August 17, 2018, 06:29:27 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Speedometers  (Read 210 times)

July 30, 2018, 07:35:46 AM
Read 210 times

Nowhereman

Well, bike is running great now but, my speedometer has been finicky for the last two years  and now I think it's tits up.
This is the 2nd unit since the birth of this bike and trying to find a new replacement is getting tough.
I run  aach on the bars in addition to the speedo in the dash.
Replacement speedos from the manufacture of my tach seem to be changing to a the all in one type with tach and speedo under one unit.
Auto meter used to make a speedo unit that matched my tach but JP isn't carrying it or Auto meter stopped making it.
Even HD isn't stocking the factory units anymore.
- Nowhereman

August 06, 2018, 10:03:35 AM
Reply #1

WantMore

Supporting Member
If you search the word NOS (new old stock) on the forum you will find some parts companies that Tank has linked that might have an OE speedometer.
Smoke em if you got em

August 06, 2018, 02:32:36 PM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is a link to the thread WantMore was talking about...

NOS Harley Davidson Parts Sources

Don’t only read the first post in that thread, scroll down as a few more NOS sources were added at a later date.
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

August 06, 2018, 08:24:38 PM
Reply #3

Nowhereman

Thanks guys.
I isolated the speedo issue to the tranny sensor.
Put  a stock unit in to replace the programmable unit that has graced the trans for five years.
It works again but is reading about 10 mph slower.
I'll order one of the programmers that go between the sensor and the speedo.
$110.00 but, I can dial it in while riding.
Other than that, I re-jetted the Mik to compensate the high heat going on here in CA.
Main dropped to 178 from a 182.5 and the idle jet to a 30 from a 32.5.
Starts like a light switch and should help out the MPG thing a little.
I've owned this scoot for twenty years and it runs great; just can't see getting rid of her for anything new.
Though, I'd like to build a custom RG sometime....hehehe
- Nowhereman
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 4 View List

August 08, 2018, 02:11:49 PM
Reply #4

Nowhereman

Replaced both the mileage reset odometer and the road lights switch that I installed into the dash.
The road lights button is just like the mileage odometer, just on the opposite side.
Picked up three switches for under ten bucks from JP.
- Nowhereman
Like Like x 4 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.