March 20, 2019, 06:18:54 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: M8 Forum for the new Motorcycle owners  (Read 3904 times)

November 09, 2017, 08:14:51 AM
Read 3904 times

PDB17Ultra

Just wondering if a M8 forum would be nice for owners of the newer models Harley Davidsons to share there experience and tips. 
Live to Ride
17 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
IBA #63744

November 09, 2017, 08:21:45 AM
Reply #1

Jeffreyantoine

Yes! I’d like to hear from other owners of M8 bikes. I own a 2018 SG Special and still have a lot to learn about the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

November 09, 2017, 09:22:00 AM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Just wondering if a M8 forum would be nice for owners of the newer models Harley Davidsons to share there experience and tips.
I have seen that done on other Harley Davidson forums. They have separate motor forums for the different H-D motors. Which would mean that if the M8 was given a sub forum the Twin Cam, Twin Cooled, Evolution, Shovelhead, Panhead and others would need the same.

When I set this forum up I went with a motorcycle model or family category set of sub forums such as you now see with Touring, Softail, Sportster, Dyna, Street, Trike, Buell, V-Rod and etc.

As these H-D model (or families) have evolved over the years new motors have come along. Since we are grouped by model/family, the discussions in the Touring or Softail or other model forum will have engine issues (and other tech issues) covered based on the year the motorcycle was built which dictates the engine that it will have.

With the forum’s current way of categorizing I don’t want to split out the motors into their own groups. So while I see your point, we have started out a different way and changing now would mean splitting things apart. I don’t want to do that. Sorry.

So how are M8 issues found? Post in the model sub forum appropriate to your motorcycle. When posting always use keywords in your post so that days later or years later someone can search your issue. Tell us the model and year of your Harley. Tell us in the post that you are talking about a M8 or Milwaukee 8. This helps others find the wise words that you are sharing.

When posting here are some other things that we should all do to get the most out your HDBitchin forum experience to make sure the solutions to technical issues are well documented.

Spell-check and proof your post for clarity before sharing with the community. Use normal punctuation and capitalization and only bold single words for emphasis.

Don’t just drop in, ask for help, and then disappear. If you post a question, be available for follow-up questions, and let people know if a particular suggestion or solution solved the problem.

Thank the members that helped you by posting a thank you or using the HDBitchin Rep system or using the Post Rating System. A thank you is always appreciated.

HDBitchin Rep
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,813.msg30416.html#msg30416

Post Rating System
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,3587.0.html

Note: The HDBitchin Rep and Post Rating System can not be utilized from Tapatalk.

Be Patient... members are always checking in to ensure questions are answered, but sometimes they get stumped too. If that’s the case, sit tight. I have seen some really tough issues get resolution so yours should be no different. It might just take time.

Put in what you get out of the forum. In other words, give as much as you take. For every question you ask of the community, take the time to give a little back. You can contribute. There are many ways to give back to the forum. Maybe you could give us a funny joke if you can't contribute technically to a discussion. Or post a few pictures of a motorcycle trip. Or how about telling another Harley owner about HDBitchin and help our community grow.

November 09, 2017, 09:59:37 AM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
Yes! I’d like to hear from other owners of M8 bikes. I own a 2018 SG Special and still have a lot to learn about the bike.

Welcome to the HDBitchin family!

November 10, 2017, 08:40:59 AM
Reply #4

PDB17Ultra

I was hopping you could just add  the M8s in the bike the Model discussion and technical discussions area sims to be a bike specific section there.   
Live to Ride
17 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
IBA #63744

November 10, 2017, 11:22:03 AM
Reply #5

J F Go

Community Advocate

Welcome to the forum from Maine. Glad you found us and joined. There are some very knowledgeable people here willing to help should the need arise. When you get a moment would you please go to the new members section and introduce yourself so that others here can welcome you as well. Thank you, and thank you for joining the hdbitchin forum.

November 10, 2017, 12:02:54 PM
Reply #6

HDBitchin

Administrator
I was hopping you could just add  the M8s in the bike the Model discussion and technical discussions area sims to be a bike specific section there.   

Sorry, but for the reasons that I outlined above I won’t break out the engines into separate sub forums. I can’t do it just for the Milwaukee-Eight and not do it for the other engines. IMO splintering up the motorcycle model forums with engine subforums is just going to confuse members.

As said in my previous reply, if a post is addressing a specific engine and the information is unique to that engine then keywords (for best search results) should always be used if the discussion is relevant only to that engine model.

Some discussions can be relevant to a single engine model or type but not always. For example what if you were troubleshooting a “no start” condition that is a basic fuel, air and spark issue. That kind of topic is a discussion that is relevant to all engines. I would not want it pigeonholed into a Twin Cam or Evo or Milwaukee-Eight subforum. When it gets hidden into a engine specific subforum it might never be seen by others that might benefit from that discussion. Many engine discussions will have information that is useful to everyone not just Milwaukee-Eight owners.

When a forum thread has developed into very specific and valuable content on any subject it might get moved in our DIY section. Which is here...

https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

We have an engine forum in that DIY section. Threads in that section can only be started by myself or the moderators. That DIY section is not for asking questions (the model forums do that). The DIY forum is a library of vetted advice that was contributed from lessons that were learned by people that shared what they have learned with the community. If Milwaukee-Eight knowledge that is shared on the general areas of the forum rises to the level of becoming a DIY thread then it will get added to that section of our community.

I hope that explanation is helpful.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.