September 20, 2019, 03:32:44 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Latest Q Sales Numbers  (Read 288 times)

July 27, 2019, 07:24:31 PM
Read 288 times

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Here is Revzilla's take:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/sales-keep-declining-for-us-motorcycle-manufacturers-but-turnaround-plans-are-in-place

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)
Like Like x 2 View List

August 14, 2019, 07:56:45 AM
Reply #1

01rk

Retired Staff Member
The tariffs probably hurt, but what hurts more is the 30k+ price tags. HD needs a reality check. People working for $15-20/hr cannot afford the damn things.
Get Your Motor Runnin'

August 14, 2019, 11:09:51 AM
Reply #2

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
The tariffs probably hurt, but what hurts more is the 30k+ price tags. HD needs a reality check. People working for $15-20/hr cannot afford the damn things.

$30k+ would hurt, but I don't think Harley plans or intends to sell very many.  What they have done is a proof of concept, showing they can do it.  Now that they have, they could or should build what the customer base says they want.

The days of "If we build it they will come" have past (think Sony and Honda, among others).  I see the Harley product line slimming down but the big twins will continue in some fashion.  Don't know about the Sportsters or the Streets.  I have a 1200c and my sales buddy says they never see any more Customs being shipped in by Harley, yet after some upgrades mine seems to be the ideal bike for day trips and general riding around.   

When you think of the differing Harley lines that came and are gone you have to wonder how many more tries HD has left.  The V-Rods, for example, and even the Dynas are gone, and perhaps the Streets are next.  They keep trying, but the Softails as an example, aren't getting the floor space they used to at my local dealer.  Seems HD concentrates on the Touring line (and T-shirts) at the expense of the lower margin lines.  Is an electric line going to be their salvation, or will it be dropped like the others.  Depends, I guess, on how the sales force responds and customer demand.  Advertising shifts the demand curve, and I get ads via email every day. 

What would I buy as a replacement bike?  Probably not a Harley.  Not a criticism of the bikes, just what they offer now isn't where I am going.  I'm in my mid 70s, been riding since January 1996 with somewhat over 200k miles and with one asphalt lunch I walked away from.  Would like a lighter bike, possibly some dirt road capability and comfortable enough for touring, shaft or belt drive, 750 cc +/- range, decent mileage, Euro compliant.  I won't be doing any Iron Butt rides but I do have grandkids on each coast and I'd like to ride back to see them like I used to, (Honda Shadow and VTX, and a SuperGlide, not the Sporty).

Off my soap box for awhile.   

While the early bird might get the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

August 14, 2019, 03:07:36 PM
Reply #3

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Good points, Bill.
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)

August 15, 2019, 06:28:13 AM
Reply #4

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
What we need are well done kit bikes that don't have to go thru Hell to get registered.
Some years ago you culd buy a kit and build it on the cheap.
I understand about the insurance thing but that can be worked out also.
HD is full of themselves as you can see from their E bike embarrassment.
- Nowhereman

August 15, 2019, 11:20:08 AM
Reply #5

01rk

Retired Staff Member
As I said in another thread you don't any 20 somethings in the showrooms, HD aint their style. On our trip we stopped for an oil change at a dealer,
we were the only people in there, 35 bikes on the floor and no customers!
Get Your Motor Runnin'

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.