April 07, 2020, 03:34:22 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Google’s Coronavirus Website  (Read 503 times)

March 21, 2020, 08:26:25 PM
Read 503 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
You might recall in one of the Press Briefings on the Coronavirus that the President did recently that a Coronavirus website was announced that was to be rolled out by Google. It was finished yesterday. The intention of this website is to provide accurate information with much of it sourced from the CDC and WHO.

Here is that website...

https://www.google.com/covid19/

Informative Informative x 1 View List

March 22, 2020, 06:31:45 AM
Reply #1

mqqn

Global Moderator
Thank you, Larry -

My son was sick for a week and finally on this past Friday he went to the doctor. They said he has all the symptoms, and likely has the woo-shoo flu, but since he is young (mid 30s) and otherwise healthy, they sent him home and told him to isolate for another week, don't kiss the kids or wife and get rest and plenty of fluids.

I wonder just how many people really have or have had this, and I continue to believe that this is being totally blown out of proportion.

This has truly given me an idea of what "abundance of caution" truly means.

I hope all is well down in AZ.

best

mqqn

March 22, 2020, 07:17:23 AM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
You are welcome Andy. With all the news out on the airwaves I think the above link is the best source.

Hope your son gets well soon.

I really don’t know what to think about this. Question is, has China been transparent and is their now better numbers they are reporting true? Look at what has happened to Italy.

March 22, 2020, 08:29:25 AM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
I copied the below from a friend’s Facebook post. I think it is worth a read...

—————————————

Excellent explanation per a medical professional: "Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once one of these animal viruses mutates and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is simply unintelligent right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on to how dangerous this is.
Informative Informative x 1 View List

March 22, 2020, 01:40:46 PM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Harbor Freight is stepping up! Good on you Harbor Freight!

Harbor Freight Donating PPE to Hospitals

Like Like x 1 Love It!! Love It!! x 1 View List

March 22, 2020, 02:23:49 PM
Reply #5

WantMore

Supporting Member

Apple is doing a similar thing.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/22/21189881/apple-donating-masks-amazon-bezos-cook-coronavirus
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 2 View List

March 22, 2020, 02:59:56 PM
Reply #6

mqqn

Global Moderator
You are welcome Andy. With all the news out on the airwaves I think the above link is the best source.

Hope your son gets well soon.

I really don%u2019t know what to think about this. Question is, has China been transparent and is their now better numbers they are reporting true? Look at what has happened to Italy.

China has never been transparent, and Italy is not exactly what I would call a "clean" environment.

30,000 people die each year in the USA alone from infuenza - ever heard of the flu season? Every so often there is a new strain of influenza, H1N1, Sars, etc etc. It happens. The difference this time is social media and "orange man bad" syndrome.

When this is all settled, I hope we can all take two steps back and have a look at the bigger picture.

We are being manipulated.

To quote the awesome Steven Wright - Half of the people you know are of below-average intelligence.

best

mqqn
Agree Agree x 1 View List

March 22, 2020, 03:17:37 PM
Reply #7

HDBitchin

Administrator
I agree social media and the news media are out of control. Without the hype from them it would be a better world with less panic.

The various flus that you mentioned are each a virus that the immune system recognizes and can fight. We have a different situation here with Coronavirus and the immune system doesn’t know how to fight it. This is human versus animal. Our bodies don’t know how to fight animal virus.

Social distancing is one way to fight the spread. At this point if we don’t our health care system will be overrun. Having two daughters that are both Nurses I am hearing a good bit first hand and everyone needs to at this point fight the spread the one way we can, social distancing.

March 22, 2020, 04:02:50 PM
Reply #8

mqqn

Global Moderator
The human immune system fights each new virus by producing antibodies. That is what vaccinations do, they allow the body to produce antibodies to effectually immunate the body from the infection.

Can you provide any factual evidence that this new virus is any different than SARS, H1N1, Bird Flu, or any of the other "most recently named" epidemics that our world has faced?

Most if not all of the mutations of the influenza virus have come from animal / human contact, and mostly in the China "wet-market" regions. Just a case of fact.

What I have gathered is that the profound difference in this virus is that it can remain infectious in aerosol form for up to three hours, wereas the "standard" flu cannot do so - and thus the virus is more able to be spread.

However, it is no more "deadly" than your standard old influenza - not that anyone has been able to quantitatively show; we aren't testing enough people to create that statistic.

Again - I submit that we are being manipulated - and I hate when our medical professionals are also being manipulated.

Social distancing and good hygiene have always been good ways to prevent spread of viruses, social media did not need to teach us this.

Another great way to avoid viruses is riding a motorcycle in un-populated areas - good thing for all of us, eh? :)

best

mqqn

Agree Agree x 2 View List

March 22, 2020, 09:15:59 PM
Reply #9

HDBitchin

Administrator

Another great way to avoid viruses is riding a motorcycle in un-populated areas - good thing for all of us, eh? :)

best

mqqn
As Martha Stewart would say, “It’s a Good Thing”

March 22, 2020, 10:16:46 PM
Reply #10

HDBitchin

Administrator

Harbor Freight is joined by Apple! This is what we need. Companies stepping up to do all they can. Good on you Apple!

Apple CEO Tim Cook says the company is donating “millions” of masks to healthcare workers

March 28, 2020, 08:26:27 PM
Reply #11

HDBitchin

Administrator
I stole this from @Pat Savage ‘s Facebook page.

It is something that is positive to share in this thread...

March 29, 2020, 04:05:05 AM
Reply #12

Pat Savage

:) Totally cool brother! It is meant to be shared and the words I really mean as well.
Host of The Savage Roads biker adventure series, film maker, musician, blogger & poker nut in love with life and it's beauty riding round the world on a Harley!

March 29, 2020, 06:21:30 AM
Reply #13

HDBitchin

Administrator
:) Totally cool brother! It is meant to be shared and the words I really mean as well.
Good to see you on the forum my friend! Stay safe!
Optimistic Optimistic x 1 View List

March 29, 2020, 12:02:09 PM
Reply #14

Pat Savage

I will try to post more often.  <\
Host of The Savage Roads biker adventure series, film maker, musician, blogger & poker nut in love with life and it's beauty riding round the world on a Harley!
Like Like x 2 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer