September 20, 2019, 03:19:45 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Oil light comes on after 100 miles  (Read 4796 times)

October 29, 2017, 08:41:18 PM
Read 4796 times

Brent526

Need some help with this one. 2013 1200 with a lehman trike kit. Warm it up shut off check oil level is good. Ride about 100 miles everytime we come to a stop the oil light comes on. Give a little throttle goes off until RPMs drop comes back on. Running syn 3. Any help apprciated
Thank you

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

October 29, 2017, 09:17:02 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
You could have a bad oil pressure sender. In order to know if you truly have a real low pressure or just a bad sender is you would need to check the oil pressure with a master gauge.

Oil pressure issues can be a result of bad oil pump alignment, misplaced o-ring in the oil pump or a bad lifter/tappets.

Take a look at this thread for some more details for an issue like you are experiencing.

Lubrication (Oiling) Issues 
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,2829.0.html

October 30, 2017, 09:32:05 AM
Reply #2

WantMore

Supporting Member
This video is a Twin Cam motor but it will give you the basics of checking the pressure with a master gauge.

Something cheap that can be done easily is a R&R the oil filter. Replace the oil filter and see if that helps. Maybe the filter is restricting the oil flow/pressure. After removing the filter cut it open with a hacksaw and see if you have any trapped debris in that filter.
Smoke em if you got em

October 30, 2017, 09:53:40 AM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
Now that WantMore has mentioned the oil filter it made me think. Make sure you are using a filter for a Evolution motor which is what your 1200 motor is. The EVO style motor does not use an oil filter with a “drain-back” valve and the micron value is less restrictive. Follow this link to some information on the differences between a Twin Cam oil filter and an Evolution oil filter.

https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,3088.msg28986.html#msg28986

Using a Twin Cam style oil filter would likely cause a lower pressure since it filters down to 5 microns and the EVO is a 30 micron oil filter design. 

October 30, 2017, 09:47:21 PM
Reply #4

Brent526

This video is a Twin Cam motor but it will give you the basics of checking the pressure with a master gauge.

Something cheap that can be done easily is a R&R the oil filter. Replace the oil filter and see if that helps. Maybe the filter is restricting the oil flow/pressure. After removing the filter cut it open with a hacksaw and see if you have any trapped debris in that filter.
I will look at the filter. Oil was recently changed at a dealership.

October 30, 2017, 09:52:45 PM
Reply #5

Brent526

If the pressure sensor isnt an arm and leg just replacing it might be a good follow up to checking for correct filter.

October 31, 2017, 07:00:49 AM
Reply #6

HDBitchin

Administrator
If the pressure sensor isnt an arm and leg just replacing it might be a good follow up to checking for correct filter.

Let us know what you find.

November 04, 2017, 09:50:42 AM
Reply #7

WantMore

Supporting Member
Any good news @Brent526
Smoke em if you got em

November 04, 2017, 10:37:17 AM
Reply #8

Brent526

Replaced oil filter. put a few miles on it all looks good so far. She's going to ride down to the Rocky Point Rally next week. Will be a good test.

November 04, 2017, 10:53:20 AM
Reply #9

HDBitchin

Administrator
Replaced oil filter. put a few miles on it all looks good so far. She's going to ride down to the Rocky Point Rally next week. Will be a good test.
Was it the correct oil filter for the Sportster engine? Or maybe did you cut it open and find debris collected inside?

November 15, 2017, 06:30:34 PM
Reply #10

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Any news @Brent526 ?

Was the removed filter the Correct filter for your Sportster Evolution motor?

Debris in the old filter?
Two Lane Highway

November 15, 2017, 09:16:30 PM
Reply #11

Brent526

Any news @Brent526 ?

Was the removed filter the Correct filter for your Sportster Evolution motor?

Debris in the old filter?

I didnt think to keep the filter and cut it open. Once we had gone a good hundred miles bike warm  the oil light again came on when at idle. Increase RPM oil light goes out until RPMs are dropped. I will change out the pressure switch next week

November 18, 2017, 08:00:00 AM
Reply #12

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Thanks for your update.

It wasn’t mentioned but it could be low oil level. Being that you are a trike your motor sits straight up. Most oil check instructions will have you check the oil level while sitting on the side stand. The level seen on the dipstick could rise with the bike siting straight up versus leaned over on the jiffy stand. That could mean you are slightly low on oil volume.
Two Lane Highway
Thinking Outside the Box Award Thinking Outside the Box Award x 1 View List

November 18, 2017, 12:24:15 PM
Reply #13

HDBitchin

Administrator
Thanks for your update.

It wasn’t mentioned but it could be low oil level. Being that you are a trike your motor sits straight up. Most oil check instructions will have you check the oil level while sitting on the side stand. The level seen on the dipstick could rise with the bike siting straight up versus leaned over on the jiffy stand. That could mean you are slightly low on oil volume.
I like your thinking NoSuperSlabs.

@Brent526 if you know someone with a similar year Sportster that isn’t modified to a trike you might want to ask them to check their oil level hot while sitting on the jiffy stand and if at the proper hot level then hold their motorcycle straight up and then check the oil level on the dipstick while straight up. That should show you where your trike’s oil level should be at.

After checking with this other person’s Sportster the question would then be, does your hot check compare to that person’s straight up level?

I don’t think there would be a significant difference in the level but maybe it is enough to cause your issue.

November 18, 2017, 06:25:58 PM
Reply #14

Brent526

Thanks for your update.

I had that thought as well.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.