October 17, 2019, 08:35:52 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Southeast Utah Touring Ride  (Read 265 times)

October 04, 2019, 03:21:38 PM
Read 265 times

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Five of us from the forum rode up to Utah to explore the scenic southeastern corner.  Here are a few photos from the earlier part of the ride, the other members will be reporting in with their video's and photos.

On the first day along Hwy 95 just west of Blanding, Ut, we stopped to see the Butler Wash indian ruin.  We had a mile round trip hike to the cliffside view of the pueblo tucked into a cave.  The structure must have had an interesting population there, three of the kivas (ceremonial chambers) were round reflecting the influence of the Anasazi - Mesa Verde - culture and a square kiva of the Hohokam of southern Arizona.  I had also heard of a natural bridge or arch somewhere near, and found it.  The wash eroded a basin and then a bridge for the water to fall into the canyon.  Photos of each attached.

We also stopped at the Natural Bridges National Monument and rode around the loop to each of the three bridges in White Canyon.  A bridge is formed from running water and each of the three under different circumstances.  The photo shows the Kachina Bridge, but we would have had to hike down into the canyon to really see what they were like.  One purpose of our ride was to see where each would like to return to for more extended exploration.

The town of Hite disappeared under Lake Powell but the Park Service has a station there with camping and boat ramps.  Unfortunately, the water level of Lake Powell is so low there is no longer boat access.  We crossed the Colorado River near there and the photo shows the low level.  In the middle distance is the confluence of the Dirty Devil River with the Colorado River, and you can just see the bridge further up Glen Canyon.   Hite is just out of the picture to the right.

We fueled up at Hanksville and continued west on Hwy 24 towards Capital Reef National Park.  The 'reef' is a historic name for a barrier and this one is called the Waterpocket Fold.  It runs for miles north and south with very few openings to allow someone to get through.   Our passage through was the road paralleling the Fremont River.  The 'capital' is a Navajo sandstone monolith that resembles our capital in Washington.  Evening was approaching when we left the area, and the photo is looking east back to the reef.  The mountain in the distance is the Henry Mountains, the dominant geographic feature in the area and the last location in the lower 48 states to be surveyed.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice,
For it is not the same river and he is not the same man."

--Heraclitus
Like Like x 3 View List

October 04, 2019, 05:08:24 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
As @AbueloBill said above, 5 of us from the forum went on a ride in SE Utah. The 5 that went on this ride are seen below in the picture. 

We have from left to right, AbueloBill, r_k_dragon, Rider Ron, bobosoftail and HDBitchin.

I just finished loading 129 pictures in the Gallery and if you want to get a look before I select a few to put in this thread follow the below link...

2019 Utah Ride

If you want to see all 129 pictures with minimal clicking use these links and click on one of the pictures on the page to launch a slideshow from that picture and then forward...

Slideshow 2019 Utah Ride

#2 Slideshow 2019 Utah Ride

#3 Slideshow 2019 Utah Ride

The slideshows and the pictures are loaded newest to oldest order. So you start at the end of the trip and progress back in time.

October 04, 2019, 07:05:31 PM
Reply #2

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Brings back memories, rode theses roads many times. Great pictures, great friends
CARS SUCK!
Like Like x 1 View List

October 04, 2019, 08:17:01 PM
Reply #3

J F Go

Community Advocate
Looks like a good time to me. Stay safe and have fun. 8)

October 05, 2019, 10:19:05 AM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Below is a map of the trip that we took. The Start and Stop points differ for each of us as we are scattered around the Phoenix metro area and r_k_dragon hails from Yuma, AZ so his ride has a bit more miles on his odometer.

Some ride videos that I took on my GoPro camera are being edited and will be posted later. Also as I get some of my thoughts organized I will bring a few pictures from the Gallery into this thread and provide comment on the picture's location.

October 09, 2019, 10:24:51 PM
Reply #5

bc45

Global Moderator
@AbueloBill  and @HDBitchin  looks like you all had a great ride. Thanks for the pictures, looking forward to the video.

October 12, 2019, 05:11:01 PM
Reply #6

WantMore

Supporting Member
Look forward to the videos!
Smoke em if you got em

October 12, 2019, 08:45:36 PM
Reply #7

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Look forward to the videos!
I hope @HDBitchin  posts a video of our ride down from the Hogback (or Hell's Backbone, take your pick) to the Escalante River.  The highway sign advises its a 14% downgrade and there aren't any guardrails to spoil the view.  Someone, not us, turned a sign upside down that warns of skidding so the car is shown upside down.  Gets your attention.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice,
For it is not the same river and he is not the same man."

--Heraclitus

October 12, 2019, 08:59:05 PM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
I hope @HDBitchin  posts a video of our ride down from the Hogback (or Hell's Backbone, take your pick) to the Escalante River.  The highway sign advises its a 14% downgrade and there aren't any guardrails to spoil the view.  Someone, not us, turned a sign upside down that warns of skidding so the car is shown upside down.  Gets your attention.
Yes, that is a video that I will be posting, Hogback or Hell's Backbone. Got sidetracked on the schedule I was hoping to keep on the videos as I got food poisoning last weekend and that "work" thing got in the way. Hope to have the videos soon.

October 13, 2019, 05:14:14 AM
Reply #9

01rk

Retired Staff Member
That is a great ride, looks like you had a great time! Utah is a scenic geological wonder. Looking forward to the video.
Get Your Motor Runnin'

Like Like x 1 View List

October 14, 2019, 07:38:07 AM
Reply #10

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Looks like you guys rode some great motorcycle roads.
Two Lane Highway
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.