November 14, 2019, 05:11:09 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Won't start  (Read 351 times)

July 02, 2019, 05:55:01 PM
Read 351 times

Tbone101

I have a 2015 street glide. My issue is I bought to new batteries. Try to start bike but instruments lights blink on and off.bike starts when it's been sitting, but soon as  try and start it again the instruments go off and on.its at the shop .been almost a month. They don't have a clue. Please help

July 02, 2019, 06:47:22 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
New batteries that have been sitting for awhile on the store shelf need charging before you use them for the first time. The longer the dealer or mechanic has had the battery in their inventory the lower the charge that new battery has left for you on the first use.

Everytime I purchase a new battery after installation or even before installation I charge the battery until I read a good 12.75 volts. If you just put the battery in the motorcycle without knowing that it is 100% charged and hit the starter you run it down even lower than what it was and the next start is going to suffer.

It sounds like your battery is low to begin with and the second start it has little cranking power left.

Have you load tested the battery and have you measured the at rest voltage? Take a look at this thread on batteries.

AGM Battery Care and Maintenance

It is also possible that you have a marginal battery and some loose cables. I would not only check the cables on the battery itself but the other end. The negative cable terminates onto the frame and the positive cable terminates on the starter/solenoid. Make sure they are tight on both ends.

The below link to another forum thread will show you a simplified Starting and Charging diagram. Your issue has to be "rooted" in that diagram. Check the wiring in that diagram and check the main fuse shown in that diagram.

Starting and Charging Troubleshooting - DIY

Some general troubleshooting things that you should consider...

General Troubleshooting Steps for Harley Davidson Motorcycles

July 04, 2019, 11:10:05 AM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Hey @Tbone101 I hear crickets.

Any good news? Is any of the advice above making sense?

July 04, 2019, 02:27:33 PM
Reply #3

Screamin beagle

Supporting Member
Hopefully he's out riding lol. At the beginning of the season my wife's sporty needed a new battery. I picked one up at the local auto parts store...the guy is my neighbors son and he gives me a 30 percent discount...but anyway when he gave me the battery he said " you're all set, it's all charged up". Just because I put the test meter on it and it was not "all set" lol...about 75 percent charged. So like tank said just because it's new doesn't mean it's ready to put in the bike. You risk ruining your stator and voltage regulator if you put a discharged battery in and expect the bike to charge it. Like i said,  hopefully youre out riding lol

July 04, 2019, 06:46:32 PM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Ha ha! Well let’s hope he is out riding @Screamin beagle

But if not we are here to help.

July 06, 2019, 09:14:45 AM
Reply #5

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Well he said the shop had his bike for almost a month. I guess you fixed him Tank and he was itching to ride.

It would be nice to get follow up from these kind of posts.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 View List

July 08, 2019, 10:32:47 AM
Reply #6

WantMore

Supporting Member
Some people are just takers and could give damn after they get what they want from you. Looks like the OP is that kind of guy.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 2 View List

July 10, 2019, 11:06:25 AM
Reply #7

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
The OP might be a forum Troll that made up the question just to waste people’s time.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer