August 21, 2019, 05:47:57 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: How Long of a Engine Warm Up Should You Do for Your Harley Davidson?  (Read 205 times)

May 11, 2019, 10:33:25 AM
Read 205 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
How long of an engine warm up should be done before riding? The typical guidance that you will read in a Harley Davidson Owner's Manuals is...

The engine should be allowed to run slowly for 15-30 seconds. This will allow the engine to warm up and let oil reach all surfaces needing lubrication. Failure to comply can result in engine damage.

The below video from Low Country HD will back that up.

Another similar discussion thread was posted on the forum a while ago. It has similar guidance on the subject.

Warm Up Your Motorcycle Before Riding

May 13, 2019, 06:17:04 AM
Reply #1

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
MY BUDDIES USED TO SAY IF YOU HAD TO WEAR A JACKET, YOU WAITED TILL YOU BURNT A CIG THEN IT WAS COOL TO MOVE OUT.
I don't smoke cigs but as soon as I could feel heat from the cylinders, I was off.
- Nowhereman

May 13, 2019, 07:08:35 AM
Reply #2

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Until I can feel some heat coming off the cylinders, or if cooler, off the rocker cover.  Also wait for traffic to clear, even if a distance away. 

If I don't, she is cold blooded enough to stutter a bit on acceleration going down the street. 
While the early bird might get the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

May 13, 2019, 11:04:47 AM
Reply #3

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Fire it up-put your gear on-go for a putt
CARS SUCK!

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.