December 19, 2018, 02:29:17 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: 2016 ultra classic low, thinking of getting  (Read 827 times)

July 02, 2018, 02:22:00 PM
Read 827 times

Hawg Runner

Well yo people, thinking of switching from my Indian Chieftain Dark Horse to a 16 ultra classic low, got a pard that has a 16 street glide special and really is enjoying it, I'm only about 5' 4" so the reason am thinking of the low, road tested a 17 last year, but they offered me pert near zilch for trading so I walked, anything good and bad I should look for? Asking $18,860 for it with about 6500 miles on it, don't get me wrong, the Indian is a right good bike, but miss my HD. Thanks

July 02, 2018, 04:52:21 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
2016, the last year of the Twin Cam. Is that good or bad? IMO it is good because you have the benefit of all the prior years of engineering that went into the Twin Cam to make it what it is today. It really is a good motor but it does have some weak areas that are well known.

IMO if you don’t abuse it and do the required service it will run for years.

If the Low version of the Electra Glide is still not low enough here is a company that you might look at.

Touring Model Drop Seat Kit Options and Install - DIY
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php?topic=1626.0

July 02, 2018, 07:12:42 PM
Reply #2

Hawg Runner

Pretty informative, but only had up to where he reinstalled rear fender, but I get the drift, appreciate the help.
Like Like x 1 View List

July 03, 2018, 07:29:20 AM
Reply #3

WantMore

Supporting Member
Well I hope it works out for you.

As far as what to look out for? With just 6500 miles the motorcycle is pretty young and has lots of miles and smiles to give you. Take it to an independent mechanic for a look. Someone like that might be able to find something hidden that the untrained eye might not see.

As far as price, I have always found Kelly Blue Book to give a pretty fair assessment. Here is a link...

https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/

Good luck! And welcome to the forum!
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

July 03, 2018, 07:36:40 PM
Reply #4

bc45

Global Moderator
I have a 2016 Ultra limited, I originally went and test drove a Limited low, I am 5' 9" I ended up getting the Limited as I did not like the ride of the Low. the shocks bottomed out with me and my wife on just regular irregularity in the road not to mention the jar it gave you if you hit a slight hole or went over a raised man hole cover. and my knees where you to my elbows due to the seat also being 1 inch lower than the standard limited. I have had no trouble with the twin cooled motor and it runs strong, stronger than my 2012 103 Heritage. I could not see getting a touring Bike that had next to no suspension travel.

I would recommend you take the Low and if you can have the dealer put a test reach seat on a regular Limited ride that and compare the ride.   

July 04, 2018, 02:45:41 PM
Reply #5

Hawg Runner

bc45, am only about 5' 4" thats why was thinking of the low, but hear ya on the seat, I have a pard with a 16 Street Glide Special and gives me the fits to get it off the kickstand, but I have a 16 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse that I put a lowering link in and I'm flat footed and has a lower center of gravity than the HD and have 0 problems with it, his HD I am on tip toes. I saw earlier about changing the rear subframe, but not sure on price of the kit, or if you can use the stock seat, the vid did not get that far.

July 08, 2018, 10:03:08 AM
Reply #6

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Since @bc45 brought up the Reach Seat that HD offers I thought I might throw a link to this thread on the forum about modifying motorcycle seats to get more control.

Motorcycle Seat Modification Companies

You have likely already thought of this but maybe others will benefit from this offshoot in the discussion.

Two Lane Highway

July 08, 2018, 11:30:16 AM
Reply #7

Hawg Runner

Yeppa, I know about Mean City seats and had my seat on the Indian redone but just for comfort, after thinking of the subframe lowering I thought not good idea, yes would lower me, but would still have the fits of seeing over the dash as just lowers the seat area down. Thanks for the reply.
Like Like x 1 View List

July 08, 2018, 06:19:38 PM
Reply #8

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Yeppa, I know about Mean City seats and had my seat on the Indian redone but just for comfort, after thinking of the subframe lowering I thought not good idea, yes would lower me, but would still have the fits of seeing over the dash as just lowers the seat area down. Thanks for the reply.
I'm 5'6' and ride a 2015 s.g. special, I lowered the front 1 1/2 inches and the rear 1" my feet touch flat on both sides with no trouble. I used progresses front lowing spring kit and rear lowering kit( don't remember brand but don't get the $80.00 one it does fit right) Not only did my feet touch but the bike handles and rides better with the new front springs. I also removed the cover on my stock seat and shaved the sides down and a little out of the middle, also added a little behind me. I restretched the cover back on and it looks stock still. You can do all of this yourself. Good luck with your hunt
CARS SUCK!

July 09, 2018, 06:14:58 PM
Reply #9

Hawg Runner

Yeppa, even thought of the route you took, different shocks in the rear and new springs in the front for a Street Glide Special, I don't really need the tour pack on the dresser, but it is already lowered and would not have to put more money in one to do so. Funds are MIGHTY tight and would take a loss on trading my Indian to boot and have what is left on the loan from the Indian put on top of what the Harley will cost me. My buddy tells me to wait til I pay the Indian some more, but the longer I wait the more is lost on trade in value, real problem is I SHOULD NEVER OF traded my Hawg away, way STUPID of me and am regretting it from day one. The Indian is a good bike, but I sure do miss my Harley.  {=

August 04, 2018, 07:27:20 PM
Reply #10

Hawg Runner

Ok, am gonna go check out the 2018 Street Glide Special tomorrow, here's hoping I get a decent trade in value on my 16 Chieftain Dark Horse, hurts that I just put new Metzler 888 tires, and had the front forks serviced on it. They only have the matte white and twisted cherry and for sure would go with the twisted cherry, I like the matte finish, but not the white.
Like Like x 2 View List

August 04, 2018, 07:53:37 PM
Reply #11

j f go

Community Advocate
Good luck tomorrow and hope you get the deal you want. Let us know what you decide. 8)

August 04, 2018, 08:42:25 PM
Reply #12

HDBitchin

Administrator
Good luck @Hawg Runner !

August 05, 2018, 10:15:27 AM
Reply #13

WantMore

Supporting Member
Ok, am gonna go check out the 2018 Street Glide Special tomorrow, here's hoping I get a decent trade in value on my 16 Chieftain Dark Horse, hurts that I just put new Metzler 888 tires, and had the front forks serviced on it. They only have the matte white and twisted cherry and for sure would go with the twisted cherry, I like the matte finish, but not the white.
I hope the deal goes your way!! Post a picture or two if you have success.
Smoke em if you got em

August 05, 2018, 02:51:23 PM
Reply #14

Hawg Runner

Nope, too much owed on the Indian, credit was good for no down payment, but only offered 12,000 for my trade in, they don't resell them at the Harley dealer and was trying to find someone else to take it, couldn't even get a 15 with 2800 miles on it, wanted too much down payment and still be upside down on what I owe, told them I'll wait til the 18's are considered left overs and see what kind of deal they want to get rid of them, nothing really wrong with the one I have now, least I'm still riding.  ;)

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.