May 25, 2020, 09:33:48 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: 1986 softail no spark/Ultima 18-530  (Read 162 times)

May 16, 2020, 04:05:03 PM
Read 162 times

Azz9069

Hey guys,

I have a 1986 softail with no spark.
I re wired a new start button/killswitch and it fired up and died. Put it back together and now the start button does nothing and when I jump it off the starter I’m getting no spark. Tested the connuinty from the start and run switch and it’s all fine.

It’s running an Ultima 18-530 and the led on the box don’t light up with any faults/never seen the leds on  (it’s grounded to the frame)

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Aaron

May 16, 2020, 05:23:22 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Found the below info in the Ultima instructions.

The diagnostic LED’s are used to locate shorts or overloads. Pinched or bare wires, faulty components or too much current draw usually causes these. If an LED is on, turn off the bike, locate and correct the prob- lem, then turn the bike back on. The bike must be turned off to reset the protection circuit.

If no LED’s are lit, but turn signals and dash lights do not work properly, make sure the control box main ground has a good connection to the chassis ground

From what you said you are validating the above two paragraphs from the instructions. As you have said, you have no LED’s that are lit and you have a good chassis ground.

Usually the last area that was worked on brings on problems so I would ask a couple things about your two switches being changed to understand things better.

You start out saying no have no spark. Is that why you changed the two switches? Then you got one successful start and put things back together and then no spark again?

Battery health might be a concern. Does the headlight come on when you switch to the ignition position? What does the battery voltage read? A good battery should read 12.75 volts.

Linked below is some good battery information.

AGM Battery Care and Maintenance - DIY
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,195.0.html

This thread linked below has some things on typical start circuitry that might be worth reviewing.

Starting and Charging Troubleshooting - DIY
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,884.0.html

HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

May 16, 2020, 06:34:46 PM
Reply #2

Azz9069

When I got the bike 2 weeks ago the start switch was abit dicky and I had to touch the black w red wire and grey w black together to get it to run.
I replaced the run and the kill switch and it fired up one and then died.

I removed the switch and when I touch them together now I get nothing’s

If I put power to the black w red it will turn over

Also just put a brand new battery in it this morning cause I thought that might be the issue
Cheers

May 16, 2020, 08:26:09 PM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
The Run/Stop switch goes to the coil and the ignition module. Therefore it is the likely reason for no spark. I think you need to rework that area.
HDBitchin aka Tank 
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families
Agree Agree x 3 View List

May 21, 2020, 02:30:49 PM
Reply #4

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Any news @Azz9069 ?

Follow up is always appreciated.
Two Lane Highway

May 21, 2020, 09:06:48 PM
Reply #5

Azz9069

Hey
Sorry guys. I dropped it off to the mechanics 2 days ago.
He believes the Ultima module has burnt something out inside.
It’s a pain cause it’s a sealed unit.

Ultima Australia is absolutely garbage with customer service called,emailed and left a msg on Facebook with no response.

As far as I know his taken the module to a guy that’s good with circuits and stuff to open it up and have a look.

Really hoping to have it back soon have only ridden it around the block once!!!

Will let you guys know what the outcome is once I find out!

Cheers
Aaron

May 22, 2020, 07:19:07 AM
Reply #6

HDBitchin

Administrator
Thanks for the update @Azz9069

Hope you get to ride soon!
HDBitchin aka Tank 

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer