October 22, 2018, 11:14:11 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Bad ignition module or what?  (Read 383 times)

August 12, 2018, 11:33:47 AM
Read 383 times

BlueHawg

Okay guys and gals, I'm a newbie here at the forum and I need some help. Got a 98 Ultra Classic fuel injected Evo. Bike has had no issues for the last 3 and 1/2 to 4 years and now suddenly it has begun dying on me while going down the road. It acts as if you hit the kill switch while riding and don't flip it back on. It has done this a couple of times now and only seems to do it while riding. I can let it idle and my driveway and have no issues. Once it cools off it will start again with no issues. I've had one certified Harley mechanic recommend replacing the primary circuit breaker by the battery but I do not believe that is the issue being as how when it dies I still have electrical power to the lights, radio, Etc. Based on my limited knowledge about electrical current I would think that if that circuit breaker  activates then it would kill the power to everything until it reset . When it dies I can hit the starter button and the engine will turn over it will just not fire off until it has cooled down for a while. I am in the process of checking the kill switch wiring and such and I am looking for suggestions on things that I can check myself without throwing a hundred dollar bills at it. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks.

August 12, 2018, 11:49:40 AM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Welcome to our little forum!!

The ignition module could be getting hot and breaking down electrically.

Get a can of component cooler or sometimes called freeze mist to spray on it. If it starts right up after cooling it down with this freezing spray you have found a thermal defect caused by heating of the component.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/component-cooler

I don't think your Run/Stop or "kill" switch is the issue because if that switch is open the engine will not turn over and you stated that it turns over but just won't start.

Some general ideas to give thought to...

Engine Turns Over But Does Not Start
1. Fouled spark plugs.
2. Discharged battery, loose or damaged battery terminal connections.
3. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting, cable connections loose
4. Damaged wire or loose wire connection at ignition coil, battery, or ECM connector.
5. Ignition timing incorrect due to faulty ignition coil, ECM or sensors.
6. Bank Angle Sensor tripped and ignition switch not cycled OFF then back to IGNITION.
7. Fuel filter clogged.
8. Sticking or damaged valve(s) or wrong length push rod(s).
9. Plugged fuel injectors.
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

August 12, 2018, 08:11:09 PM
Reply #2

bc45

Global Moderator
Take a spark tester or a spark plug with you and ride untill it stalls, unplug one spark plug wire and hook it up to the spark plug wire and ground the plug or spak tester and crank the engine over. if there is no spark then the Ignition module would be a strong possibility.

August 12, 2018, 08:28:54 PM
Reply #3

BlueHawg

Okay I have swapped all the relays under the seat and it is still doing it so it's not going to be a bad relay. I did also check for spark whenever it shut down with another spark plug and it is not firing until it cools off again. And just to verify but no fire condition I waited till it cooled off and started it back up and checked for spark then and I had spark at the spark plug. Did this several times to confirm that I have a no fire condition

August 13, 2018, 09:46:26 AM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Welcome to our little forum!!

The ignition module could be getting hot and breaking down electrically.

Get a can of component cooler or sometimes called freeze mist to spray on it. If it starts right up after cooling it down with this freezing spray you have found a thermal defect caused by heating of the component.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/component-cooler

I don't think your Run/Stop or "kill" switch is the issue because if that switch is open the engine will not turn over and you stated that it turns over but just won't start.

Some general ideas to give thought to...

Engine Turns Over But Does Not Start
1. Fouled spark plugs.
2. Discharged battery, loose or damaged battery terminal connections.
3. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting, cable connections loose
4. Damaged wire or loose wire connection at ignition coil, battery, or ECM connector.
5. Ignition timing incorrect due to faulty ignition coil, ECM or sensors.
6. Bank Angle Sensor tripped and ignition switch not cycled OFF then back to IGNITION.
7. Fuel filter clogged.
8. Sticking or damaged valve(s) or wrong length push rod(s).
9. Plugged fuel injectors.
It continues to sounds like a heat issue. My best advice for now is trying the freeze mist as I originally suggested. My original response is repeated above.  :)
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 13, 2018, 07:59:22 PM
Reply #5

bc45

Global Moderator
You can use a heat gun that you can get at any home store. you can direct the heat at targeted components and see if the bike shuts down while you have it running in the shop. just remember most heat guns are around 500 degrees on low. they will bubble paint and heat things up in a hurry.
Like Like x 1 View List

August 13, 2018, 08:52:32 PM
Reply #6

maniacmac

Global Moderator
You have described the symptoms of a failing ignition module as others have suggested.
CARS SUCK!

August 20, 2018, 09:52:45 AM
Reply #7

WantMore

Supporting Member
Any update @BlueHawg ? If you still need help just ask. If you solved it, let us know what you found.
Smoke em if you got em

August 20, 2018, 12:29:04 PM
Reply #8

BlueHawg

Ordered a new ignition module and coil. They should be here tomorrow and I will get it put back together and hopefully back on the road.
Like Like x 1 View List

August 20, 2018, 04:49:58 PM
Reply #9

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Replacing the coil is smart because it may have caused the module to fail
CARS SUCK!

August 23, 2018, 05:36:51 PM
Reply #10

BlueHawg

Ok, the mechanic ordered the Dynatek D2KI-5P for me. Unfortunately it is not for a fuel injected bike. Anyone have any ideas of an ignition set that will work with fuel injection? Dynatek, S&S, V-Twin, Etc. I'm having a hard time finding one that's for EFI.

August 23, 2018, 06:37:07 PM
Reply #11

HDBitchin

Administrator
Take a look at this link to J&P Cycles. This page is a search result for a 1998 Electra Glide Ultra Classic EFI (FLHTCUI) Ignition Systems.

https://www.jpcycles.com/1998-harley-davidson-touring-electra-glide-ultra-classic-efi-flhtcui/ignition-systems
HDBitchin aka Tank 
Informative Informative x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.