October 22, 2018, 11:13:38 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: REVER GO Beacon Testing  (Read 1626 times)

August 06, 2018, 12:07:58 PM
Reply #15

j f go

Community Advocate
Didn't work in the vest pocket either. ( Providing I did all the "Geek"stuff correctly, LOL. ^*?)

August 06, 2018, 01:00:28 PM
Reply #16

HDBitchin

Administrator
I have sent a couple of feedback emails to REVER including an invite for them to look at this thread.

The first email I sent was about the heavy battery drain that the “always on” setting for location services did to the phone’s battery.

Two other emails detailed the no tracking when inside a saddlebag, windshield bag or microphone case. The answer I got from them was that if the phone is nearby the beacon being in saddlebag shouldn’t matter. But unfortunately it does seem to matter.
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

August 06, 2018, 06:03:30 PM
Reply #17

HDBitchin

Administrator
The testing of the beacon inside the microphone case did not go well. What I got was like previously seen, numerous ride “start” text messages along the route that I rode but it never tracked the ride. The beacon must be weak and it can’t be seen easily when in a windshield bag, saddlebag or even a microphone case designed for Bluetooth.
So the results of my ride home was a bit different and somewhat encouraging. On this test the GO was still in the Bluetooth microphone case.

All my tests in the past have been done with the app running in the background. Just in standby you might say. I thought that might be favorable to the “start” sequence to help it start tracking automatically.

This ride home from work was done with the app turned off completely. What happened is the app started tracking but it woke up to realizing that it should be tracking about 2 miles late and max speed said I hit 120 MPH and averaged 79 MPH. Although it tracked it still sent 3 “Ride Start Text” messages. 

When I came in the house I saw the text alerts first and thought “oh well another failed attempt”. But when I opened the app it had a tracked ride for me to save. I saved it and then oddly got a message that said the app had lost connection to GO and would I like to save the tracked ride. I had already done that so this message was just slow to appear for some reason.
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 10, 2018, 08:01:58 PM
Reply #18

HDBitchin

Administrator
REVER sent a survey to all the Beta testing riders. I gave them my feedback in the survey and as said in this thread I have sent them emails detailing my ride results.

I like the idea of this product. Hopefully they have received some useful feedback from the survey and others that have sent email.
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 16, 2018, 07:05:48 PM
Reply #19

HDBitchin

Administrator
I took the Heritage to work today and placed the REVER GO Beacon in the windshield bag. I had poor results.

On the ride into work I got 10 ride start text messages and it did not track any portion of the ride.

On the ride home it sent 3 ride start text messages to my phone and never tracked a ride.
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 16, 2018, 07:45:04 PM
Reply #20

j f go

Community Advocate
I took the Heritage to work today and placed the REVER GO Beacon in the windshield bag. I had poor results.

On the ride into work I got 10 ride start text messages and it did not track any portion of the ride.

On the ride home it sent 3 ride start text messages to my phone and never tracked a ride.

I've given up. I'm going to do it the old fashion way, commit to memory. ^*? &{ £~¥
Like Like x 1 View List

August 16, 2018, 07:51:37 PM
Reply #21

HDBitchin

Administrator
I just got an email from REVER. They suggested uninstalling the GO beacon and then pairing it again. I did that and will test ride again tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
HDBitchin aka Tank 
Like Like x 1 View List

August 19, 2018, 09:26:42 AM
Reply #22

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Good luck!!!    £~¥   I hope all is well at your end.  Finally starting to put some miles on the Michigan Wing.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)
Like Like x 1 View List

August 20, 2018, 08:32:22 AM
Reply #23

HDBitchin

Administrator
I just got an email from REVER. They suggested uninstalling the GO beacon and then pairing it again. I did that and will test ride again tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
Even after doing the above (uninstalling and pairing again) it still does the same or similar.

I rode the Electra Glide this morning with the GO beacon in the Bluetooth microphone case and it never tracked the ride but it gave me 7 start ride texts that shared my location.
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 20, 2018, 05:40:12 PM
Reply #24

HDBitchin

Administrator
Even after doing the above (uninstalling and pairing again) it still does the same or similar.

I rode the Electra Glide this morning with the GO beacon in the Bluetooth microphone case and it never tracked the ride but it gave me 7 start ride texts that shared my location.
On the ride home from work I thought I would try something different. Since it didn’t work properly with the location setting in app set to “always”, I thought I would see what happens if I selected the incorrect location services setting. On tne ride home I selected for location to be shared with the App “While Using the App”. With that setting I opened the app so that it would be in what I might call standby (but not active). Set like this I would have thought that the Go and the App would see the movement and start tracking my ride... it did nothing. 
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 20, 2018, 05:57:06 PM
Reply #25

j f go

Community Advocate
Sure am glad I don't have any money invested in it, aren't you ? ^*?

August 20, 2018, 06:03:16 PM
Reply #26

HDBitchin

Administrator
Sure am glad I don't have any money invested in it, aren't you ? ^*?
Ha ha! Well that is one good thing. We aren’t out any cash.

I will say that the email exchanges that I have had with REVER has been appreciative of my efforts. They obviously want it to work and I hope that it will.
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 22, 2018, 07:48:05 AM
Reply #27

HDBitchin

Administrator
Test ride this morning to work on the Heritage failed. Had the GO Beacon in the Bluetooth microphone case that I have previously described. That case was mounted on the top of my windshield bag.

App had the privilege of location services setting of “always” turned on. The app was started and left running. The app showed my location with a green dot on the map (something that REVER has asked me to confirm).

The ride issued 7 “start of ride text messages” but did track the last 3.7 miles of the 12 mile ride.  That short part of the ride was then saved by me but later I got a message after saving that ride that the App was out of range with the Beacon and asked if would I like to save my ride. Nothing more was available to be saved so I guess that was an slow app reaction. I have seen that late message once before.
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 22, 2018, 08:28:05 AM
Reply #28

WantMore

Supporting Member
REVER should be paying you Tank!
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 2 View List

August 22, 2018, 09:14:50 AM
Reply #29

HDBitchin

Administrator
REVER should be paying you Tank!
I have spoken with the owner about them being a Supporting Vendor. They also own Butler Maps (a motorcycle map company).
HDBitchin aka Tank 

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.