May 24, 2019, 08:31:56 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Long storage in hot area.  (Read 259 times)

March 10, 2019, 07:21:39 PM
Read 259 times

GeorgeKM

Well it's nearly time to head north from central Florida and I'm going to leave the motorcycle here. It's going to be in a window porch without electricity available , hot.
Up north when I store for winter all I do is fill the gas, couple of good gulps of SeaFome and a battery tender but it's only for six months or so.
I'm thinking that the same should do and un hooking the negative battery post or should I keep the gas low because of the heat, the reason I fill up north is to avoid moisture and rust in the tank.
Any ideas ? It's sitting until next year.
Thank you for any suggestions.

When personal freedom is being abused, you have to move to limit it."
- Bill Clinton

March 10, 2019, 07:35:01 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
I think you would do the same as you have done up north in the cold including a full gas tank. Reason I would say that you would fill the tank is that you are going to have a high humidity environment in Florida and rust forming is still a factor.

Here is some reference reading if anyone would like more information.

Motorcycle Storage (Winterizing) -DIY

March 11, 2019, 05:41:47 AM
Reply #2

GeorgeKM

Thanks,  I'll do as I have been up north without the maintainer.

- Bill Clinton

Like Like x 1 View List

March 11, 2019, 02:10:52 PM
Reply #3

WantMore

Supporting Member
I would agree with what was said.  Storage whether it be summer or winter is the same in my mind.
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

March 11, 2019, 06:04:18 PM
Reply #4

J F Go

Community Advocate
@GeorgeKM, you would be doing yourself a favor to fill it up with ethanol free fuel. There are lots of places in Florida that sell it. That's what I put in my Heritage when I head back to Maine from Florida.

March 12, 2019, 05:50:43 AM
Reply #5

GeorgeKM

@GeorgeKM, you would be doing yourself a favor to fill it up with ethanol free fuel. There are lots of places in Florida that sell it. That's what I put in my Heritage when I head back to Maine from Florida.
Good idea, I found one about a mile from me. The drive will give the SeaFome a good chance to mix also. I have heard of ethanol going bad over long term. I've also heard of avoiding the red stable additive over long term, I prefer SeaFome anyway.

- Bill Clinton

Like Like x 1 View List

March 12, 2019, 07:44:09 AM
Reply #6

HDBitchin

Administrator
Ethanol gas is a problem especially when a gas tank with ethanol gas sits over a longer period of time as ethanol attracts water. When the water combines with the ethanol molecules and they settle to the bottom of the gas tank.

The above picture shows the problem which is called phase separation.

You can't stop the water from collecting in your gas tank but you can treat the E10 gas so the water gets suspended and carried into your motor's combustion chamber and burned with the fuel. Untreated E10 gas will allow the water to settle to the bottom of the tank or do what is called phase separation. Since many motorcycles sit for longer periods than many other vehicles gas treatments are almost a requirement. If your gas treatment does not address phase separation don't use it.

March 12, 2019, 01:19:21 PM
Reply #7

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Ethanol gas is a problem especially when a gas tank with ethanol gas sits over a longer period of time as ethanol attracts water. When the water combines with the ethanol molecules and they settle to the bottom of the gas tank.

The above picture shows the problem which is called phase separation.

You can't stop the water from collecting in your gas tank but you can treat the E10 gas so the water gets suspended and carried into your motor's combustion chamber and burned with the fuel. Untreated E10 gas will allow the water to settle to the bottom of the tank or do what is called phase separation. Since many motorcycles sit for longer periods than many other vehicles gas treatments are almost a requirement. If your gas treatment does not address phase separation don't use it.
Good information! Thanks Tank!
Two Lane Highway

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.