Agree x 2 View List

September 30, 2020, 08:16:10 PM
Reply #2

300 Harley

Thanks, I Do Have A Manual. I Just Have To Take Some Time To Do A Little Research On This Wiring Diagram For The Inner Fairing To Make Sure Everything Is Correct.

September 30, 2020, 08:18:25 PM
Reply #3

bc45

Global Moderator
@300 Harley   agree with HD Bitchin gain access to the ignition plug and turn ignition to acc. and use a test light on the Red/Black wire if it has power the switch is bad.

October 12, 2020, 01:25:11 PM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Any update on the wiring @300 Harley ?
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

October 26, 2020, 08:44:37 AM
Reply #5

WantMore

Supporting Member
Hey @300 Harley just like when someone stops to help you on the side of the road you came here for help and help was given. Some feedback would be appreciated so that we can all learn what it takes solve an issue like you are having.

Don't be a hit and run poster.
Smoke em if you got em

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer