July 23, 2019, 07:16:34 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: '57 or '58 Harley tanks?  (Read 1238 times)

June 04, 2017, 12:47:02 PM
Read 1238 times

63SSRagtop

Got these on my Amen Savior frame that I'm working into an old school springer 70's chopper with a coffin tank so don't have a use for them.. I've been told that these are specific to the '57/'58 Harley's and are actually quite rare??  They don't appear to be repops and far as I can tell have either filler in where the emblem mounting tabs are or possibly it was welded up and piss canned.. I had planned on getting the ride mounts and emblems and tacking them on myself but decided I'd rather pass them on to someone that has this specific bike and they can mess with them themselves... Anyone have any idea what the value of these things would be??

I need old school chopper parts and they definitely are pricey for authentic stuff these days!
thanks!

June 04, 2017, 09:38:58 PM
Reply #1

maniacmac

Global Moderator
How many gal are these tanks, that would help narrow down the years they are. There wasn't any 57-58 only tank. Also if the tabs were there they would be worth more. With that being said they still have good valve.
CARS SUCK!

June 05, 2017, 07:35:15 PM
Reply #2

63SSRagtop

Short of filling them with gas I've no idea on how to check the gallon size.. My buddy was saying that only the 57/58 had the flat spots in that location on the outer tank for the twin Phillips screw on medallions.. looking at pics on line it looks to be a simple strap.. (if ya had stockers, I'd think an easy tack job).. the medallions themselves are pretty hard to find I'm sure though.. I dunno, I'm certainly no expert on them.. I'm just looking at a way to help finance buying some more chopper parts..

Here she as I got her and a pic of the D&D springer front end, also have and old coffin tank and a pawn light that I've acquired thus far..

June 06, 2017, 07:06:26 AM
Reply #3

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Your friend is correct about the round medallions were only used on 57-58 tanks making them more rare. Some times I used what is selling on ebay as a reference for pricing- not asking price but actual bids.
CARS SUCK!

June 12, 2017, 06:27:34 PM
Reply #4

maniacmac

Global Moderator
After doing more research I believe you do have 57-58 tanks. Market price is $450-$750.   The ones selling for $700 plus include medallions. Hope this helps you.
CARS SUCK!

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.