October 17, 2019, 09:06:20 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: 2001 HD Softtail Fatboy Security System FOB missing  (Read 414 times)

October 06, 2019, 11:53:42 PM
Read 414 times

KIWI FATBOY

Hi folks, new guy on the block here, new to Harley Davidson but after only a few weeks, falling in love with my Fatty.
Bought the bike with only one key and no fob, seller told me he thats all he got. Bike is ligit and has clean title and runs nice. Does all the normal things like flashing indicators when ignition comes on, just like with a fob in the vicinity. Maybe the fob is hidden somewhere on the bike, who knows? If I buy a new fob, can I reset that one to my bike? Are there any other ways around this to consider? I was told that my bike might be running in an "overwrite mode" of the security system without a fob but with a PIN number, so how could I find out about that? Would be great if you could help, thanks!

October 07, 2019, 07:02:31 AM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

We have several threads on Harley-Davidson security systems that should be helpful. Follow the below link to the DIY collection.

All You Might Need to Know About Harley Davidson Security Systems - DIY

October 07, 2019, 08:09:21 AM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Does all the normal things like flashing indicators when ignition comes on, just like with a fob in the vicinity. Maybe the fob is hidden somewhere on the bike, who knows? If I buy a new fob, can I reset that one to my bike? Are there any other ways around this to consider? I was told that my bike might be running in an "overwrite mode" of the security system without a fob but with a PIN number, so how could I find out about that? Would be great if you could help, thanks!
One thing to know is based on the year of your motorcycle you would have button fob design and not the button-less kind that worked in the vicinity of the motorcycle. A 2001 HD would have a button fob system that required the rider to push the button. But I would suppose that a button-less system could be added to an older year.

PIN info is covered in the link I previously posted.

October 09, 2019, 03:52:47 PM
Reply #3

WantMore

Supporting Member
@KIWI FATBOY

You say you have a flashing of the “indicators” when the ignition comes on. That is odd. Are what is flashing the turn signal lamps (indicators) or maybe the CEL (Check Engine Lamp) in the speedo?

The flashing of the turn signals would be the result of a security fob that is “not” in the vicinity and means the alarm is tripped. A buttonless fob in the vicinity when detected would result in “no” flashing turn signals and any attempt to start the bike is going to stopped. The lights flashing are the alerting of a tripped alarm.

If you take your seat off the bike you will likely find the TSSM security module and the antenna.

If it is the CEL that is flashing you might have a diagnostics code from a logged fault.  To run the diagnostics you can follow the below link for your 2001 model.

DTC List for 2003 and Older Harleys
Smoke em if you got em

October 09, 2019, 04:20:22 PM
Reply #4

KIWI FATBOY

@KIWI FATBOY

You say you have a flashing of the “indicators” when the ignition comes on. That is odd. Are what is flashing the turn signal lamps (indicators) or maybe the CEL (Check Engine Lamp) in the speedo?

The flashing of the turn signals would be the result of a security fob that is “not” in the vicinity and means the alarm is tripped. A buttonless fob in the vicinity when detected would result in “no” flashing turn signals and any attempt to start the bike is going to stopped. The lights flashing are the alerting of a tripped alarm.

If you take your seat off the bike you will likely find the TSSM security module and the antenna.

If it is the CEL that is flashing you might have a diagnostics code from a logged fault.  To run the diagnostics you can follow the below link for your 2001 model.

DTC List for 2003 and Older Harleys

Thanks for your advise! I have attached a photo of the part under the seat but couldn't find any module there, except the battery, a fusebox and the ignition module. Could it be that the unit for the alarm sits underneath the ignition module behind a plastic cover in a hole in the rear fender? I have not looked into that yet!
As for the indicators coming on at ignition ON, there is only the green arrows on the console coming ON with it, not the check engine light. This is the main reason that made me suspicious about the security system on my bike. As I know now, the 2001 Fatboys have a push button fob which needs to be pushed to activate the alarm, the later ones had the vicinity buttonless fobs. I will have to remove the plastic cover in the rear fender and see if the module is in there.
Like Like x 1 View List

October 09, 2019, 09:29:56 PM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
@KIWI FATBOY

Looking at the below link to a online Parts microfiche it looks like your security module would mounted on an electrical bracket (item 28) which will behind the oil tank.

Online Microfiche Parts For 2001 Fatboy

October 09, 2019, 11:11:54 PM
Reply #6

KIWI FATBOY

Thanks a lot for that! I can see from the fiche that it must be hidden behind that plastic cover where the ignition module is fitted on. That module is screwed on it but the screws go into some sort of bracket with threats. What I forgot to mention and this comes to mind after seeing the actual FOB and Remote Control/Turn Signal Canceler Module being only for International Models, my Fatboy has been imported to New Zealand in 2011 from the USA. So it would be a US-Version. But what would be the difference? There are obviously two different FOBs and modules then! I have a picture of a security module here. Maybe we can identify the difference. Also, on the page with the microfiche it says on the left "2001 FLSTFI SOFTTAIL FATBOY (EFI) (BX)" which I understand to be for the fuel injected version. My bike has a carburettor?

October 10, 2019, 08:11:07 AM
Reply #7

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is the link to the carburetor version. Looks like the security module is same part number. The security module is P/N 68923-00D.

2001 Fatboy Carbureted Microfiche

These motorcycles are spec’d such that you would have one or the other, a turn signal canceler or a security module. In later year models HD adopted the terminology of TSM and TSSM. The TSM is the Turn Signal Module and the TSSM is the Turn Signal Security Module. The security module that you have is likely controlling both... turn signals and security system like a TSSM would do.

The parts fiche is for domestic models which would apply to your motorcycle since as you say it is an imported USA model.

October 10, 2019, 12:57:04 PM
Reply #8

KIWI FATBOY

Thanks, had a look at that but seems to be pretty much the same as for the EFI model. No matter what I find, if I want to resolve my issue with this I would have to get a FOB and match it to my system or simply leave it as it is. Still haven't worked out the procedure how to manually override the security system with a PIN and the signal buttons. Is there a way to see if and what PIN has been programmed via the signal buttons and odometer? I have watched several videos about this on YouTube. These demonstrate how to set a PIN with a FOB at hand for the case it might get lost one day and then being able to use the PIN to start the bike, but for obvious reasons there seems to be no way to find out a PIN without the matching FOB. I have tried to contact the previous owner about this but he seems to be ignorant about my request.

October 10, 2019, 01:21:45 PM
Reply #9

HDBitchin

Administrator
@KIWI FATBOY

Yes without a FOB near the bike you can’t get a readout confirming the current PIN setting. But you might try using your last 5 digits of your VIN for the disarming that can be done when a FOB is lost. The default for the PIN will be the last 5 digits of your VIN unless the previous owner went about using the process to change it.

October 10, 2019, 02:25:50 PM
Reply #10

KIWI FATBOY

I'd say the best is to contact a local dealership and see what they say. There must be other cases like my bike, for sure. I have already found some advice from a guy who works for a HD Dealer, unfortunately he is based about 3 hours ride from my place, he send me the photo of the module to compare, which I haven't done yet. Don't really want to ride the bike like this, or even just disconnecting the battery which might cause a STOP to all the fun. I have to admit, I probably fell for the good condition of the bike rather than details like this, not knowing the trouble it could cause me.
No doubt, it will teach me a lesson when I see the price to pay to resolve this problem. Call me a "Greenhorn"!
By the way, I also got some trouble with the seat on my bike, a couple of weeks ago the small screw that holds the rear seat on the fender came loose, knocked off the clip on the fender insert and mangled up the paint around it, there is a small indentation as well. I was at a friend's place who rides a Harley Dyna and we managed to make another clip to secure the threaded insert and re-fit the seat but I later used a big stainless steel washer and a spring washer to bolt it down, both seats are kind of sloppy and I also had to re tighten the screw on the rear fender several times since.  I know there are some seats that also have a large bolt to the left and right frame where the riders seat is bolted on with brackets, but my seat only sits in the bike's frame with a tongue in the front and that screw in the rear fender. There are no brackets or even just holes for them in the seat on my bike. Is this actually the original seat? I know, its OFF TOPIC!

October 10, 2019, 05:35:32 PM
Reply #11

HDBitchin

Administrator
@KIWI FATBOY

The frame should have two locations that item 29 (quantity of 2) should screw into that will hold the seat down further.

2001 Fatboy Seat Assembly

October 10, 2019, 06:02:34 PM
Reply #12

KIWI FATBOY

Yes, the two bolts are still in the bikes frame, but there are no brackets on the plastic seat shell nor holes where they could be fitted. The seat looks like a typical fatboy seat where the rear seat is screwed on the back and held by one screw on the rear fender. Can't see how this is going to hold together at all with the rider and a pillion passenger on the back. Again, I been "told" by some HD owners/experts that there are seats with and without the mountings left and right. Might have to make up some brackets myself and fit it properly or get another seat. The seat on my bike could be of another bike I would say.

October 11, 2019, 10:54:07 PM
Reply #13

KIWI FATBOY

Made another interesting discovery today. I removed the ignition module from the plastic cover that sits in the rear fender and removed the screw that holds it, hoping I would find the security module behind it but all I could see was the rear tire. Also found a grey electrical connector tucked in beside the battery. Where does that belong to? A bit puzzled now because according to the microfiche, the security module should be somewhere there. Or do I have to remove the box with the fuses and even the battery to find it? Also discovered that the rear seat bracket that attaches it to the front seat was broken, so trying to repair it with zip-ties and epoxy glue, it's made from plastic, like the whole seat. Still can't find any holes where the missing brackets left and right could go on the front seat. I can't believe that this seat arrangement is expected to carry a rider plus a passenger and is only held on the rear fender by a 1/4" screw! Are they out of their mind up there in Milwaukee? Or could it be that this seat is actually of another model altogether because it doesn't look like any of the seats on the microfiche!?

October 12, 2019, 08:33:28 AM
Reply #14

HDBitchin

Administrator
With the seat missing the tabs to secure it to the two side points of the frame I would have to guess that it is not a stock seat.

The grey connector is probably your diagnostics. See this post for a picture of the data plug...

https://hdbitchin.com/index.php?topic=1426.msg12837#msg12837

Your lights flashing at start up but a MIA (missing in action) security module... very strange. I will research that first generation security system to see if I can make sense of the flashing behavior.

One theory might be that you don’t have a security system but rather just a miss behaving turn signal module. If that is true then finding the module in question behind the oil tank will tell us. You will have one or the other (security module or turn signal module) but not both. 

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.