December 19, 2018, 03:00:47 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Neutral  (Read 677 times)

July 17, 2018, 04:57:43 PM
Read 677 times

thjo0712

Hi All,

Bought a 2011 Ultra Classic Electra Glide from a friend who cannot ride anymore to a medical reason.
Been on the bike and found it is very hard or sensitive to shift to the neutral position shifting down or up. 
It has the tendency to go pass neutral when I shift up or down. I have too shift back and forth to find the neutral position.
I been on other HD and Japanese Touring bikes and found none of the above issue that I am experiencing.
Can someone please shine some light toward my question.
The friend was the second owner, and he said it was like this from when he bought it.
The bike has 69,000km on it, and he bought it around 20,000kms. He has not changed the clutch.

Thanks.

July 17, 2018, 05:30:35 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
One thing that causes difficulties finding neutral is a misadjusted clutch.

If you have a service manual it is described very well in the manual and if you don’t have a manual then take a look at this thread...

HD Clutch Adjustment DIY
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php?topic=148.0

Welcome to the forum.

July 20, 2018, 07:42:06 AM
Reply #2

mqqn

Global Moderator
Also might change the transmission fluid to ensure fresh lube internally.

Good luck!

best

mqqn
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 2 View List

July 20, 2018, 08:43:19 PM
Reply #3

bc45

Global Moderator
Like Larry said check and adjust the clutch and change the trans fluid like mqqn suggested.
Like Like x 2 View List

July 21, 2018, 03:20:17 PM
Reply #4

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
Hi All,

Bought a 2011 Ultra Classic Electra Glide from a friend who cannot ride anymore to a medical reason.
Been on the bike and found it is very hard or sensitive to shift to the neutral position shifting down or up. 
It has the tendency to go pass neutral when I shift up or down. I have too shift back and forth to find the neutral position.
I been on other HD and Japanese Touring bikes and found none of the above issue that I am experiencing.
The friend was the second owner, and he said it was like this from when he bought it.
The bike has 69,000km on it, and he bought it around 20,000kms. He has not changed the clutch.

Thanks.

I was the second owner(1200 miles), same ride, same shifting and switched to( I live in the desert so...) 20-50 SYNTHETIC.  Seemed to help for 73k miles!  I now run that in all three holes in my new ride!  Fingers crossed for you!
USARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR 2015 FNG, 2016 -  2019 SR STAGING, 2019 ASSISTANT TEAM LDR

July 26, 2018, 05:29:22 PM
Reply #5

dfeagin5919

Amsoil Synthetic Primary Oil. I find neutral everytime.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agree Agree x 1 View List

July 27, 2018, 09:09:23 PM
Reply #6

thjo0712

Thanks Gentlemen for all your advice, will take it one at the time.

July 28, 2018, 09:18:01 AM
Reply #7

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Proper clutch adjustment is the most important thing to ensure. Correct fluid is important but also check that you have the proper fluid level in the primary. The fluid level should just reach the bottom of the clutch basket with the motorcycle of the jiffy stand and level.

I also found this thread in the DIY section of the forum.

Harley Davidson Gear Shift Linkage and Neutral Issues
Two Lane Highway
Like Like x 1 View List

August 26, 2018, 09:51:45 AM
Reply #8

WantMore

Supporting Member
hey @thjo0712 did the clutch adjustment resolve the finding neutral issue?
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

October 07, 2018, 04:24:19 PM
Reply #9

Screamin beagle

Supporting Member
I have a hydraulic clutch and there's a very fine line between enough oil and too much...just a little too much and neutrals almost impossible to get. Start with the free and or easy stuff first like these other guys said...adjust and change fluid with correct amount.

December 02, 2018, 01:05:33 PM
Reply #10

terryshalifoe

Hi All,

Thanks.
Might want to try red line trans fluid https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/329c41c931a9126655ba18414e24b586.jpg
Neutral

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

December 04, 2018, 08:17:36 AM
Reply #11

WantMore

Supporting Member
One thing that causes difficulties finding neutral is a misadjusted clutch.

If you have a service manual it is described very well in the manual and if you don’t have a manual then take a look at this thread...

HD Clutch Adjustment DIY
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php?topic=148.0

Welcome to the forum.
The clutch adjustment is the issue in my opinion. If that isn’t correct then finding neutral is going to be difficult.

Can one brand of lube versus another brand of primary or trans lube make a difference? For this neutral issue I don’t believe that any one fluid (or lube brand) is better than the next but some folks swear by theirs and claim the clutch and neutral issues are solved with what they use. Sorry but I can’t see the science in those claims. I will somewhat agree that the proper primary lube level might have bearing on the ease of finding neutral. Just my two cents.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.