July 22, 2019, 04:40:14 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Air shocks, rebuild or toss ?  (Read 585 times)

April 04, 2019, 10:25:14 AM
Read 585 times

J F Go

Community Advocate
A solution to poor performance, of my OEM air shocks. I've done a little research as to why air shocks don't perform in a manner conducive for cornering. It seems that when you are cornering, and you start to lean into the corner, the air in the shock being listed to the higher elevation, is also excepting the air from the shock being forced down while turning. So my pee brain is telling me that if this is true why can't (don't) I add another valve and fill each with air individually ? I would think that doing this would also improve my ride when I hit a bump, or three. Anyone, besides me, ever give this any thought ? I'm seriously considering trying this. Cheaper than 7 to 9 hundred bucks for new shocks that, IMHO, won't really change a thing. I'm not experiencing any air loss to my shocks and they are OEM from 07. Thoughts ?

April 04, 2019, 12:15:51 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
I don’t understand. My pee brain must be smaller than yours!  ;D

You have been watching too much NASCAR!

April 04, 2019, 12:29:57 PM
Reply #2

J F Go

Community Advocate
I don’t understand. My pee brain must be smaller than yours!  ;D

You have been watching too much NASCAR!
Maybe, HA,HA. That does not compute to you ? ^*?

April 04, 2019, 02:49:22 PM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
Yeah, I am not sure what you are getting at but let me try saying this...

So are you thinking that air pressure in the shock that is on the outside of the turn will be different than the shock that is on inside of the turn because a single Schrader valve that adjsuts both shocks?

In my opinion the air pressure is going to remain the same in both shocks regardless of left or right banking turns. Air pressure will always be the same side to side. Different turn directions and down forces won’t shift or migrate the pressure in the current single valve servicing design regardless of the lean direction.

I would think that having a single air pressure servicing valve for the two shocks is the best way to go. That way the two shocks are always adjusted to the same pressure and they leak down together. Separating them runs a risk of different pressures if one side has a higher leak rate.

April 04, 2019, 03:23:54 PM
Reply #4

J F Go

Community Advocate
I see what your saying, but on some site (Fix My Hog) he said that the air from one shock goes to the opposite shock taking away it's effectiveness and that was why he said to get rid of them. I just didn't know if putting them on separate air intakes would help with the damping effect. Some more research is in my future, I guess. Thanks.

April 04, 2019, 06:28:43 PM
Reply #5

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I see what your saying, but on some site (Fix My Hog) he said that the air from one shock goes to the opposite shock taking away it's effectiveness and that was why he said to get rid of them. I just didn't know if putting them on separate air intakes would help with the damping effect. Some more research is in my future, I guess. Thanks.
What Tank said is correct. Air pressure can't not migrate from side to side in a closed system such the two air shocks on a Harley. For example if you check your air pressure in your tire with the valve stem at the bottom where the tire is compressed it while be the same if you rotate the stem to the top where the tire is expanded.
CARS SUCK!

April 05, 2019, 07:38:39 AM
Reply #6

J F Go

Community Advocate
What Tank said is correct. Air pressure can't not migrate from side to side in a closed system such the two air shocks on a Harley. For example if you check your air pressure in your tire with the valve stem at the bottom where the tire is compressed it while be the same if you rotate the stem to the top where the tire is expanded.
Thanks @maniacmac  Guess "Fix My Hog" guy was just selling Progressive 444. 

April 07, 2019, 10:06:36 PM
Reply #7

bc45

Global Moderator
I agree that the air pressure wont be different from one side to the other, even if the control arm was independent from side to side and one was extended and one was compressed you would still have the same pressure in each shock. could you post the link to the video you watched?

April 10, 2019, 01:01:15 PM
Reply #8

Screamin beagle

Supporting Member
There are guys who "rebuild " the stock air shocks...basically they're draining the oil then filling with new heavier weight oil. Supposed to be a decent improvement, not as nice as 1200 dollar set of ohlins.
Like Like x 1 View List

April 10, 2019, 04:14:04 PM
Reply #9

J F Go

Community Advocate
There are guys who "rebuild " the stock air shocks...basically they're draining the oil then filling with new heavier weight oil. Supposed to be a decent improvement, not as nice as 1200 dollar set of ohlins.

Yes, I'd heard that that is an option. And as far as those Ohlins go, if I were to buy new shocks, that would be the way to go. Thanks for posting. 8)

April 10, 2019, 10:31:18 PM
Reply #10

bc45

Global Moderator
@J F Go  Here is a short video of changing the oil in the rear shocks.

Like Like x 1 Informative Informative x 1 View List

April 11, 2019, 12:47:57 PM
Reply #11

J F Go

Community Advocate
Thanks @bc45. Not sure I'd even try that but ya never know. Probably should put this in the DIY section, don't you think @HDBitchin ?

April 11, 2019, 01:57:08 PM
Reply #12

HDBitchin

Administrator
Thanks @bc45. Not sure I'd even try that but ya never know. Probably should put this in the DIY section, don't you think @HDBitchin ?
I can do that!

April 20, 2019, 12:36:21 PM
Reply #13

01rk

Retired Staff Member
Check out Legends shocks they really improved the ride on my EG.
Much better than progressives. I got them for 600 bucks
Get Your Motor Runnin'

Like Like x 1 View List

June 19, 2019, 12:01:28 PM
Reply #14

rubberheels

If they are the 12in. throw them out!!!

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.