October 31, 2020, 12:57:56 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Loose clutch hub  (Read 456 times)

September 21, 2020, 05:57:46 PM
Read 456 times

Fatboyhd

After tighten clutch hub there is about .020 gap allowing the hub to have slack. Bearings are in great shape. Installed a baker compensator.

The clutch hub will not tighten down completely on the shaft. It appears as if the spacer is too thin but that makes no sense since this is the first time it has been taken apart. The shaft has no play in it. Checking it was a dial indicator I can get approximately .004 movement with a crowbar. Any ideas?

September 21, 2020, 07:08:03 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
I am guessing the clutch hub was off because you installed the Baker Compensator?  Was the clutch hub bearing replaced and maybe not pressed back into the hub all the way?
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

September 22, 2020, 09:50:43 AM
Reply #2

Fatboyhd

I did not replace the bearing.  I cannot find any play in it at all.  It seems kind of weird to me how sloppy the hub is on the shaft. But there is no damage to either one.  I pulled it back apart because the primary had got extremely hot to the point that the clutch stopped working.

September 22, 2020, 10:28:49 AM
Reply #3

maniacmac

Global Moderator
The clutch hub should seat firmly on the trans shaft, no shims from the factory. The hub should not be sloppy fit on the shaft. The trans shaft determines the position of the hub and the hub determines the position of the clutch shell.

September 22, 2020, 10:44:46 AM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
The clutch hub should seat firmly on the trans shaft, no shims from the factory. The hub should not be sloppy fit on the shaft. The trans shaft determines the position of the hub and the hub determines the position of the clutch shell.
I agree with @maniacmac (no shim or spacer).

@Fatboyhd I just took a look at the manual to be sure because in your first post you said "It appears as if the spacer is too thin but that makes no sense since this is the first time it has been taken apart."

The clutch hub does not use a spacer.
HDBitchin aka Tank
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

September 22, 2020, 11:48:05 AM
Reply #5

WantMore

Supporting Member
Did you clean the threads and get the old loctite out?
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 View List

September 22, 2020, 04:46:26 PM
Reply #6

Fatboyhd

There is it is inside the hub do you have to remove the retainer to get to it.

September 22, 2020, 04:51:34 PM
Reply #7

HDBitchin

Administrator
You have 3 motorcycles listed in your profile. What motorcycle is that picture from?
HDBitchin aka Tank

September 22, 2020, 05:19:46 PM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is a link to your 2010 CVO Ultra’s clutch hub. That model uses a hydraulic clutch.

2010 Ultra CVO Clutch Hub

It mentions a thrust washer and a spring washer that is built into hub assembly.  They are not separate parts that are sold individually.
HDBitchin aka Tank

Informative Informative x 1 View List

September 22, 2020, 06:10:02 PM
Reply #9

Fatboyhd

2010 Ultra CVO.

September 22, 2020, 06:22:40 PM
Reply #10

HDBitchin

Administrator
What was said in the above quote is probably pretty much the issue. You are likely not seated firmly on the trans shaft. If you had a worn out Compensator that needed changing then it is possible that the movement that the old Compensator was allowing has damaged the trans shaft and you are not able to seat the clutch hub due to that damage.
HDBitchin aka Tank

Like Like x 1 View List

September 25, 2020, 04:12:17 PM
Reply #11

maniacmac

Global Moderator
You don't always get the answer you are hoping for
Agree Agree x 2 View List

October 12, 2020, 01:29:17 PM
Reply #12

HDBitchin

Administrator
Any news to share @Fatboyhd ?
HDBitchin aka Tank

October 26, 2020, 08:56:52 AM
Reply #13

WantMore

Supporting Member
Hey @Fatboyhd just like when someone stops to help you on the side of the road you came here for help and help was given. Some feedback would be appreciated so that we can all learn what it takes solve an issue like you are having.

Don't be a hit and run poster.
Smoke em if you got em

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer