August 06, 2020, 02:33:56 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Replacing and Bleeding Front and Rear Brake Fluid Harley Davidson - DIY  (Read 9935 times)

July 19, 2018, 09:29:29 PM
Reply #15

thjo0712

I did take the Caliper apart[Split into half by taking all three bolts], and the oil fluid did leak out from the passageway.
My concern is that the front brake master cylinder did not dry out. But by splitting the caliper in half, would the air gone into the passageway? Thanks.

July 19, 2018, 10:32:24 PM
Reply #16

bc45

Global Moderator
I would assume there will be some air in the caliper since it was opened up. So it will need to be bled after the pads are replaced.
As long as the master dose not go dry and air get Into the ABS unit just bleed the brakes as if they did not have ABS. Just make sure when you bleed you don't let the master run dry. Simplafied operation of theABS under normal braking fluid bypasses the solenoids so brakes work like non ABS under ABS the soleniodes in the ABS unit open to bleed fluid to unlock the brake. So under normal brake bleeding you do not have to have the solenoids open .
But to flush all the fluid or get air out of the ABS unit you need to open the solenoids to get the air and fluid out of that area of the ABS unit.

July 26, 2018, 11:57:23 AM
Reply #17

thjo0712

Thanks, I will try as per your suggestion.

May 22, 2019, 09:21:59 AM
Reply #18

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

This has been eating at me for over a year.  I bought a new to me, 2014 Ultra FLHTCU w/ABS a couple of years ago.  I've tried to get it into a dealer for about a month.  My work schedule, the dealers shop schedule, and current weather have all made that idea completely impossible.  A recent Google search turned up this video:
How to Bleed Brake Lines on a Harley with ABS

Just as interesting as the video, the comment section appears to be all positive.  With the help of the Princess I performed the brake flush with Surgical Precision.  When the job was done I performed a bench test on the garage floor.  Both brakes have a much firmer feel to them.  A road test will be next, even if I have to ride in the rain.  Results to be announced later.

Cheers,
Ferrous

May 26, 2019, 12:21:54 PM
Reply #19

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  This has been eating at me for over a year.  I bought a new to me, 2014 Ultra FLHTCU w/ABS a couple of years ago.  I've tried to get it into a dealer for about a month.  My work schedule, the dealers shop schedule, and current weather have all made that idea completely impossible.  A recent Google search turned up this video:
How to Bleed Brake Lines on a Harley with ABS

Just as interesting as the video, the comment section appears to be all positive.  With the help of the Princess I performed the brake flush with Surgical Precision.  When the job was done I performed a bench test on the garage floor.  Both brakes have a much firmer feel to them.  A road test will be next, even if I have to ride in the rain.  Results to be announced later.

Cheers,
Ferrous

A brief road test to, and from work seems to confirm everything is ok.  Getting up to Highway Speeds then hammering the brakes worked well and did not trigger any warning light or codes.  I think I'm good to go.

Cheers,
Ferrous
Like Like x 1 View List

May 26, 2019, 03:30:28 PM
Reply #20

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  A brief road test to, and from work seems to confirm everything is ok.  Getting up to Highway Speeds then hammering the brakes worked well and did not trigger any warning light or codes.  I think I'm good to go.

Cheers,
Ferrous

Just a couple snapshots...

Front Brake Reservoir, Before:

Front Brake Reservoir, After:

Visually, not a huge difference, but, I fell better about it.

While I had the toolbox open I also flushed the Clutch Reservoir, Here is what it looked like before:

Kinda nasty looking!  I didn't take an "After" picture, you'll have to use your imagination, or, scroll up to the After picture above.  I got some brake fluid test strips and dipped one in the Clutch Reservoir, I expected different results:

I wanted to test for water content in all the Reservoirs, but didn't have a tester handy.  I'm not worried about it now.

Cheers,
Ferrous 

July 31, 2020, 08:57:10 AM
Reply #21

mqqn

Global Moderator
With my move and remodel - I have not been doing a good job with routine maintenance.

I did find out that I can change the brake fluid on Fat Ninja (ZG1400ABS) without any computer voodoo.

However, the general consensus that I have read about on the interwebs is that there is not enough fluid left in the ABS pump to worry about - you are removing water from the fluid by changing out the fluid - and with the very small amount in the ABS pump it will dilute in into the mix quickly and you will not be in danger of rust or boiling water in your brakes - at least in my opinion.

I just ordered a Mytvac MV8500 Silverline kit to replace my old harbor-freight plastic version, which has served me well but is now broken (pressure indicator).

I will flush out the clutch and front brake on the glide when I get it back and report back here.

best

mqqn   
Like Like x 1 View List

July 31, 2020, 11:21:02 AM
Reply #22

maniacmac

Global Moderator
With my move and remodel - I have not been doing a good job with routine maintenance.

I did find out that I can change the brake fluid on Fat Ninja (ZG1400ABS) without any computer voodoo.

However, the general consensus that I have read about on the interwebs is that there is not enough fluid left in the ABS pump to worry about - you are removing water from the fluid by changing out the fluid - and with the very small amount in the ABS pump it will dilute in into the mix quickly and you will not be in danger of rust or boiling water in your brakes - at least in my opinion.

I just ordered a Mytvac MV8500 Silverline kit to replace my old harbor-freight plastic version, which has served me well but is now broken (pressure indicator).

I will flush out the clutch and front brake on the glide when I get it back and report back here.

best

mqqn   
I agree with your thought process
Like Like x 2 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer