August 21, 2019, 05:44:12 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Erik Buell's Latest Venture, VanguardSpark  (Read 976 times)

April 09, 2018, 06:59:05 PM
Read 976 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
Well you might notice that this thread is in the electric motorcycle section of HDBitchin and not in the Buell section.

That is because Erik is now involved in the development of an electric motorcycle with a company called VanguardSpark, Inc.

Currently there isn't much information on the internet but I did find this LinkedIn page for the company which lists Erik as one of the current 8 employees.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/vanguarspark?trk=ppro_cprof

The About Us on LinkedIn says...

VanguardSpark is an e-Mobility company created to design, develop and bring to market innovative, distinctive and great value-for-money urban electric two-wheelers.

VanguardSpark was created as electric technology is reaching technical and cost competitiveness, and aims at bringing the best design, technology and value to customers looking for distinctive electric two-wheelers.

VanguardSpark is the joint effort of 3 companies with complementary experience, technologies and geographies. They share the same vision for contemporary design, state-of-the art technology and great value for the end-user.

They also have a website but at this point there isn't much on the website except a mailing list link. Here the link to their website...

https://www.vanguardspark.com/

Some more info can be seen on Visor Down's website here...

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-general-news/erik-buell-enters-electric-bike-arena

April 09, 2018, 07:47:42 PM
Reply #1

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Well I am sure he can contribute to anything on two wheels.

But I have to say I didn't see this twist coming!!

Good luck Erik!!
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

April 09, 2018, 09:53:03 PM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Well I am sure he can contribute to anything on two wheels.

But I have to say I didn't see this twist coming!!

Good luck Erik!!
Agree. Erik is one hell of a motorcycle engineer and designer but maybe not a businessman.

But as always, I wish him the best of luck.

The Erik Buell and Buell brand history...

1983: Erik Buell builds his first eponymous (bears his name) motorcycle, the race-only RW750.
1987: Buell Motorcycle Company releases its first Harley-Davidson-powered bike, the RR1000 Battletwin.
1993: Harley-Davidson acquires 49 percent of Buell Motorcycles
2002: Erik Buell is inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame.
2003: Buell Motorcycles becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Harley-Davidson.
2006: Buell Motorcycles produces its 100,000 bike, a Ulysses XB12X.
2007: Buell releases the liquid-cooled, Rotax powered 1125R—the first non-Harley-powered Buell since 1983.
2009: Harley-Davidson “discontinues” Buell Motorcycles. Erik Buell Racing is formed within weeks.
2011: The $43,000 EBR 1190RS, Buell’s first post-Harley-Davidson product, is revealed.
2012: Erik Buell Racing partners with Hero MotoCorp, India’s largest motorcycle manufacturer. Hero purchases 49 percent of EBR the next year.
2015: EBR ceases operations and enters receivership, citing financial stress.
2016: In January of 2016 Liquid Asset Partners takes EBR out of receivership
2017:  In January of 2017 Liquid Asset Partners pulls their financial support.
2018: Erik Buell becomes a founding member of VanguardSpark, an electric motorcycle startup.

April 10, 2018, 08:12:51 AM
Reply #3

WantMore

Supporting Member
Agree. Erik is one hell of a motorcycle engineer and designer but maybe not a businessman.

But as always, I wish him the best of luck.
He lives, eats and breathes motorcycles so I would say they got a good man for the job. Just don't let him run the company.  &{
Smoke em if you got em
Funny Funny x 2 View List

April 11, 2018, 02:54:17 PM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
I got this email from Vanguard Moto detailing their new company VanguardSpark.

Dear Friends and Supporters,

It is our utmost pleasure to introduce you to our new sister company: VanguardSpark, an e-mobility company created to bring to market innovative, distinctive and great value-for-money urban electric two-wheelers.

VanguardSpark is the joint creation of 3 partners who bring complementary expertise and global experiences: Frederic Vasseur and his Formula-E official manufacturer company "Spark Racing Technologies", legendary motorcycle innovator Erik Buell and his engineering team, and Vanguard co-founder F-X Terny.

VanguardSpark aims at filling the need for two-wheeled urban transport with performance and range far beyond that of “pedelecs” (the assisted e-bicycles) in cities confronted with congestion and pollution, and moving rapidly to "no gas-vehicles".

VanguardSpark's two first products are a "SpeedBike" - essentially a healthy and classy alternative to mopeds and small scooters - and a "Commuter" - a nimble and practical two-wheeler perfectly adapted to urban environments and capable of 150+kms before recharging.

The renderings below give you an idea of the design direction for those products - although not revealing the final designs yet!

Note: Attachments are below (only logged in members can see attachments)

VanguardSpark is now working full speed ahead on innovative designs, engineering, battery technology and software - 4 patents are being filed! - for a first functional prototypes to be shown this summer.

April 19, 2018, 02:27:07 PM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
Another new article about VanguardSpark and Erik Buell...

https://newatlas.com/vanguardspark-buell-electric-motorcycle-ebike/54239/

March 05, 2019, 12:02:17 PM
Reply #6

HDBitchin

Administrator
The company is no longer known as VanguardSpark and is now calling their electric bike and motorcycle company Fuell.

Link to their website...

https://fuell.us/

From the email I received yesterday which best tells the story and changes...

Dear Friends and Supporters,

We are very proud and excited to reveal to you our new Urban Electric Mobility Brand: FUELL (formerly known as “VanguardSpark”), and its first products, Fluid and Flow.

FUELL is all about creating freedom and emotion through innovation.

Erik Buell, founder of Buell Motorcycles and legendary engineer, Frédéric Vasseur, Alfa Romeo Formula 1 team principal and founder of Spark Racing Technology (which builds the Formula E racers), and Francois-Xavier Terny, a transatlantic entrepreneur fond of industrial endeavors, have rallied together to create a genuinely new experience entirely focused on the urban rider.

It is our pleasure to introduce to you Fluid and Flow!

Fluid is a robust and elegant electric bike, with exceptional range (up to 125 miles thanks to its 2 removable batteries with a total of 1,000Wh) and generous torque (100Nm). Fluid is virtually maintenance-free with its carbon belt and internal hub gears.

Flow is an electric urban motorcycle combining practical aspects for the urban journey (integrated 50 liter internal storage) and technological innovations (proprietary wheel-motor, connected dashboard). Flow delivers an unparalleled ride thanks to exceptional acceleration and a low center of gravity.

The below attached press release has more information and a few pictures.

March 06, 2019, 02:12:07 PM
Reply #7

WantMore

Supporting Member
Erik Buell or should I say Erik Fuell?
Smoke em if you got em

March 07, 2019, 02:54:28 PM
Reply #8

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
You just can’t keep a good man down for long! Congratulations Erik!
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 View List

April 30, 2019, 04:56:24 PM
Reply #9

HDBitchin

Administrator
Well the FUELL Fluid has been launched into a Indiegogo Crowdfunding Campaign. They have already exceeded the goal that was set.

FUELL Fluid: best-in-class e-bikes. The premium e-bike spec'd and built by Erik Buell. Go further, faster, in style - at a great value
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fuell-fluid-best-in-class-e-bikes#/

May 01, 2019, 05:05:35 PM
Reply #10

WantMore

Supporting Member
Maybe this Fuell will save Buell!
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

May 01, 2019, 05:16:30 PM
Reply #11

HDBitchin

Administrator
Maybe this Fuell will save Buell!
Ha ha! I like how you word that!

May 03, 2019, 06:14:03 AM
Reply #12

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here are two videos from Fuell. One is on their new e-bicycle and the other is about the electric motorcycle they are bringing to market.

May 12, 2019, 08:17:51 AM
Reply #13

WantMore

Supporting Member
Looks like Fuell is making progress.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.