March 20, 2019, 07:12:34 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Electric Harley production bike? (H-D LiveWire is here)  (Read 20549 times)

February 24, 2018, 07:45:31 AM
Reply #75

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Ferrous,

A couple different perspectives on the electric cycle.  The electric BMW scooter is here and available while the Harley is still a couple years away, and the BMW is about 2/3 the anticipated price of the Harley.   <\

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/02/bmw-c-evolution-scooter-review/

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1115106_harley-davidson-to-offer-electric-motorcycle-within-18-months-says-ceo

I am also intrigued but with the distances involved in riding here in Arizona, just can't see how one would ever work out.  There is a Zero dealership a couple miles from my house but when I've stopped by it was closed.  Seems only open by appointment or for a few hours on a specific day, which I missed.  Perhaps on your next trip here we could visit; I'd check to be sure they would be open.

Bill 
Never attribute to conspiracy that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

February 24, 2018, 08:31:51 AM
Reply #76

bc45

Global Moderator
@bc45,

I’m certain you’re correct.  If you are correct, it makes the LiveWire even less attractive in my area.

Cheers,
Ferrous
Same in my area a lot of hills.

@AbueloBill
I also was looking at the Zero the only dealer I could find in the greater Seattle and surrounding area is Seattle Tryumph so the support network is slim even in a big metropolitan City.

Like Like x 1 View List

February 24, 2018, 09:39:59 AM
Reply #77

HDBitchin

Administrator
The $21,000 to $25,000 predicted price tag that was mention in that Green Car Reports article above that @AbueloBill linked for the LiveWire is way too rich IMO. I don’t see how Harley Davidson will be successful at that price point.

February 24, 2018, 11:05:14 AM
Reply #78

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
The $21,000 to $25,000 predicted price tag that was mention in that Green Car Reports article above that @AbueloBill linked for the LiveWire is way too rich IMO. I don’t see how Harley Davidson will be successful at that price point.

At those predicted prices it would make the rest of Harley's line up look like a real deal!

The new Sportster Forty Eight https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/2018/sportster/forty-eight/detailed-specs-and-pricing.html  Starts at $11,299, it has the smallest tank, and a range of 100 miles or so.  Based on price and range it makes the LiveWire a little less attractive.
  Maybe Harley will use the LiveWire to get more bodies in the showroom then send them home with a new Sporty.

Cheers,
Ferrous
Like Like x 1 View List

February 24, 2018, 07:52:21 PM
Reply #79

bc45

Global Moderator

I agree the most expensive Zero was listed right under 17,000.00 it looks like they start at around 10,500.
Like Like x 1 View List

February 25, 2018, 10:22:03 AM
Reply #80

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
That price needs to come way down.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 2 View List

February 27, 2018, 08:10:07 AM
Reply #81

WantMore

Supporting Member
Great observations @FerrousBueller

Nice to have a firsthand report. I could actually see myself owning a LiveWire.
I might have to retract my statement about seeing myself owning a LiveWire. At the price that was mentioned in the article @AbueloBill linked I think they just priced me out of the market. $21,000 to $25,000 is to rich for me.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 View List

February 28, 2018, 07:57:47 AM
Reply #82

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
I might have to retract my statement about seeing myself owning a LiveWire. At the price that was mentioned in the article @AbueloBill linked I think they just priced me out of the market. $21,000 to $25,000 is to rich for me.
I think the price will change and hope by that it comes down. We shall see.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 3 View List

January 07, 2019, 02:33:33 PM
Reply #83

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  At those predicted prices it would make the rest of Harley's line up look like a real deal!

The new Sportster Forty Eight https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/2018/sportster/forty-eight/detailed-specs-and-pricing.html  Starts at $11,299, it has the smallest tank, and a range of 100 miles or so.  Based on price and range it makes the LiveWire a little less attractive.
  Maybe Harley will use the LiveWire to get more bodies in the showroom then send them home with a new Sporty.

Cheers,
Ferrous

Why, Hello Foot!  Meet Bullet!  That's my take on today's announcement by Harley Davidson about the LiveWire pricing. You can read it here:  2019 LiveWire Electric Motorbike* | Harley-Davidson USA.  Or, I can simply tell you.  It's price is equivalent to 3 new Sportsters, or, 2 new Street Bobs, or, more than a Ultra Limited or the Freewheeler trike.  Ouch!  I have read a little about Federal Rebates or, Tax Incentives that "Might" be good for $2500 to put back in your pocket.  However, having sold cars in the past, (it was a very dark six months of my life, I'd rather not discuss it more than that), including electrics, that part of the buying incentive was more complicated than needed.

According to the Spec Sheet, it will do 0-60MPH in 3.5 Seconds.  Certainly very respectable, but I expected more even if I wouldn't use it.  The "Mileage" rating has gone up to 110 miles (with the usual disclaimers), that makes it more useful for me.  The nearest big town is a 60 mile round trip, however, the nearest H-D dealer is 92 miles there and back.  That's kinda pushing it a bit.  It might help that there is a Tesla Dealer within half a block and there is also a promise of recharge stations at Harley in the near future to service the LiveWire.  The LiveWire can be charged at home overnight with the onboard charger from a household 110 volt source.
 I like that.

All in all, the Sportster that I mentioned in the previous post is looking more and more attractive.

Cheers,
Ferrous

*Yes, They call it a "Motorbike", I thought it was odd too.

January 07, 2019, 10:00:15 PM
Reply #84

HDBitchin

Administrator
@FerrousBueller

That price is going ensure the LiveWire to be a failure IMO. Unfortunately I can’t see them selling very many at this price.

January 08, 2019, 07:31:45 AM
Reply #85

HDBitchin

Administrator
Harley-Davidson released this video on their LiveWire H-D Connect. The video is short and to the point but you can also follow the link that @FerrousBueller shared above if you want to know more.

Apparently Harley-Davidson is attending the CES 2019 in Las Vegas this week according to this American Iron Magazine article.

https://www.aimag.com/harley-davidson-electrifies-the-future-of-two-wheels/

I am in Vegas this week attending CES as the LiveMap helmet Brand Ambassador. I will have to take some time out from my LiveMap booth duty to see the H-D booth and the LiveWire.

LiveMap and LiveWire... interesting names.

January 09, 2019, 12:17:32 AM
Reply #86

HDBitchin

Administrator
Well if Harley-Davidson and their new LiveWire are at the CES I can’t find them publicly listed as an exhibitor. They might be an invitation only venue.

Here is a new LiveWire video that they put up on YouTube that highlights their “sound”.

January 09, 2019, 10:51:52 PM
Reply #87

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
They priced me out of it. It does seem they have more technology than other electric motorcycles that are currently on the market. But I will go without.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 View List

January 10, 2019, 10:13:04 PM
Reply #88

HDBitchin

Administrator
This video was brought to my attention today by @FerrousBueller 

It is a HD video doing a walkaround at CES in Las Vegas of the new LiveWire by a Harley-Davidson PR guy. As I said earlier I am in Vegas attending CES and HD does not show up as an exhibitor. If I could find them and see this machine in person I would.

January 11, 2019, 03:10:29 PM
Reply #89

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Here's a recent article from Forbes about the Livewire and siblings:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jasonfogelson/2019/01/11/harley-davidson-livewire-details-revealed-at-ces-2019/amp/

I hope the link works..

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)
Informative Informative x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.