July 11, 2020, 01:22:24 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: lower fairings  (Read 386 times)

May 22, 2020, 11:24:55 AM
Read 386 times

maniacmac

Global Moderator
As most of the members know I do a lot of 300 + miles a day rides. I thinking of adding lower fairings to my S.G. I would love some feedback on the topic-lower fairings

May 22, 2020, 06:55:12 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
I have never owned a bike with lowers so I won't be offering any direct experience on this one but I can offer one observation.

I have ridden with some riders that did have them. On one occasion as we all rode through a rain storm I saw what might be a benefit. It wasn't a rain storm where we stopped to put on rain gear so when we did stop I noticed that the rider with the lower fairings had a fairly dry lower leg area which wasn't the case for me as I was soaked.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

May 22, 2020, 08:58:03 PM
Reply #2

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I should add I'm looking at the vented type to purchase. I'm planning a ride to Canada this fall and will be returning along the Washington/Oregon coast

May 23, 2020, 12:10:49 PM
Reply #3

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
I suggest that you PM @r_k_dragon  and ask his thoughts.  He has had a Road King P and now has an ultra.

Ron
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

May 25, 2020, 08:14:21 AM
Reply #4

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

@maniacmac,

I'm very luck to have two bikes.  One with, one without leg fairings.  I could take them or leave them.  On the upside the fairings do a better job of keeping my legs dry in the rain.  They also provide some extra storage for small stuff.  On the downside they reduce air circulation when in slow and go traffic.  Engine heat and the heat from the catalytic converter are not swept away as much.  It can be mildly uncomfortable at times for my right leg.

I'd like to see what leg fairings you're considering, factory, aftermarket, any links?

Cheers,
Ferrous
Like Like x 1 View List

May 25, 2020, 09:09:14 AM
Reply #5

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Thanks for the reply. I have removed my catalytic convertor because of the heat. Here's a link to one on eBay

Black Lower Vented Leg Fairing For Harley Davidson Touring Street Glide 2014 - 2019 | eBay

Our special build for you is starting to take shape, I pound out a 1/8 scale gas tank

May 25, 2020, 02:32:24 PM
Reply #6

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
Thanks for the reply. I have removed my catalytic convertor because of the heat. Here's a link to one on eBay

Black Lower Vented Leg Fairing For Harley Davidson Touring Street Glide 2014 - 2019 | eBay

Our special build for you is starting to take shape, I pound out a 1/8 scale gas tank

@maniacmac,
  Oh, so those are the factory fairings!  Just know, those vents don’t allow much air to pass through.  When it’s hot, opening them will make it “still hot”.  However, closing them when it’s cold does make a difference.

I bought another header to gut the cat out.  I did a crap job re-welding and it needs to be redone.  Right now it’s collecting dust in the garage.

Any performance gains without the cat?

Cheers,
Ferrous
Like Like x 1 View List

May 25, 2020, 04:42:53 PM
Reply #7

maniacmac

Global Moderator
  @maniacmac,
  Oh, so those are the factory fairings!  Just know, those vents don’t allow much air to pass through.  When it’s hot, opening them will make it “still hot”.  However, closing them when it’s cold does make a difference.

I bought another header to gut the cat out.  I did a crap job re-welding and it needs to be redone.  Right now it’s collecting dust in the garage.

Any performance gains without the cat?

Cheers,
Ferrous
Yes it runs cooler and I remapped the ECM. As you know I live in the high country where it's not as hot as Phoenix. Cutting the cat out helped a lot with the heat on my right leg, not a problem now. I cut my out with the pipe still in place, I think I posted a how-to, maybe Larry can find it.

May 25, 2020, 05:56:19 PM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
Yes it runs cooler and I remapped the ECM. As you know I live in the high country where it's not as hot as Phoenix. Cutting the cat out helped a lot with the heat on my right leg, not a problem now. I cut my out with the pipe still in place, I think I posted a how-to, maybe Larry can find it.
Did a quick look and I didn't find it. I will do a deeper look later.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

May 25, 2020, 08:04:58 PM
Reply #9

bc45

Global Moderator
My 09 had lowers and my 2016 has lowers, being from a place that we see a bit of rain I will tell you they help alot in that aspect, They also help in cooler temps directing the cold air from direct blast, in our heat up to the occasional 90, and mid to upper 80 in the heat of summer here I open the lower vents and turn the upper fairing wings to direct air flow over me to stay cool. I don't usually feel to hot unless stuck in traffic. I don't see a great amount of difference riding in our summer temps between the Heritage with the wind screen on and the FLHTK with the vents open. 
Like Like x 2 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer