March 19, 2019, 04:10:30 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: The Electra Glide Standard is Back for 2019  (Read 361 times)

GeorgeKM and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

March 04, 2019, 12:21:51 PM
Read 361 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
The last time that you could walk into a H-D dealer and buy a EG Standard was 2009. Now 10 years later the Electra Glide Standard is back for 2019. I understand why this bike is back because in 2008 I purchased a EG Standard and added a few things to make it mine. In my opinion it is a perfect blank canvas Touring motorcycle.

Links to the Harley-Davidson website page for the Standard and an article just posted on American Iron Magazine are below.

https://www.aimag.com/brand-new-harley-davidson-electra-glide-standards-strips-down-the-bagger/

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/2019/touring/electra-glide-standard.html

March 04, 2019, 06:11:32 PM
Reply #1

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Very interesting. 
Never attribute to conspiracy that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

March 05, 2019, 05:48:54 PM
Reply #2

01rk

Retired Staff Member
IMO the street glide was nothing more than a decorated FLH
Glad to see it brought back without all the frills.
Like Larry said a blank canvas.
Get Your Motor Runnin'

March 05, 2019, 07:05:53 PM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
I like it a bunch! Just being curious about the trade in value of my two motorcycles I looked at Kelly Blue Book and was surprised to see that my 1995 FLSTN was worth more than my 2008 EG Standard.

But I came to my senses and I am not buying but... if I win the lottery!!

March 05, 2019, 07:18:11 PM
Reply #4

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Very interesting.

I have the Harley advertising brochure from 2007 when they were making the Electra Glide Standard (FLHT).  Some interesting comparisons between then and the new Milwaukee Eight version:

Engine:             96 vs 107 cubic inches
Tank:                  5 vs 6 gallons
Weight:           738 vs 781 pounds
Wheelbase:    63.5 vs 64 inches
Security:       $325 vs standard
Cruise:             -    vs standard
ABS:                -    vs $795
Mileage:       45 hwy/32.5 city vs 43 estimated city/hwy

List Price:   $16,095 vs $18,999

Price is up 18% in 12 years. 

That increase might be less than the inflation percentage over that time period.  A Sportster 1200 Custom went from $9,695 to $10,999 in the same period, a 13.5% increase.

In comparing the images I noted a few items on the 2007 that aren't on the 2019.  Specifically, running lights, passenger pillion and luggage rack, and saddlebag guards.  The covers on both are polished rather than chrome and the engine was silver painted in 2007.  Both have cast wheels.

As I said, interesting.

Never attribute to conspiracy that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

March 05, 2019, 07:45:31 PM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
I like the fact that the old ones came with running lights. I added cruise control and the security system when I bought my 2008.

2008 was the first year with the 6 gallon gas tank and Brembo brakes.

In 2009 the EG Standard had the new Touring frame that H-D came out with that year for all Touring models.

Looks like they are only selling the new 2019 in black. My 2008 is the Crimson Red Sunglow that was offered then. I seem to recall that they only offered two colors in years past with black being one offering. I wonder why they aren’t offering more than just black?

March 06, 2019, 02:04:52 PM
Reply #6

WantMore

Supporting Member
Great news! Price is reasonable.
Smoke em if you got em

March 07, 2019, 04:18:25 PM
Reply #7

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Good to see the Standard making a comeback!
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 2 View List

March 09, 2019, 06:23:22 AM
Reply #8

01rk

Retired Staff Member

Looks like they are only selling the new 2019 in black. My 2008 is the Crimson Red Sunglow that was offered then. I seem to recall that they only offered two colors in years past with black being one offering. I wonder why they aren’t offering more than just black?

Our youngest son bought a 2002 electra glide special, it only came in black, with aluminum covers and an unpainted motor. I think around 11k?
Get Your Motor Runnin'

March 09, 2019, 07:55:00 AM
Reply #9

Screamin beagle

Supporting Member
Good to see someone at HD is coming to their senses lol. This bike should sell really well. They'll make their money on added parts and accessories. Now they need to make a stripped down softail and put a springer on it with the 114 motor and sell it for 16k...i even have a name for it...the " bare bones" I'll be first in line. Come on harley...if you build it they will come.
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

March 09, 2019, 08:01:23 AM
Reply #10

HDBitchin

Administrator
Now they need to make a stripped down softail and put a springer on it with the 114 motor and sell it for 16k...i even have a name for it...the " bare bones" I'll be first in line. Come on harley...if you build it they will come.
That is a great idea for a motorcycle!

March 14, 2019, 07:06:13 PM
Reply #11

bc45

Global Moderator
 I wonder why they aren’t offering more than just black? @HDBitchin

Probably price most paint options are around $900 + depending on color,My 2 cents is they wanted to keep it under $20K.

I think it was a good move I always liked the  ride standard over the lowered Street Glide. 

March 14, 2019, 07:58:16 PM
Reply #12

HDBitchin

Administrator
I wonder why they aren’t offering more than just black? @HDBitchin

Probably price most paint options are around $900 + depending on color,My 2 cents is they wanted to keep it under $20K.

I think it was a good move I always liked the  ride standard over the lowered Street Glide.
I think you are right and they are trying to keep the price down.

March 16, 2019, 07:26:26 PM
Reply #13

confederate

Those who know me, know my thoughts about the m8 bikes.  Here's a hint, they're sumpin else.  Now regarding the EG Standard, after seeing it online and in the dealer, I believe it's about a couple grand overpriced.  They removed too much when compared to previous models.  In my opinion, the inner fairing screams cheap and low rent with that gaping hole where the entertainment system should be.  Damn, at least put a cover over it and make that space useful.  If it were my money and I had lost my mind to even consider buying a bike with the m8 in it, I would go with one of the Heritage bikes, probably the Deluxe and add some bags from Leatherpros to it.  Why???  The soft tail line up isn't experiencing the dreaded sumping and transmission migration issues that the touring line up is.   
FXDC*SEPST*HP 81.26*TQ 88.49*Stage 1*Rinehart Exhaust*Ness Big Sucker*External Breathers*FL Air Cleaner*Leatherpros FXDXT Bags*Saddlemen Step Up Seat*Windvest**Moons MC Moonmaker*Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50*Amsoil V-Twin Primary Fluid*Amsoil V-Twin Transmission Fluid*

When Willie G. left, he took the soul of Harley Davidson with him.

March 19, 2019, 10:20:54 AM
Reply #14

HDBitchin

Administrator
Harley-Davidson stamped an interesting engine case number on this new 2019 Electra Glide Standard. Buzz Kantor of American Iron Magazine called it the VIN but it is actually the engine case number.

I think it is funny!

Two screen captures from the video...

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.