June 18, 2019, 06:23:55 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Replacing chain + sprockets  (Read 874 times)

November 22, 2018, 05:06:47 PM
Read 874 times

Macs338

Hello. I have a 2012 dyna super glide that a wheel bearing went bad and cause miss alignment of the chain and sprocket. The chain sheared all the teeth off the sprocket. My question is can I get away with just replacing both sprocket and keep the same chain? The chaining only was about 3k mile on it. Thanks for any info you can give me.

November 22, 2018, 06:24:03 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
If the chain sheared all the teeth off the sprocket I would think it might have some undetected wear on the chain. Might want to consider that. 

November 23, 2018, 07:05:45 AM
Reply #2

AbueloBill

Supporting Member

Never attribute to conspiracy that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

November 23, 2018, 07:56:30 AM
Reply #3

J F Go

Community Advocate
If it we're me, for the price of that chain, I'd be putting a new one on. 8)
Agree Agree x 1 View List

November 23, 2018, 10:33:21 AM
Reply #4

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
I would also think that replacing the chain would be the best thing to do at this point.

Some pictures of your chain conversion would be an interesting addition to the thread.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

November 24, 2018, 10:41:04 AM
Reply #5

WantMore

Supporting Member
If the chain sheared all the teeth off the sprocket I would think it might have some undetected wear on the chain. Might want to consider that.
Would have to agree with Tank that if that chain did that to your sprocket that I would not reuse it. Time for a new chain and sprocket.
Smoke em if you got em

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.