January 16, 2019, 10:34:43 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: 2015 fltruse engine cuts off around 100mph to 110mph and bends exhaust valve.  (Read 444 times)

January 01, 2019, 04:10:14 PM
Reply #15

bc45

Global Moderator
@123.bulldozer As you said the valve is hitting the piston causing it to bend, in automobiles not only is the PCM programmed to cut engine off for RPM  which you are not reaching Rev limit but they are also programmed for cutting vehicle speed, the ones I have seen are usually around 100 to 130 MPH, could your programmer have that setting and or does it work piggy back with the OE PCM and have a speed cut. It sounds like the valves are floating due to the engine being unloaded at that speed 

January 02, 2019, 07:55:30 AM
Reply #16

123.bulldozer

Supporting Member
 I am pretty sure that it  has a speed limiter that's shutting down ignition and causing valve problem. Most all automobiles have the same function and it just prevents any more speed and does not damage engine. I think just as always, Harley is still years behind the automotive industry on new technology and cannot figure how to get this speed limiter right. I just need to find a way to get around the speed limiter function. Tts claims that after proper installation of their tts mastertune, speed limiter will be eliminated. It looks like I have proven them to be wrong in this case. Any more ideas?

January 02, 2019, 09:34:25 AM
Reply #17

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
I'll restate my previous post/suggestion.  If the parts are available, why don't you consider "re-gearing", thereby lowering your rpm at 'terminal velocity'?  I would think that motor certainly has the torque to handle the revised ratio(s).

Are alternative sprockets available?
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)

January 03, 2019, 12:01:58 AM
Reply #18

bc45

Global Moderator
I am pretty sure that it  has a speed limiter that's shutting down ignition and causing valve problem. Most all automobiles have the same function and it just prevents any more speed and does not damage engine. I think just as always, Harley is still years behind the automotive industry on new technology and cannot figure how to get this speed limiter right. I just need to find a way to get around the speed limiter function. Tts claims that after proper installation of their tts mastertune, speed limiter will be eliminated. It looks like I have proven them to be wrong in this case. Any more ideas?

I agree that rev limit or vehicle speed limit should not normally hurt the engine. no new ideas just talking out loud which sometimes helps figure out a problem. the only difference when it happens is vehicle speed and the load is more than likely is heavier then when at 4500 RPM in lower gears.
are you sure it cuts off then hits the valves or does it hit the valves and cut out at the same time?
when it cuts out does it kick in and out then hit the valves?
does it set a code when it dies and if so does the Tts have a snap shot of data when code is set?
Rev limit and speed limit is usually controlled by shutting the injectors down not the ignition.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.