March 01, 2021, 09:02:45 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: This sounds like an expensive fix...  (Read 4505 times)

FerrousBueller, Rider Ron and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

February 17, 2021, 06:39:51 PM
Reply #60

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
Nice creeper! I see it holds beer nicely and you have several church keys tucked safely in that drawer.

Having the proper tools within easy reach is always the way to go!

Cheers,
Ferrous

February 17, 2021, 07:25:24 PM
Reply #61

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I recognize that orange mac bottle opener. I had one just like that at too broke lol.

February 18, 2021, 10:29:35 AM
Reply #62

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
I recognize that orange mac bottle opener. I had one just like that at too broke lol.

I wanted to show you it is being well taken care of.

Cheers,
Ferrous

February 18, 2021, 04:51:59 PM
Reply #63

maniacmac

Global Moderator
And used properly on appropriate beverage
Like Like x 1 View List

February 25, 2021, 06:37:10 PM
Reply #64

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

Before I get to todays update I want to tell you I had my battery checked at the local auto parts store.  It has been on a trickle charger since all of this began.  I was told the battery is in good health and should last a long time.  Another potential problem eliminated.

And then!!!

Everything comes apart nicely, including Compensator Bolt.  The combination of heat and turning the bolt back and forth had little to do with anything, I believe.  It may have more to do with the "Blue" flavored Loctite I found on the bolt.

What I need help with, (today) is removal of the Rotor.  You might make out in the above picture that the inner primary case has a small lip.  The lip is large enough to interfere with the Rotor and will not allow it to come out.  Is there any clever tricks to getting past this?  I know I can loosen the inner primary, but, I don't want to.  I don't think I have a socket the right size to remove clutch and flywheel.  Also, I would prefer not to grind on the inner primary if I can avoid it.

Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Cheers,
Ferrous

February 25, 2021, 11:00:00 PM
Reply #65

bc45

Global Moderator
on my 09 FLHTCK 96cid I took the inner primary cover off to get the rotor out. they sell a kit with new bolts and seals and inner gasket. I have seen other people take a Dremel and grind the case down enough to let the rotor come out. I chose to take the inner primary off. 
Agree Agree x 1 View List

March 01, 2021, 05:06:02 PM
Reply #66

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
on my 09 FLHTCK 96cid I took the inner primary cover off to get the rotor out. they sell a kit with new bolts and seals and inner gasket. I have seen other people take a Dremel and grind the case down enough to let the rotor come out. I chose to take the inner primary off.

This appears to be the most popular option, at least on this forum.  After a couple self-imposed "Honey-Do" items were knocked out.  I went out and got a gasket.  I see where a gasket kit like you described might have been a better idea.

I made a quick dash to the Parts store and grabbed a 1 3/6" socket, the Clutch Hub Mainshaft nut came out more easily than I thought it would.  Reading deeper in the service manual, it tells me to remove starter, after removing exhaust, oil tank, rear fender and other stuff.  That's a whole lot of parts to take off before pulling the inner primary.

I am now officially stuck.  I've looked into removing just the starter bolts while leaving everything else in place.  I can't get to them very well.  Worse yet, I don't think it will be easy to put those bolts back.

Have I overlooked something, or, do I really need to go through all the service manual steps?

Cheers,
Ferrous

March 01, 2021, 07:09:23 PM
Reply #67

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I leave the starter in place after removing the bolts. I use a 6-inch ball-end Allen socket on the starter bolts. It's great to be an ex-Mac Tools Dist with all the cool tools lol.

March 01, 2021, 08:05:09 PM
Reply #68

bc45

Global Moderator
I agree with Maniac a ball end socket and leave the starter in place, I have not done one the inner primary on  the heritage. A friend that had a 88 cid softail  cant remember the  year when he did hid it was tough but was able to get the starter bolt out and left the starter and the bolts hanging in the bike. I think he had to stand on his head and look sideways with one eye to get to one of the bolts but did get it with out taking the oil tank out. but again I dont remember the year but it was a 88cid so it would be earlier than yours.
Wish I could be more helpful.

On the FLHTCU it is easier because there is no oil tank in the way.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer