July 10, 2020, 11:01:44 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Take that C.A.R.B. Nazis  (Read 243 times)

June 26, 2020, 06:15:52 AM
Read 243 times

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
Anyone who rides in California has the greatest ridiing weather anywhere in the world. With that comes always the Dark side and for us it's the California Air Resources Board or CARB.
They were put on this earth by some sick individuals who live to hate motorcycles plain and simple.
Well, this time I found a way to kill a few birds with one stone. I have a shorty 2 into 1 that fits great on my FLSTF and it produces good power in the mid to top end range.
It's also pretty loud which seems to go hand in hand with exhausts.
CARB won't allow us to order aftermarket performance pieces and have them shipped here; I don't know how it passed law but the commies got it through.
Anyway, you have to use other means to get aftermarket performance stuff into the state.
Here's what I did to thumb it back in they're faces.
The exhaust outlet for this pipe is around 3.5 inches. Where the collector transitionss to the outlet is 2.5 inches approximately.
I picked up a C.A.R.B. approved replacement CAT converter for rice rockets from Amazon for around $20.00.
This unit is 1 inch in diameter, about 2.5 inches long. I removed the butterfly in the exhaust that came from the factory and installed this CAT in suspension at that point which is at the end of the collector portion of the pipe, but not the outlet.
So, now I have a 2.5 collector with a 1 inch CAT suspended in the middle of it.
Upon starting, I noticed just a slight reduction in bark at idle. Rolling off I instantly noticed a nice dose of low end grunt.
On the road as I increased RPM, the loud bark that pissed neighbors off at night became now very smooth and non irritating.
At WOT it was loud and pulled real hard but, not with the ear biting bark.
I'm pleased as the mod did not change the manners of her but just took the edge off the irritation factor enough to be borderline civil.
Very happy on all angles as it was a solid low buck cure using CARB Nazi components against them.
I'll stick my phone down into the exhaust and snap a pic today to show.
- Nowhereman

June 26, 2020, 08:50:56 PM
Reply #1

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
👌
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

June 27, 2020, 07:48:48 AM
Reply #2

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
Here is the promised pic of the pipe mod.
- Nowhereman
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer