December 09, 2019, 07:21:03 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Trans. fluid transfer  (Read 644 times)

April 30, 2019, 05:25:16 AM
Read 644 times

rubberheels

My 18 flhr w/900mi. seems to be losing trans. oil int the primary! I had 1000 svc. at 800mi. and checked yesterday and had to add 5oz. Talked to dealer and they said keep a eye on it and let them know it it happens again? I've heard about this alot on that other forum. Anybody here go thru this?

April 30, 2019, 07:40:50 AM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
We really haven’t had much of a discussion going on about this issue that seems to be seen on some of the new Milwaukee 8 powered motorcycles. Here is a link to what has been said thus far on HDBitchin.

M8 (aka Milwaukee-Eight) Oil Transfer From Transmission to Primary

April 30, 2019, 01:19:09 PM
Reply #2

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
I have read a good bit about the issue but as I understand not all motorcycles have the issue and H-D has no fix for the problem as of yet.
Two Lane Highway

May 06, 2019, 11:21:14 AM
Reply #3

WantMore

Supporting Member
Well it isn’t the first time Harley-Davidson has dealt with migrating fluids. Remember the primary oil migration that H-D had on the Evolution motors. Very different migration path but it was fixed.

Oil Migrating From Primary to Evolution Motor

At some point H-D will have that “ahh ha” moment and will solve this tranny to primary migration issue on the M8 motorcycles.
Smoke em if you got em

June 19, 2019, 12:05:09 PM
Reply #4

rubberheels

My 18 flhr w/900mi. seems to be losing trans. oil int the primary! I had 1000 svc. at 800mi. and checked yesterday and had to add 5oz. Talked to dealer and they said keep a eye on it and let them know it it happens again? I've heard about this alot on that other forum. Anybody here go thru this?
Well traded the 18 Road King in on a 19 Street Glide Special and it's transferred 6oz. tranny oil! Going in wedensday for the Primary Vent Kit. I am FXXXing pissed!

June 25, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
Reply #5

WantMore

Supporting Member
Well traded the 18 Road King in on a 19 Street Glide Special and it's transferred 6oz. tranny oil! Going in wedensday for the Primary Vent Kit. I am FXXXing pissed!
Let us know what was actually done in their fix. Hopefully it will fix it.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 2 View List

June 25, 2019, 08:51:22 PM
Reply #6

bc45

Global Moderator
Post some pictures with the update if you can.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

July 17, 2019, 11:31:41 AM
Reply #7

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
The company that offers the Rocker Locker product has a proposed fix for the M8 oil migration issue. See the below link to his website page that talks about what he is saying.

Harley M8 tranmission oil transfer problem
Two Lane Highway

July 26, 2019, 06:18:48 PM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
Recently Harley-Davidson published the below attached inner primary vent fix for the oil transfer problem from the transmission to the primary.

August 07, 2019, 08:59:00 AM
Reply #9

Harley Mike

my understanding is the seal is leaking whether the vent kit fixes this is yet to be determined I'd be pissed too if i paid 30k for a bike with an issue they have known about for quite sometime now
Life is short, enjoy it but don't self destruct.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer