December 19, 2018, 02:13:41 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Wind from this fairing ride Street Glide is almost too much.  (Read 209 times)

December 02, 2018, 03:08:24 PM
Read 209 times

Hawg Runner

Just picked up this 19 Street Glide Special and the wind from the fairing is mighty rough, already ordered a flip windshield from Freedom Shields, and lower fangs from JES, waiting for them to come in, hope this does the trick as they did on the Chieftain I had. Has anyone find if the deflectors that go on the side of the fairing do any good? Would the combo of all three be any good, or just stay with the windshield and fangs? Thanks.

December 02, 2018, 04:32:25 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Never had wind reason to buy a different shield. On my Electra Glide early on I went with a shorter smoked replacement more for looks. And on my Heritage I just use the style and height that come with the motorcycle. So I can’t provide direct experience on wind issues and what solves that.

I have heard good things about the Freedom Shield so that might be the trick.

https://freedomshields.net/

I have also heard good things about Long Ride Shields and Klock Werks

https://longrideshields.com/

https://www.getklocked.com/shop/flaretm-for-2014-flh

December 02, 2018, 04:40:29 PM
Reply #2

Hawg Runner

Ok, before I always rode sans a windshield or fairing, so the wind was always straight on and not blowing up as with the fairing, just seems more with the Street Glide than the Chieftain. Reckon I'll find out when the parts come in.  ;)

December 02, 2018, 04:59:18 PM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
Blowing up would be bad. I can understand why you want to solve that.

December 03, 2018, 10:02:22 AM
Reply #4

maniacmac

Global Moderator
The Klockwork windshield has the best reviews and I love mine.
CARS SUCK!

December 03, 2018, 12:36:55 PM
Reply #5

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  @Hawg Runner,
  I only have a couple small observations for you:

1) The middle vent, just below the windscreen should be left open.  When I close it the wind buffeting around my helmet is very annoying.  Who'd a thunk it?

2)  The wind blowing upward from the tank area can dislodge objects in a shirt pocket.  I lost a new can of Copenhagen snuff once.

This is the windscreen that came on my used bike:

Manufacturer unknown.  Measuring 9 3/4 tall on the outside, with extra width and a slight forward tilting lip at the top.  Being more accustomed to no wind protection, this is working well for me.

Cheers,
Ferrous

Edit:  It appears to be this one from H-D
Accessory/factory Windscreen
Like Like x 1 View List

December 03, 2018, 01:40:33 PM
Reply #6

Hawg Runner

Thanks for the vent information, will give it a whirl, and yep I know about the pocket, lost a little a time or two when I forget, going with a 4 inch shield with a flip, kinda on the short side for a 5 inch shield.

December 15, 2018, 10:24:23 PM
Reply #7

Hawg Runner

Put the JES fork wind deflectors (fangs) on my ride and greatly helped the ride with the wind.
Like Like x 2 View List

December 16, 2018, 01:03:54 PM
Reply #8

WantMore

Supporting Member
Put the JES fork wind deflectors (fangs) on my ride and greatly helped the ride with the wind.
Good to know that they work. Others will be wondering.

Here is their website.

JES Wind Deflectors
Smoke em if you got em

December 16, 2018, 02:16:59 PM
Reply #9

HDBitchin

Administrator
Thanks for the vent information, will give it a whirl, and yep I know about the pocket, lost a little a time or two when I forget, going with a 4 inch shield with a flip, kinda on the short side for a 5 inch shield.
Thanks for the followup! HDBitchin Rep (Karma) given!

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.