November 16, 2018, 03:18:48 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Motorcycle cannonball  (Read 922 times)

September 12, 2018, 08:04:18 PM
Reply #15

j f go

Community Advocate
sometimes going to those places you would never go to turn out to be cool. I accidentally found a new and cool route to Colorado because of my GPS, Never try Never know

My son and I ended up in a very sketchy area because I missed a turn and the GPS put us in harms way. Never again.

September 14, 2018, 04:25:41 AM
Reply #16

mqqn

Global Moderator
See, I can learn something new everyday,LOL 8) It's still a pretty good way to do things. I still like regular old maps. They don't "lose" me like GPS has. Miss one turn and they take you places you would not ever go on your own.  &{

I call it DBP - Document Based Positioning.

I still look at a map to ensure I know an approximate route before relying on a phone, you'd be surprised (maybe not) at how often the GPS route is much less efficient for whatever reason.

The cannonball looks neat - I have ridden most of that route many times on less vintage stuff.

I don't know if I buy that the bikes are worth more dirty since they are all restored at the beginning of the race you aren't buying any originality, but whatever makes the boat float.

I agree with Mac though, the only shiny spots on Fat Bastard are the grips, seat and pegs.

best

mqqn
Like Like x 3 View List

September 14, 2018, 07:19:43 AM
Reply #17

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I call it DBP - Document Based Positioning.

I still look at a map to ensure I know an approximate route before relying on a phone, you'd be surprised (maybe not) at how often the GPS route is much less efficient for whatever reason.

The cannonball looks neat - I have ridden most of that route many times on less vintage stuff.

I don't know if I buy that the bikes are worth more dirty since they are all restored at the beginning of the race you aren't buying any originality, but whatever makes the boat float.

I agree with Mac though, the only shiny spots on Fat Bastard are the grips, seat and pegs.

best

mqqn
It was one of the buyers who informed me that they leave the dirt and mud on the bikes because these buyers are not going to ride them just display them with the story of the race
CARS SUCK!
Like Like x 2 View List

September 15, 2018, 04:36:40 AM
Reply #18

mqqn

Global Moderator
Hi Mac -

I completely believe you and your friend, I just don't see that the dirt on a restored bike would add more value, at least for me -

As a display bike, it would be nice, if the bike is already restored, to just have a nice restored bike.

Maybe the dirt provides some feeling that the purchaser did the ride, which seems a little creepy lol.

I have a nice, dirty Concours that is well ridden, and I'll throw in some dirty boots too, if anyone is interested. ;)

best

mqqn

September 20, 2018, 12:19:47 PM
Reply #19

WantMore

Supporting Member
Good to see the old iron rolling down the road! 
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 View List

September 29, 2018, 06:54:44 PM
Reply #20

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is a wrap up of the 2018 Cannonball race that RevZilla just posted.

1914 Harley-Davidson wins fifth coast-to-coast Motorcycle Cannonball
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation
Like Like x 2 View List

September 30, 2018, 11:15:37 AM
Reply #21

WantMore

Supporting Member
I have to somehow make it to one of the stops next year and see this in person. Very cool!
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 View List

October 05, 2018, 10:10:37 PM
Reply #22

bc45

Global Moderator
I have to somehow make it to one of the stops next year and see this in person. Very cool!

Hope you can do that, it is very cool and worth a drive if a stop is close enough. If I wasn't in Alaska when it finished in Portland OR I would have made the 2hr 45 min drive. 
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.