Cookie Settings

Poll

Would you buy Amazon’s Synthetic Motor Oil

Yes
2 (20%)
No
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Would you buy Amazon Synthetic Motor Oil?  (Read 376 times)

December 18, 2018, 06:21:28 PM
Read 376 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is an interesting question. Amazon has added a line of synthetic motor oil to their Basics brand of products. Would you buy it?

https://jalopnik.com/amazon-is-selling-its-own-brand-of-motor-oil-now-and-it-1831153957/amp

Don’t forget to vote in the above poll. A simple yes or no. No one can see your answer.

If you are using Tapatalk you can’t see the poll as they don’t support that feature on forums

December 18, 2018, 06:27:30 PM
Reply #1

J F Go

Community Advocate
WOW, that IS weird. Amazon will rule the world. If they don't have it, you don't need it. That will be their catch phrase.
Funny Funny x 1 View List

December 19, 2018, 01:06:25 PM
Reply #2

WantMore

Supporting Member
No, I am sorry Amazon there are some things that you should not be selling.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

December 20, 2018, 07:36:53 AM
Reply #3

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
Man, some of you guys are even more old and stubborn than me.
Oil, has always been over priced and it's about time someone nutmegged that industry.
You want to drop nine, ten, even fourteen bucks a bottle for something you throw away in 3000 miles?, well put me on your Christmas list.
Guess what, all my cars will be running that stuff in a month or two.
I'll save a shit ton of bucks, my cars will run just as well, maybe better cause it doesn't cost a nut to change out the cars and bikes in the garage.
The money I save could be used to help the "Nowhereman Cigar Fund"; Helping under appreciated cigars of quality find a good home.... MINE
Did you hear that?
That's the sound of me "one clicking" my Amazon button to order some Syn Oil...
- Nowhereman
Disagree Disagree x 1 View List

December 20, 2018, 07:53:48 AM
Reply #4

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
PS. If you want it even cheaper than Amazon gives it to ya, Wally World sells it even cheaper.... same stuff..
- Nowhereman

December 21, 2018, 10:44:55 AM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
Some facts to add to what Amazon is selling follows.

They are selling a API licensed product which is good but that means it is locked down and they can't exceed the formulation in the license. No innovation is allowed. Therefore you get a "me too" oil that is exactly the same as everyone else's API quart bottle that was awarded the license. To better understand what it means to be licensed to wear the API Starburst or Donut symbol on your particular brand's packaging versus categorizing an oil into a Service Classification without licensing it (meaning innovation that exceeds the Licensing formulation), you might want to read this...

API Licensing and API Service Classifications and Warranty Concerns Explained

If it were me, I would not buy an oil that wears the API Starburst or Donut symbol that only can meet the limited performance standards of a licensed product.

The below linked company is who makes the private label AmazonBasics motor oil...

http://www.warrendistribution.com/

Here is a website that has a test sample analysis of their 0W-20 Full Synthetic...

http://pqiadata.org/AmazonBasics_0W20.html

The oil tested fine as you can see. It will meet the limited performance specification that the licensing defines. 

Man, some of you guys are even more old and stubborn than me.
Oil, has always been over priced and it's about time someone nutmegged that industry.
You want to drop nine, ten, even fourteen bucks a bottle for something you throw away in 3000 miles?, well put me on your Christmas list.
Guess what, all my cars will be running that stuff in a month or two.
I'll save a shit ton of bucks, my cars will run just as well, maybe better cause it doesn't cost a nut to change out the cars and bikes in the garage.
The money I save could be used to help the "Nowhereman Cigar Fund"; Helping under appreciated cigars of quality find a good home.... MINE
Did you hear that?
That's the sound of me "one clicking" my Amazon button to order some Syn Oil...
Yes I sell oil (in case some of you didn't know) and as far as the price, I can sell you an automotive equivalent to their full synthetic for about $1 more per quart. And I would recommend you run whatever brand you use more than than 3000 miles and that will benefit the Nowhereman Cigar Fund.  ;)

IMO, Amazon's product will work but better is available and not at the price of "nine, ten, even fourteen bucks a bottle". Motorcycle oil will run higher but they aren't selling motorcycle oil.

Fact is, whatever brand you choose if you change the oil and filter at the recommended interval you will be fine. But if you want a bit more peace of mind for those times that you might exceed the change interval due to your being out on the road or not being able to find the time to do the oil service then get a brand that exceeds the licensing formulation. Cheap insurance IMO. 

December 22, 2018, 07:44:13 AM
Reply #6

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
I hear ya but, if I'm planning lets say a cross country ride and I'm coming up on an oil change, why would I wait till i'm in the middle of some desolate area to decide to change my oil?
Sensitive issue that's for sure and somewhat emotional to some.
Didn't know you were an oli salesmen.
To me, there's a point where anymore money spent on things like this can only be justified by two things.
1. You operate your vehicle at extreme levels aka racing and need every bit of protection possible, and 2. you have brand loyalty that goes deep.
Maybe three things; 3. you are financially fillthy rich and money means nothing..  £~¥
- Nowhereman

December 22, 2018, 10:24:45 AM
Reply #7

Screamin beagle

Supporting Member
If bought it i wouldn't buy to put in my bike. It's funny because at oil change time for the cars I buy the cheapest oil I can find and I generally keep my cars for around 200k...wife drives it for the first 100k then i get the hand me down. Im pretty good at changing at the 5k interval and never had a problem caused from using cheap oil. But when it comes to the bike I cringe at the thought of not using a higher quality motorcycle specific oil. I suppose I can defend it by the quantity of times I change each...bike usually sees 3 changes a year but the cars are 5 or 6 each. I just love my bike more. I've never run amsoil so ill order some soon from you tank...i hear great things about the brand. There's just some things you can't go cheap on...lasic eye surgery...cheese...beer...motorcycle oil lol.
Like Like x 1 View List

December 22, 2018, 10:39:33 AM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
If bought it i wouldn't buy to put in my bike. It's funny because at oil change time for the cars I buy the cheapest oil I can find and I generally keep my cars for around 200k...wife drives it for the first 100k then i get the hand me down. Im pretty good at changing at the 5k interval and never had a problem caused from using cheap oil. But when it comes to the bike I cringe at the thought of not using a higher quality motorcycle specific oil. I suppose I can defend it by the quantity of times I change each...bike usually sees 3 changes a year but the cars are 5 or 6 each. I just love my bike more. I've never run amsoil so ill order some soon from you tank...i hear great things about the brand. There's just some things you can't go cheap on...lasic eye surgery...cheese...beer...motorcycle oil lol.
For anyone that wants to order thru me you can contact me direct and I will drop ship whatever you need at wholesale pricing without requiring you to pay the Preferred Customer (PC) registration fee. That way you get the PC price (wholesale) without buying into a PC membership.

December 22, 2018, 09:02:51 PM
Reply #9

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
For anyone that wants to order thru me you can contact me direct and I will drop ship whatever you need at wholesale pricing without requiring you to pay the Preferred Customer (PC) registration fee. That way you get the PC price (wholesale) without buying into a PC membership.
Pretty stand up guys,
If you want or run Amsoil (it is a good product) you won't get a better pricing unless you steal it.....
- Nowhereman
Agree Agree x 2 View List

December 23, 2018, 09:28:19 AM
Reply #10

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
There's just some things you can't go cheap on...lasic eye surgery...cheese...beer...motorcycle oil lol.
The above sums it up the best!
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 2 View List

January 01, 2019, 05:14:26 PM
Reply #11

bc45

Global Moderator
It does not look like it has the GM Dexos designation so I would not be running it in any GM for any GM vehicle 2011 and newer. Also if your vehicle has variable cam timing or is a Gas Direct injected vehicle which have been around since the early 2000.  these motors have a very specific oil specifications and change intervals. So check what is specified by the manufacturer. Change intervals are very important don't go over what is specified and it does not hurt to change oil under that specified time, we are seeing a lot of variable cam timing vehicles with cam phaser and T chain issues on motors with under 60K on them due to improper oil and change intervals. 

Informative Informative x 2 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.