September 20, 2019, 03:49:36 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: It's That Time  (Read 222 times)

September 01, 2019, 06:35:28 AM
Read 222 times

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
I guess I've put it off long enough now but it's time. Time to rebuild the forks on my trusty FLSTF.
The only thing that has "delayed" me in doing it years ago was all the trim I installed on the front end. Taking all that off to get to the fork tubes is more work than doing the fork tubes.
For those who do not know, I hve a highly "tweaked" 98 FLSTF that I wouldn't trade for any bike. She's taken care of me since 98 and I have returned the favor.
She has a nicely modified Ultma 127 stuffed in her which to the untrained eye, looks stock. Low boy bars with an FLCH chrome job on the front end I touched on earlier, Progressive suspension on the rear, BDL compensator that has given me zero problems and I converted her over to chain so I could get a 160 Avon inside her fender. (stops belt snap too)
Anyway knowing what kind of front end HD put out that year I decided to "tweak the design" a little more.
I grabbed some progressive heavy duty springs (for us plus size guys and they really are needed on this type of bike), Bel Ray 10 weight, and I found some Race Tech cartridge emulators for a steal. ($50.00 new). New seals and bushings of course.
I do the rebuild on Wednesday next week.
Should be night in day differences in low speed suppleness, nose dive and high speed handling.
That pretty much leaves just the tins and wheels factory stock but, nothin else.
- Nowhereman

September 01, 2019, 07:04:42 AM
Reply #1

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Beautiful bike.

Keep us posted on your progress and the feel afterwards.
While the early bird might get the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

September 01, 2019, 07:32:08 AM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Looking forward to your ride report.

September 01, 2019, 12:26:20 PM
Reply #3

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Following the thread!!
Two Lane Highway

September 05, 2019, 01:36:23 PM
Reply #4

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
Update...
Race Tech emulators will show up Friday.
I'll do the rebuild then.
Should have her done over the weekend.
- Nowhereman

September 07, 2019, 06:40:26 AM
Reply #5

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
All components have arrived.
I'm going thru the Race Tech info and they are telling me to drill two more sets of 5/16 inch holes in the dampers and re-drill the existing holes to 5/16.
Now this particular set of dampers has been worked over by me years ago, welding the holes shut and re-drilling them smaller.
The question arrises is are these dampers adequate enough to re-drill again.
Even with the sapcing Race Tech wants, will  thee dampers be compromised and become fatigued and cause failure.
- Nowhereman

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.