September 20, 2019, 03:20:19 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: It's Starter Time  (Read 1118 times)

September 10, 2019, 06:46:02 AM
Reply #15

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
OK, here's the latest on a couple of fronts.
If yoou remember I was dealing with an issue of the bike just not turning over at various times.
Well, this is what I found.
The voltage regulator, whcih is only a few years old, has this issues where if it is not hot (regulator) it functions fine.
After some time it proceeds to quit working.
This is why when I checked the damn thing after starting up the bike, it showed good.
This is why the Lithium battery wouldn't turn over the bike after short rides.
A $30.00 part only two years old that is temp sensitive.
What tipped me off was riding home one night from work I noticed the headlight looked slightly dimmer than it looked going to work.
Work was only 2.5 miles one way.
Checking it as soon as I got home showed the problem.
Om another front, the wife is going in for her other knee on the October 22nd.
I've taken the week off to get her through the intial stuff of having this kind of surgery.
You know, no matter how well you take care of things, time eventually has it's way.
Bikes, body, whatever.
I think if everything was perfect, we wouldn't appreciate living as much.
- Nowhereman
Like Like x 1 View List

September 10, 2019, 07:25:28 AM
Reply #16

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Congrats on the scoot, @Nowhereman .  Even though it would have been a very minor distraction while focusing on The Wife.  Best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery.  No doubt she'll be up and about and cracking the whip  before you know it.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)

September 10, 2019, 07:59:54 AM
Reply #17

HDBitchin

Administrator
Wishing your wife and the bike a speedy recovery!

September 11, 2019, 09:40:10 AM
Reply #18

J F Go

Community Advocate
Good luck and God Bless your wife for a successful and speedy recovery. :)  (The bikes on you, LOL.) ^*?

September 12, 2019, 06:01:56 AM
Reply #19

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
This bike charging thing gets weirder all the time.
I swapped out regulators for the issue I explained above and when I pulled it, the wire lead tha goes to the starter switch behind the rear fender had this..
About where the shocks are next to the frame was a piece of insulation nicely worn away for about one inch. Almost like someone had cut it away.
All the way around the wire. It had been rubbing up against the shock or frame for some time.
Nice short potential there. You could not see it even when you dropped down onto the floor to cut the zip ties off for replacement. ^*?
Anyway, a decent ride of about 15 miles then a stop at a gas station. Re-started the scoot and boom!, firred right back up with a slight button push off the bars, just like before.
I almost cried with joy. £~¥
BTW, this next surgery for the OL will make the bionic count now 1 hip, 1 partial knee and now 1 full knee replacement.

This girl is my hero for all the surgeries she's gone through.
Airlines love to practice on her :o
- Nowhereman
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.