October 22, 2018, 10:39:30 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: New Project Bike  (Read 880 times)

July 31, 2018, 09:16:08 AM
Reply #15

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
@Rider Ron

You deserve some HDBitchin Rep (Karma) for all that work and that last post! Thanks for posting.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 View List

August 01, 2018, 08:31:41 AM
Reply #16

HDBitchin

Administrator
Hang in there Ron! It looks like there might be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for sharing.
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

August 01, 2018, 03:11:22 PM
Reply #17

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Thanks, Larry.

Update:

Welcome to August.  For those of us in the desert Southwest, hopefully relief is not far off.  For the rest of you, enjoy the season while it's here.   :D

Regarding the headlight:  As stated before, it is ready to be installed.  It works when temporarily hooked up.  I have ordered gen-u-ine OEM chrome screws and washers.

Front Turn Signals:  Again, they work when hooked up.  I also ordered the shiny OEM stems (same order as above), and all is supposed to arrive by Friday.

Today I reinstalled the pigtail for the Battery Tender. 

The Big Victory of the day is getting the bike running!   £~¥  As you may recall, I have been wondering about the electronic ignition and that mysterious dangling red wire.  I finally thought through it AGAIN, and despite every other system I'm familiar with having a Black Box, and 2 of the 3 wires out of the points/pickup area going to the coils (confirmed), it just HAD to be a power wire...  So I connected it to the positive post on the battery just long enough for proof of concept, and wouldn't you know, it fired right up.  And no smoke or sparks, either!  So apparently the whole show is self contained...  There are no identifying markings in there.  See the pic.

Sooo, happy days will be here again, but I probably won't get everything done before I leave Saturday for a nice visit with F & F back in Michigan, as we are babysitting the grandson tomorrow and Friday.  He's only 2, so his "help" could extend the timeframes.   ;D

I'm not sure whether I will get in another update before I leave, but I will keep in touch while gone.  I may even post pics etc of rides there.

Ride Safe.  Ron

PS.  The picture shows upside down.   ???
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)
Agree Agree x 2 View List

August 01, 2018, 03:19:31 PM
Reply #18

j f go

Community Advocate
Ya just gotta love it, when you perform the ol "arc and spark test", and you get neither.  £~¥

August 01, 2018, 03:34:23 PM
Reply #19

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
You betcha!!   ;D

OF  aka Old Fart  🤠

August 01, 2018, 04:03:57 PM
Reply #20

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
And THANK YOU for allowing me to share my story, and for all your support.  I'm glad I could return the favor for the projects you folks have posted.  This is a great place to hang out.   <\ 8)

Ron
Like Like x 3 View List

August 06, 2018, 10:01:03 AM
Reply #21

WantMore

Supporting Member
Great progress! Thanks for posting.
Smoke em if you got em

August 09, 2018, 01:56:18 PM
Reply #22

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Those years of motorcycles are the good ole days!
Two Lane Highway

August 09, 2018, 07:42:03 PM
Reply #23

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
I probably enjoy them too much.  I finally fired up the bike here this evening.  It sounded good to hear.  Definitely needs a bath.  But the weather here lends itself well to driveway duties right now.  It's comforting to know that the project bike should only take a good day's work to get on the road once I get back later in the month.

Ride Safe.

Ron
Like Like x 1 View List

August 12, 2018, 08:56:47 PM
Reply #24

bc45

Global Moderator
You must be feeling good getting it running.
Agree Agree x 2 View List

August 13, 2018, 09:35:58 AM
Reply #25

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Yes.  And it has been on a serious weight loss program, so it should be feeling pretty spunky, especially after such a long nap.   8)

Ron
Like Like x 2 Funny Funny x 2 View List

September 18, 2018, 01:02:15 PM
Reply #26

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Well, here it is, September already.  I didn't return to the Valley here until 9/2.  I had a nice long visit 'back home', and put about 1500 miles on Darth.  No decent road trips, but a number of shorter rides.  I experienced the joys of ducking rain again.   :D  After I got back I found that the Honey Do list had grown, and it was still too hot until very recently to work in the garage.  But I did get the turn signals permanenly installed and functional.  I connected the power line for the ignition module to the tail light circuit so that it would be both switched and fused.  I removed the trunk or top box, to expose the nice chrome luggage rack.   The knockoff headlight ring assembly was a bit of a bust, the 3 mounting screws wouldn't all line up and the reflector/lense assembly was loose with no good way to tighten it up.  So I just mounted it with the top screw and put duck tape along the underside until the 'new' OEM unit arrives on Thursday.  I then gave it a quickie clean up so that I could do another shakedown ride to get a feel for it.  I met Bobosoftail and Abuelo Bill for coffee this morning.  It felt great.  I will install the clear fairing later today or tomorrow.  It's getting closer to completion!

What do you think so far?

Ron
Like Like x 2 View List

September 18, 2018, 01:16:27 PM
Reply #27

HDBitchin

Administrator
Motorcycle history is alive and doing well! Looks great!
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

September 18, 2018, 01:47:37 PM
Reply #28

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

@Rider Ron,

Great pictures, great restoration.  Those saddlebags look every bit, "the business".

Cheers,
Ferrous

September 18, 2018, 02:31:29 PM
Reply #29

j f go

Community Advocate
Looks really nice. Good job.  8)

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.