October 22, 2018, 10:03:12 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Oil light comes on after 100 miles  (Read 3155 times)

November 18, 2017, 06:27:02 PM
Reply #15

Brent526

I like your thinking NoSuperSlabs.

@Brent526 if you know someone with a similar year Sportster that isn’t modified to a trike you might want to ask them to check their oil level hot while sitting on the jiffy stand and if at the proper hot level then hold their motorcycle straight up and then check the oil level on the dipstick while straight up. That should show you where your trike’s oil level should be at.

After checking with this other person’s Sportster the question would then be, does your hot check compare to that person’s straight up level?

I don’t think there would be a significant difference in the level but maybe it is enough to cause your issue.
Great idea now to find one to compare

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

November 19, 2017, 09:42:05 AM
Reply #16

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I believe you are just thowing stuff at the problem and have not determined if you have low oil pressure. Check it with a master gauge. If it's not low, then the oil pressure sending unit is at fault. If it is low it may be several things and all are internal problems except the oil reg. valve. Because your problem occur at temp it sounds like worn pump or reg. valve. Or the oil ring Tank mentioned earlier. The oil sending unit is before the filter and would not be affected by a filter plus there a by pass for plugged filters.
CARS SUCK!
Agree Agree x 1 View List

December 11, 2017, 09:47:11 AM
Reply #17

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I believe you are just thowing stuff at the problem and have not determined if you have low oil pressure. Check it with a master gauge. If it's not low, then the oil pressure sending unit is at fault. If it is low it may be several things and all are internal problems except the oil reg. valve. Because your problem occur at temp it sounds like worn pump or reg. valve. Or the oil ring Tank mentioned earlier. The oil sending unit is before the filter and would not be affected by a filter plus there a by pass for plugged filters.
   I hope I didn't offend anyone by being so blunt but I was trying to get him on the right track.
CARS SUCK!

December 11, 2017, 10:21:30 AM
Reply #18

HDBitchin

Administrator
   I hope I didn't offend anyone by being so blunt but I was trying to get him on the right track.
I don’t think anyone would have took that input as anything but words of experience.  :)
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

December 11, 2017, 12:22:54 PM
Reply #19

AbueloBill

Supporting Member

@Brent526 if you know someone with a similar year Sportster that isn’t modified to a trike you might want to ask them to check their oil level hot while sitting on the jiffy stand and if at the proper hot level then hold their motorcycle straight up and then check the oil level on the dipstick while straight up. That should show you where your trike’s oil level should be at.

After checking with this other person’s Sportster the question would then be, does your hot check compare to that person’s straight up level?

I don’t think there would be a significant difference in the level but maybe it is enough to cause your issue.

I have a 2016 Sportster Custom and have had extensive conversations with the service department over several oil issues (long story for another time).  What they have told me may be of assistance.

1. Oil level is to be checked hot and with the bike on the jiffy stand, and as soon after shutting the engine off as reasonable.  The level should be between the half and three-quarters mark, slightly lower is OK but not higher. 

If the oil is too high you would run the risk of it blowing back from the heads into the air cleaner.  The oil/vapor is then sucked into the intake and then into the combustion chambers, if too much the filter gets overwhelmed plus the unburned oil can build up in the cylinder.  If the oil level is too low you can simply add oil.  If not checked promptly the oil can sump back into the case and thus give a false reading.

2.  The Service Manual shows the following.  This applies to all XL models and the pressure reading is taken at the oil pressure switch fitting.

Table 3-16.  Oil Pressure:  At Operating Temperature

1000 RPM  7-12 PSI   43.3-82.7 kPa

2500 RPM  12-17 PSI  68.9-117  kPa
Never attribute to conspiracy that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

February 02, 2018, 08:44:29 AM
Reply #20

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Need some help with this one. 2013 1200 with a lehman trike kit. Warm it up shut off check oil level is good. Ride about 100 miles everytime we come to a stop the oil light comes on. Give a little throttle goes off until RPMs drop comes back on. Running syn 3. Any help apprciated
Thank you

Brent, did you ever find out what the problem was, and how did you finally resolve it?
Never attribute to conspiracy that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

August 04, 2018, 09:32:44 AM
Reply #21

HDBitchin

Administrator
Brent, did you ever find out what the problem was, and how did you finally resolve it?
@Brent526 did you solve this?
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 06, 2018, 04:55:26 PM
Reply #22

Brent526

Nope I had heart surgery and haven't been able to monkey with it.

August 06, 2018, 05:34:40 PM
Reply #23

j f go

Community Advocate

Sorry to hear that @Brent526. Sure hope you get back to doing the thing you love soon. Will be keeping you in my prayers for a full and speedy recovery. Get well soon. :)

August 06, 2018, 05:36:39 PM
Reply #24

HDBitchin

Administrator
Sorry to hear that @Brent526. Sure hope you get back to doing the thing you love soon. Will be keeping you in my prayers for a full and speedy recovery. Get well soon. :)
@Brent526
Same sentiment here! Get well soon!
HDBitchin aka Tank 

August 07, 2018, 10:37:39 AM
Reply #25

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member

Get well soon!
Two Lane Highway

August 12, 2018, 10:34:24 AM
Reply #26

HDBitchin

Administrator
I looked in a 2010 Sportster manual and it doesn't say anything about checking the oil when the bike is level. It only covers the check that would be performed when the motorcycle is leaning over on the Jiffy stand.

In a Touring manual they show the dipstick level check for a motorcycle leaning over on a Jiffy stand and also the dipstick oil mark that would be done with a bike in the upright position which they call the "sidecar use". The Touring motorcycles have dipsticks that have two different sets of marking on the dipstick, one for Jiffy stand and one for sidecar use.

Here are the two side views of a Touring motorcycle dipstick.

HDBitchin aka Tank 
Informative Informative x 1 View List

August 12, 2018, 08:46:54 PM
Reply #27

Brent526

Thanks for positive wishes. Appreciate them.

Like Like x 1 View List

August 12, 2018, 08:48:29 PM
Reply #28

bc45

Global Moderator
@Brent526  hope you have a fast full recovery

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.