November 14, 2018, 05:38:30 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: It ain't over till it's over  (Read 235 times)

October 28, 2018, 10:32:05 AM
Read 235 times

Screamin beagle

Supporting Member
Living in upstate New York I accept that we have a pretty short riding season. Usually I get over it and put the bike up for it's hibernation. This year in holding out...hoping for some decent temps...mid 40s in the morning would be great for the ride into work, we've been in the 30s and high 20s the past few weeks. Seems like skipped fall and went right into winter. So I ordered a pair of heated gloves which have been a game changer as far as being comfortable in the cold. I also did something I swore I'd never do...i bought a pair of leather chaps...another revelation. I'm amazed how much different the ride is now...no wind blowing up my pant legs and my lower legs don't get cold on the ride to work. That's it...just trying to extend my riding season...now if I could only buy something to help with the damn deer.
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

October 28, 2018, 11:21:11 AM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Sounds like you have got some extra riding days out of the things you have done (heated gloves and chaps) which is great!

I got a bit of a chuckle when you commented about the chaps, I have said the same thing and I am still a holdout on buying chaps but it is easier for me stay away from chaps living in the Phoenix, AZ area as long as I don't ride in the winter months to the higher elevations in Arizona that do see true winter temps.
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

October 28, 2018, 01:33:00 PM
Reply #2

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
It isn’t easy to put the motorcycle up for the winter. Glad to hear you are getting a few more miles in your riding season.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 View List

October 28, 2018, 02:14:41 PM
Reply #3

j f go

Community Advocate
If you wear some "Hunter Orange" and bring your 308 with you i'm pretty sure you won't see any more deer. At least that is what seems to work for me anyways. ;D
Funny Funny x 2 View List

October 29, 2018, 07:37:28 AM
Reply #4

WantMore

Supporting Member
The right riding gear can make a difference when it gets colder. I have seen guys wearing snowmobile suits on motorcycles.

Good to hear that you are beating Mother Nature here at the end of the season. 
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

November 07, 2018, 07:43:53 AM
Reply #5

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I use a heated vest in the winter and I ridden temps in the teens comfortably. As long as you don't walk around in your chaps after your ride it's ok to wear them lol.
CARS SUCK!

November 07, 2018, 08:54:29 AM
Reply #6

HDBitchin

Administrator
Instead of chaps whenever I have ridden on a cold day the pants of my rain suit have worked just fine to keep my warmth from escaping.

Underneath the rain suit pants some Long Johns and Levi jeans are all I have needed.
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

November 08, 2018, 05:49:52 PM
Reply #7

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I have used my rain suit several times when I got without a jacket. It works real well as Tank said
CARS SUCK!

November 08, 2018, 06:55:04 PM
Reply #8

Screamin beagle

Supporting Member
Rode to work the last 2 days...no rain finally. Unfortunately they're forecasting some accumulating snow. Salt on the roads will be the end of the season for me. The rain pants is a great idea...never even thought about it but really they're doing the same thing as the chaps...cutting the wind chill down. Only thing that sucks about the rain gear is it takes up almost the whole saddle bag. This is my first bagger and it amazes how shit I need to ride now lol...2 pairs of glasses at least 2 types of gloves sometimes I have 3 with me...enough tools to rebuild the top end on the side of the road. Used to be if a bungee cord couldn't hold it on the bike i didn't need it. 
Agree Agree x 1 View List

November 09, 2018, 09:39:52 PM
Reply #9

bc45

Global Moderator
I have been thinking about some heated gloves also, I bought a pair of riding pants a couple years ago that have removable liners and they are also water proof.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.