December 12, 2019, 01:33:53 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Saddlebags question.  (Read 255 times)

November 29, 2019, 07:55:26 AM
Read 255 times

Whorehay

Hey y'all,
My question is about a 2015 Dyna Street Bob. The bike has the quick release sissy bar. Viking says on their website that the specific model saddlebags will work without relocating tail lights. However it won't work with the quick release.
My thought is if I just use a longer bolt on the front bag mounting hole to go through all the quick release docking point. Then just drill a hole in the bracket for the rear bag mounting point, that that will keep me from having to move the lights. It will eliminate the quick release option but I don't remove it any way.
What do y'all think?
Anyone else done that?

Thanks,
Whorehay

November 29, 2019, 08:41:51 AM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
I just paid a visit to their website and saw the caution about the Viking Dyna Specific Model...

Fitment Note :Dyna Specific bags are designed to work on stock Harley Bikes. Modifications to rear fender may hinder installation of these saddlebags.Also, specific bags will not work if you have HD Quick Release Sissy Bar or Back Rest attached.

https://www.vikingbags.com/dyna-fat-bob-viking-dyna-specific-motorcycle-saddlebags

I think what you are suggesting sounds like it could work. On their website they have a Customer Service Chat box that followed me on every page that I clicked on. I would try asking that question to that chat box.

November 29, 2019, 09:04:32 AM
Reply #2

Whorehay

I asked that question there and they said they would email me back in 1-2 days. So I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone else has done it.

November 29, 2019, 09:10:27 AM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
I asked that question there and they said they would email me back in 1-2 days. So I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone else has done it.
We have a few Dyna riders here. Hopefully they can come back with some advice.

November 29, 2019, 09:16:11 AM
Reply #4

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Hey y'all,
My question is about a 2015 Dyna Street Bob. The bike has the quick release sissy bar. Viking says on their website that the specific model saddlebags will work without relocating tail lights. However it won't work with the quick release.
My thought is if I just use a longer bolt on the front bag mounting hole to go through all the quick release docking point. Then just drill a hole in the bracket for the rear bag mounting point, that that will keep me from having to move the lights. It will eliminate the quick release option but I don't remove it any way.
What do y'all think?
Anyone else done that?

Thanks,
Whorehay

That is what I did on my Dyna SuperGlide.  Worked fine.

Ran the bolts from the fender inside out to the bags, and used a large washer and nut inside the bag.  By matching the bolt length they did not interfere with whatever was stowed.  I did use some black stand-offs as I had the HD bag install kit.  The bags were the Harley lower end ones from the parts catalog.   Photo attached.

There is a style of bags with a strong slope to the rear that will fit with the turn signals in the stock position.  Don't particularly like the looks, but they seem to work out OK.

Recommend the turn signal relocation kit.  If you don't move the signals their location limits the size of the bags you can use and/or pushes them forward too far.  Besides, the relocated signals and layback license plate simply look better.  It's not a difficult install, just a bit time consuming with a lot of steps.  The part I didn't like was the disassembly and reassembly of each signal to reroute the wires.  I also spliced and soldered the wires rather than doing the routing as instructed, faster and simpler.

The silver Dyna was mine.  The rider of the black FXRL liked the setup enough to redo his bike with the same signal relocation kit. 
"No man ever steps in the same river twice,
For it is not the same river and he is not the same man."

--Heraclitus
Like Like x 1 View List

November 29, 2019, 01:48:00 PM
Reply #5

Whorehay

I ordered the Viking bags. Harley dealer couldn't tell me the dimensions of their bags and what they showed me they had was very small like the Viking bags I put on my son's XG 500 and I know the bags I ordered are bigger than those.
I don't need really large bags, just to keep rain gear gloves, hat, garmin,  regular daily stuff when not using it. I use a large sissy bar bag to carry extra stuff for road trips.
I'll keep y'all posted on whether my installation went as planned.
Like Like x 2 View List

December 02, 2019, 01:25:45 PM
Reply #6

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member

I'll keep y'all posted on whether my installation went as planned.
Please do because I am sure many folks will be interested.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 2 Like Like x 1 View List

December 10, 2019, 05:57:55 AM
Reply #7

Whorehay

I got the bags installed. Little bit of a pain but not too bad. I got more time than money, lol. Having a difficult time getting pics on here to show how I did it

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer