December 19, 2018, 03:04:18 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Too Broke for Sturgis 2018  (Read 10390 times)

June 13, 2018, 08:29:07 PM
Reply #135

HDBitchin

Administrator
It you read this thread's earlier posts you saw some pictures of motorcycle parts and a few challenges to the members of what those motorcycle parts would end up being as trophies.

Here is a related thread showing a summary of the custom made trophies that @maniacmac fabricated for 2018 Too Broke For Sturgis.

Trophies for Too Broke for Sturgis 2018
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php?topic=5097.0

July 13, 2018, 10:02:00 PM
Reply #136

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

I know, a bit late for this post.  A bit later I'll explain why, you'll understand.

The "Too Broke for Sturgis", 2018 event has come and gone, and I am very happy I got to go.  This time, I brought my Wife, not my Girlfriend.  At the event we got to see some old friends, meet some new friends, and visit with some old friends that we hadn't met yet.

The Princess and I traveled separately together this time.  She drove her truck, I brought the Softail Custom pictured in Reply 131 in this thread.  The reason for two vehicles will also be explained later, in a different thread.

We moved out earlyish on Thursday, June 7th.  First finishing the packing of the truck and sending her off while I finished packing the bike then leaving an hour later.

From Northern California we met in Kingman Arizona.  The Princess had checked into the Motel and prepped the room as much as she could while waiting for me.

It was a long, hot ride.  My choice of highways was not a good one.  Just going South to Bakersfield ate up more time than I wanted.  Finally past Bakersfield I was in clean air and began eating up the miles.  I'm still learning to make my stops count and with each break started to pare down the time spent idle.  I arrived in Kingman, AZ. just before sunset.

The room was comfortable, and the chair had a good deal more padding than my bike.  I sat for a few minutes before The Princess went and picked up a "To Go" order for us.  While she was gone I remembered the lessons from earlier that day, it's all about the multitasking!  Some might enjoy a nice glass of wine while taking a bath.  I prefer a shower, and beer.  Ten seconds of improvising and I came up with this, a Beer Bottle Shower Cap.

From Kingman to Mormon Lake is a real easy, lazy little putt that I have enjoyed for the last three years.  I'm looking forward to next year already, so is the Princess.  It was an interesting coincidence this photo prop was available on our anniversary.

Because maniacmac is such a nice guy, he thought it would be a good idea to volunteer my services for the Bike Contest.  I wound up as Jr. Assistant Parking Director.  Looking back at previous Replies it appears HDBitchin and I have similar tastes in motorcycle style.  We took pictures of many of the same bikes.

My picture doesn't do any justice to this paint job.
  Looking at this paint work in person, it was much more stunning.  Thinking about how much labor that must have gone into this faring was equally impressive.

This is what your shift lever might look like if you contact a guardrail at 70mph.  A quick stop at Home Depot, 2 shelf brackets and 4 hose clamps later and you're back on the road.  The rider walked around with a noticeable limp.  The story was somehow lost among some unintelligible mumbling.

I liked this bike for it's use of Gold and Brass colors.

Knowing a little something about welding aluminum I was impressed with this handmade custom tank.  The seat I'm not too sure about.

I first saw this bike parked among the tents the night before.  It caused me to do a double take before giving it a closer look.  I found out later there is at least one custom bracket maker who specializes in this conversion.  I should get out more.

There was no shortage of food during the event.  Pretty good breakfast was available from the CMA, here you'll notice Webbtron attesting to that fact.

Back Row Left to Right: The Princess, Ferrous, Richard, Maniacmac, Webbtron and HDBitchin
  Front Row:  The Nice Couple from the next camp.  I hope they will be there next year, 'cause I forgot their names.

That's all I have to add to this thread for the moment.  I'm still a little tired from my return trip.

Cheers!
Ferrous
Like Like x 2 View List

July 13, 2018, 10:35:28 PM
Reply #137

Princess Bueller

A great event weekend, super start to an unusual and legendary honeymoon, lots of good friends & fellow campers. Best trip!
Nobody I'd rather adventure with than You.
Like Like x 2 View List

July 14, 2018, 06:05:50 AM
Reply #138

j f go

Community Advocate
Nicely done. Thank you. :)
Agree Agree x 1 View List

July 14, 2018, 11:20:20 AM
Reply #139

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
@FerrousBueller that shadow picture is Cool!!  8)
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 2 View List

July 14, 2018, 03:01:11 PM
Reply #140

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I just wanted to add you were the best parking attended ever but you didn't split your tips with me lol. I can't remember theirs names either but I do remember they gave us about 100 jello shots. ( I never got to finish my sermon to you )
CARS SUCK!
Like Like x 2 Funny Funny x 1 View List

July 14, 2018, 07:00:24 PM
Reply #141

HDBitchin

Administrator
It is a cool picture.
Agree Agree x 1 Worthy of Being a DIY Tip  Worthy of Being a DIY Tip  x 1 View List

July 14, 2018, 08:01:13 PM
Reply #142

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Good pictures.  Good story.  Thanks for sharing.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)
Agree Agree x 1 View List

July 15, 2018, 11:11:00 AM
Reply #143

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
A great event weekend, super start to an unusual and legendary honeymoon, lots of good friends & fellow campers. Best trip!
Nobody I'd rather adventure with than You.

Did I mention they're doing it again next year?

Nicely done. Thank you. :)
I just wanted to add you were the best parking attended ever but you didn't split your tips with me lol. I can't remember theirs names either but I do remember they gave us about 100 jello shots. ( I never got to finish my sermon to you )
Thank you all for the nice comments.  @maniacmac, But I did split the tips with you.  You see, if you divide nuthin' by 2, you get nuthin'.  I'll look forward to continuing that Sermon, next year, if not sooner.

It is a cool picture.
Good pictures.  Good story.  Thanks for sharing.

Ron

Thank You Gentlemen!

Cheers!
Ferrous
Like Like x 1 View List

July 17, 2018, 08:26:55 PM
Reply #144

HDBitchin

Administrator
  I know, a bit late for this post.  A bit later I'll explain why, you'll understand.

The Princess and I traveled separately together this time.  She drove her truck, I brought the Softail Custom pictured in Reply 131 in this thread.  The reason for two vehicles will also be explained later, in a different thread.
I know I am looking forward to that new thread!   ;)

July 18, 2018, 10:02:47 AM
Reply #145

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
I know I am looking forward to that new thread!   ;)
@FerrousBueller

Looking forward to this as well!
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 2 View List

July 19, 2018, 12:28:27 PM
Reply #146

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

I offered another thread, here you go: https://hdbitchin.com/index.php?topic=5364.msg58243#msg58243

Cheers,
Ferrous
Like Like x 3 View List

July 25, 2018, 08:34:14 PM
Reply #147

bc45

Global Moderator
Thanks for the added pictures and commentary.
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.