August 06, 2020, 03:00:11 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Valve Spring Removal Tool  (Read 247 times)

July 13, 2020, 04:48:35 AM
Read 247 times

J F Go

Community Advocate
Good morning boy's and girls. Just finished up installing S&S 551 cams, lifters and oil pump in a 110 motor. We thought it had a collapsed lifter, that's what we were told, but it turns out that it's a broken valve spring. We are looking at the Nubs Valve Spring Remover that allows you to remove the spring without tearing down the motor. Was wondering if any of you guys had used this tool before we go and spend any of our hard earned on it. Any info is appreciated. Thanks 8)

July 13, 2020, 05:58:23 AM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Looks like a neat tool. Here it is...

Good explanation of how it works and saves time is given in this next video...

HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families
Like Like x 1 View List

July 13, 2020, 12:08:55 PM
Reply #2

J F Go

Community Advocate
Afternoon all. We pulled the rocker boxes, both sides, to expose the valve springs. There is nothing obvious, to the naked eye, as to the condition of the springs. They look fine. The question I have is, at this point do I need to pull the springs out of the head to know if they are broke or not. If it is still not obvious, do I need to perform some kind of test and if so what test ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. 8)

July 13, 2020, 05:53:57 PM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
I think the only way you can see everything is to remove them.

Is there a method to test them at this point? Not that I can find.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

July 13, 2020, 11:16:27 PM
Reply #4

maniacmac

Global Moderator
A broken spring is usually visible. What you can't check for is spring tension although not a common problem for Harley springs. A cylinder leak down test is the best method to test valve seating

July 14, 2020, 05:10:23 AM
Reply #5

J F Go

Community Advocate
Thanks guys. Not sure what he's going to want to do. I will pass on the info.

July 20, 2020, 06:33:20 PM
Reply #6

J F Go

Community Advocate
Update. We decided to buy the spring removal tool and we will be replacing the springs with a much better spring. The Screamin' Eagle spring is a known problem in the 110 and has been from day one. Something about it not allowing full travel of the valve to open and close. The new spring allows for the valve to open and close properly. If anyone needs more info about this call Scott at Hillside Cycles in upstate New York. He's pretty knowledgeable about these motors and he is always willing to talk you through it. Hope this will be helpful to someone else here. As soon as we get the tool and replace those springs I will update again. Hope you and yours are all well. 8)   

August 01, 2020, 05:01:42 AM
Reply #7

mqqn

Global Moderator
Thanks for the update and keeping us all in the loop @J F Go -

Much appreciated and I hope the bike is back up and running like it should!

best

mqqn

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer