October 17, 2019, 08:33:59 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: clutch clunk  (Read 399 times)

September 29, 2019, 05:36:33 PM
Read 399 times

beach3091

hi how are you all hope all is well.
i have a 2001 883XLH sportster i had the bike for only 6 months it has 7100 miles on it. i don't know if this is normal or what. it does not do it all the time. sometimes as i release the clutch slowly in first gear it sounds like it spins then grabs and that is when i hear the clunk but i learned to use the clutch so it does not happen but every now and then i hear it like it spins and grabs with a clunk other wise the after first gear its fine. talked to a few of my buddies that had sporsters and they tell me its normal on some of them i do not know if that's so. i hope someone can tell me what it may be if its not normal. i adjusted the clutch the proper way the shop manual says to. thanks for your time and help.

September 29, 2019, 07:35:02 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Is this more prevalent when the bike is cold?

September 29, 2019, 07:55:03 PM
Reply #2

beach3091

Not really it’s basically the same cold and when it’s hot ?

September 29, 2019, 08:13:22 PM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
I am out on the road with 4 friends and we are riding through Utah this week. One of the riders is on a Sportster and he says he has somewhat experienced something like your are saying. This rider is @AbueloBill and he is going to play a little bit with his clutch technique (friction zone release) in the morning.

We will get back to you with more information tomorrow.

September 29, 2019, 08:40:41 PM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
And damn where are my manners? Welcome to the forum @beach3091

September 30, 2019, 01:15:34 AM
Reply #5

beach3091

holy molly i am so sorry hello to every one from brooklyn ny glad to be here.

September 30, 2019, 09:24:39 AM
Reply #6

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum. There's a spring plate in your clutch pack that has a history of losing it's rivets that might be causing your problem
CARS SUCK!

September 30, 2019, 12:19:51 PM
Reply #7

beach3091

oh ok ill have to check it out like i said it does not do it all the time and thanks so much for the reply back i really appreciate it if it is the rivits can i still ride it or no?

October 01, 2019, 06:22:38 AM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
As I mentioned earlier AbueloBill has a comment about your issue that I can’t articulate. So I will let him login later on my iPad.

October 01, 2019, 10:15:57 AM
Reply #9

maniacmac

Global Moderator
oh ok ill have to check it out like i said it does not do it all the time and thanks so much for the reply back i really appreciate it if it is the rivits can i still ride it or no?
   As it gets worst it will cause the clutch to not want to disengage or slip depending on how the plate comes apart. You eliminate the spring plate by adding extra plates. It's a common problem with your clutch
CARS SUCK!

October 01, 2019, 01:48:58 PM
Reply #10

beach3091

ok i understand what you mean and thanks for your help and time.

October 03, 2019, 03:28:24 PM
Reply #11

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Hi Beach,

Welcome to the forum.

On our ride Larry and I tried various startup routines to see if my Sportster had the same clunk when shifting from neutral to first.  We tried when cold (31º this morning!) and at restarts when hot.  Also tried gently shifting as well as my more usual quick down shift.  Same result, a clunk every time.

Only variation was a slight softer clunk when shifting gently and when cold.  Not enough to be noticeable to an outsider.

My intent after starting is to let the engine idle long enough for the cylinder heads to become noticeably warm.  This is long enough that the oil is warming and flowing.  On startup, the tach shows a quick rev to somewhat over 2,000 rpm then dropping to a steady 800.  The transmission and primary fluids would still be cold but I don't think that really influences anything as only the very bottom of the clutch pack  is in their oil. 

My opinions and thoughts:

--  Make sure the clutch pack is adjusted correctly.  There needs to be a small amount of free-play as specified in the manual, no standard amount but around a half turn but as the six-sided locking nut has to fit into the cover plate it isn't critical.

-  Make sure the cable is adjusted correctly.  There should be roughly a nickel worth of looseness at the lever before feeling the clutch beginning to move.  The service manual covers this.

-  Don't over- or under-fill the primary.  The oil should just come to the bottom of the clutch pack, any more and it will overflow when the cover plate is removed.  I assume yours has a small inspection plate at the top of the primary and it is easy to overfill if filling from there.  I use Formula 1 although Harley has a new fluid out they recommend.

-  The clunk is probably built-in by Harley engineering to give the traditional Harley feel.  From what you posted, yours sounds normal.

Haven't had my Sportster long enough to wear anything out,  21.5k miles on a 2016 1200 Custom.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice,
For it is not the same river and he is not the same man."

--Heraclitus

October 06, 2019, 04:53:19 PM
Reply #12

beach3091

ok AbueloBill wanna first thank you for getting back to me and i did everything by the book clutch adjustment at both bottom in the derby cover and top at the clutch handle the clunk going into first is normal i understand that what i am talking about is that while it's in first gear and i start to ease out on the clutch it sounds like it spins and i hear a clunk then it grabs it does not do it all the time i drained the primary oil today and put HD primary oil in 32oz. that's what it calls for. it  got much better with the new oil so ill have to see how it is as i ride. again thank you so much for your time and help.

October 08, 2019, 08:13:29 AM
Reply #13

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
ok AbueloBill wanna first thank you for getting back to me and i did everything by the book clutch adjustment at both bottom in the derby cover and top at the clutch handle the clunk going into first is normal i understand that what i am talking about is that while it's in first gear and i start to ease out on the clutch it sounds like it spins and i hear a clunk then it grabs it does not do it all the time i drained the primary oil today and put HD primary oil in 32oz. that's what it calls for. it  got much better with the new oil so ill have to see how it is as i ride. again thank you so much for your time and help.
Went out for a ride yesterday and tried to duplicate your situation.  As I understand it, you are in first gear with the clutch pulled in, rev up and shift into second and get the clunking sound as the transmission engages the second gear, the clutch engages, and you accelerate. 

I get a noise by doing this, not a clunk but more of a solid mechanical click.  This click is very similar to that generated on each shift but will vary very slightly each time probably due to different RPMs. To me it sounds perfectly normal.  It is not the 'snick' shifting sound of some asian and euro bikes but uniquely Harley.

The engine noises dominate, the Sportster has four gear driven cams so that noise may be what you are hearing.  I could not hear anything that resembled a clutch spinning up.  I have added the HD accessory speedo/tach and, depending on traffic, shift from first to second at around 2800 - 3000 RPM.

As long as everything is adjusted to spec. just ride and enjoy.  Continue riding and enjoy.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice,
For it is not the same river and he is not the same man."

--Heraclitus

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.