May 25, 2020, 08:04:33 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Young Men and Pocket Knives (A Short Story)  (Read 362 times)

May 09, 2020, 03:22:12 PM
Read 362 times

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

At work the other day I was asked for help at our knife display.  The customer was a young man who had just turned ten.  He was accompanied by his Mother and Father.  His father was beaming with pride as he explained that his son had earned the right to purchase his first knife.  I was very eager to see this particular sale all the way to the end.
  When I was a similar age, I acquired my first knife in a trade with another kid down the block.  I don’t remember what I gave for it, but, I was the new, proud owner of a somewhat used Buck Stockman #301.
  The most important memory of my that trade was Walter Cross.  Walt was a very tall, big man with a very intimidating look about him.  He was a former Motor Cop who still rode an equally imposing (at the time) Harley Electra Glide.  With all of his largeness it was a real treat to discover that Walt also had an incredible sense of humor.  With a powerful deep voice it was amazing to hear him spin a yarn or tell a joke.
  Walt was a family friend and we would visit often with his wife Jeannie, and his 3 sons, John, Jimmy and Jean.  I was very happy to show Walt my “new to me” knife.  He took it in his massive hands and carefully inspected it, immediately noticing how dull it was.  He informed me it was too dull to cut a fart and it required a major sharpening.  We went to his garage where the ‘Glide was kept and he began sharpening the knife for me.  While sharpening, he explained what each of the 3 blades were for.  The Spey blade, was a general use knife suitable for skinning game and castrating livestock.  The Sheepfoot, was for general carpentry and trimming Sheep’s hooves.  When he got to the larger, Clip blade Walt told me it was a multi purpose design suitable for general “Nose Picking” and whatnot.  I nearly fell over with laughter, I just didn’t expect it, and now, nearly 5 decades later, it still brings a smile to my face.

I introduced the young man to his knife the same way Walt did for me.  Father and Son got a laugh, Mom rolled her eyes and quietly said, “I wish you hadn’t said that”.  I told them the origin of my introduction to the young mans knife and included Walt’s name.  It was important to me to pass along Walt’s name.
  All during the showing of the knife I was extra careful to handle it in the safest way I know how, including closing it up before handing it over for their inspection.  Because it was the display knife I made it a point to give it a good wipe down with WD-40 before finally handing it over to the boy.  I think the young man walked out a little taller than he was before.
  When I returned to my station I apologized to my co-worker for taking so long and explained to her that I had to do it the way I did.  She’s a very bright young woman and understood perfectly.
  What happened to my Buck knife you might ask.  It didn’t end well I’m sad to say.  I loaned it to a friend while camping.  When he returned it the “Nose Picking” blade had somehow been pried out of its position in the handle.  I kept that knife for many years, intending to send it back to Buck for repairs.  Unfortunately, it was lost during a move from one house to another years ago.
  Thank You Onica, for your patience.
  Thank You Walt, for the lessons.

Safe Travels,
Ferrous

P.S.  As soon as this is posted, I’ll be clicking the “Buy It Now” button on E-Bay for a replacement.
Like Like x 2 View List

May 09, 2020, 06:08:34 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Great story.

I have a Buck 703 pocket knife that was a Christmas present to my Father that I gave to him. When he passed my Mother knew that I had given it to my Father gave it back to me. It is a very special knife as I know that he carried it for many years. Now it is carried by me.
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families
Like Like x 2 View List

May 09, 2020, 06:30:27 PM
Reply #2

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
Great story.

I have a Buck 703 pocket knife that was a Christmas present to my Father that I gave to him. When he passed my Mother knew that I had given it to my Father gave it back to me. It is a very special knife as I know that he carried it for many years. Now it is carried by me.

@HDBitchin,

When I saw my father 2 years ago he was still carrying the small pocket knife I gave him as a gift many, MANY years ago.  Hadn't thought it might become mine later.

Cheers,
Ferrous
Like Like x 2 View List

May 09, 2020, 07:37:20 PM
Reply #3

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Great stories, Guys.  👍

Ron
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

May 10, 2020, 09:07:29 PM
Reply #4

WantMore

Supporting Member
What a great story.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 View List

May 11, 2020, 07:23:44 AM
Reply #5

J F Go

Community Advocate
Thanks for sharing your stories guys. Pretty cool. Now that you have passed on your story to that young man, with the new knife, he will have a story to pass on.
Like Like x 1 View List

May 13, 2020, 08:25:57 PM
Reply #6

bc45

Global Moderator
Great story thanks for posting it.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

May 16, 2020, 08:07:44 PM
Reply #7

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

Thank You all for the nice comments!

My new/used knife arrived today and it's in satisfactory shape.  I didn't think it would be difficult to find the manufacture date range of my knife and it wasn't.  A quick Google search to me to the Buck Knives Website and a page that has a simple list of date ranges.  This one appears to have been made between 1973 and 1985.  You can look up your Buck Knife here:  How Old is My Buck Knife?-Buck's Date Code Chart-Buck Knives OFFICIAL SITE

If I still had my original knife I'm sure it wouldn't be in this good condition.

It's clean enough for me and most of the wear appears to be on the outside.  I'm guessing it saw little use other than a pocket weight.  All the blades appear in good shape.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but, this isn't the only knife I've lost.  Yes, I've lost a small handful of knives but none meant as much to me as this one.  I like to think the lessons from Walt made this knife so important.

Thank You Walt, Safe Travels!
  Ferrous

May 17, 2020, 09:26:26 AM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
Great story.

After seeing your pictures @FerrousBueller I thought I might share mine.

Thanks for the link to Buck that gives the year. It looks like the one I have is a 1986. I wasn’t sure but sounds about right.

HDBitchin aka Tank 
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

May 17, 2020, 12:31:47 PM
Reply #9

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
After seeing your pictures @FerrousBueller I thought I might share mine.

Thanks for the link to Buck that gives the year. It looks like the one I have is a 1986. I wasn’t sure but sounds about right.

@HDBitchin,

The knife you gave your Dad looks similar to the knife I gave my Dad.  Ain't that Weird?

Cheers,
Ferrous

May 17, 2020, 01:09:23 PM
Reply #10

HDBitchin

Administrator
  @HDBitchin,

The knife you gave your Dad looks similar to the knife I gave my Dad.  Ain't that Weird?

Cheers,
Ferrous
We have good taste!
HDBitchin aka Tank 
Funny Funny x 1 View List

May 17, 2020, 02:29:27 PM
Reply #11

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

@HDBitchin,
   So, remember what I just said about your knife being similar to my Dad's?  Well, let's not rush to trust my memory.  I just texted my Dad and he sent some snapshots of his knife.  It's a Buck, Model 527, Single Blade, Lockback.

Neither one of us can remember when I gave it to him.

Cheers,
Ferrous

May 17, 2020, 02:40:38 PM
Reply #12

HDBitchin

Administrator
Well memory is probably dependent on the FIFO method of memory management. FIFO = First In First Out

It is a great looking knife!
HDBitchin aka Tank 
Funny Funny x 1 View List

May 17, 2020, 06:54:43 PM
Reply #13

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
A pocket knife sounds like a nice family gift idea.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 2 Like Like x 1 View List

May 18, 2020, 07:32:04 AM
Reply #14

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
A pocket knife sounds like a nice family gift idea.
  @NoSuperSlabs,

Is that a hint?

I suppose you’re right.  I have given small pocket knives as gifts for years.  I can’t think of a better gift for someone important.

Cheers,
Ferrous
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer