March 24, 2019, 01:47:52 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Motorcycle Helmet with GPS Navigation Display - LiveMap  (Read 9944 times)

January 10, 2019, 09:54:59 PM
Reply #60

HDBitchin

Administrator
Earlier today from the CES event in Las Vegas we did a live Facebook stream talking about LiveMap and the other high technology motorcycle helmets that are coming to the market. As said earlier in the thread I am here in Vegas as the Brand Ambassador for LiveMap.

January 11, 2019, 02:20:41 PM
Reply #61

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Great video, Larry.  Kudos to the entire team.  In hindsight, it MAY have provided more "professional emphasis"(?) ** if you had mentioned your work experience with HUD technology.  But maybe you already thought of that and chose not to.   ;)

But again, good job!  Congrats.

Ron

**  Probably not the proper term, but hope you get my drift.
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)
Like Like x 1 View List

January 11, 2019, 11:38:01 PM
Reply #62

HDBitchin

Administrator
Great video, Larry.  Kudos to the entire team.  In hindsight, it MAY have provided more "professional emphasis"(?) ** if you had mentioned your work experience with HUD technology.  But maybe you already thought of that and chose not to.   ;)

But again, good job!  Congrats.

Ron

**  Probably not the proper term, but hope you get my drift.
Thanks Ron, I agree. It would have been a good point to establish my avionics background with HUD systems. In some of the one on one conversations with people coming by the LiveMap booth I did bring that into the conversation. But when this video stream was done it slipped my mind.

January 12, 2019, 11:43:03 AM
Reply #63

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is the LiveMap HUD Helmet Flyer that gives the highlights of this new helmet technology...

January 13, 2019, 02:35:16 PM
Reply #64

HDBitchin

Administrator
This is the CES show in Las Vegas and a quick walk back to the LiveMap booth and then a walk around the booth and interview with one of the LiveMap Engineers, Vladimir. Seven minutes to watch the complete video.  As their tagline says...

"Ride a bike like a fighter pilot"

January 17, 2019, 11:21:25 AM
Reply #65

WantMore

Supporting Member
  Well, look at that, our Forum Administrator is also a Motorcycle Helmet Supermodel!

The helmet does not appear as bulky as I thought it would be.  I'll look forward to reading your first impressions.

Did you get to take one home?

Cheers,
Ferrous
Tank is famous!
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

January 27, 2019, 12:18:24 PM
Reply #66

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here are some thoughts now that I have settled back into my regular routine after being in Las Vegas as the LiveMap Brand Ambassador. Yes, as a preorder customer I was asked to come to the CES show and talk as a motorcyclist about this helmet. Here are my thoughts now.

Some of you know my day job is an Avionics Systems Engineer and with that job I have worked on aircraft HUD systems. Coming from an aircraft perspective I understand the value of pilot wanting a HUD so that he/she can look out of the cockpit and not down for safety reasons. Same thing on this helmet.

What LiveMap is doing here is developing a true HUD (Heads Up Display) for a motorcycle helmet. Not a waveguide piece of glass that hangs down in front of your eye, and not a micro prism display that glues on to the outside of your helmet or one that is set inside the helmet on the chin bar below eye level that requires you to look down for its display. Other companies that are developing various other solutions and are calling their products HUD but they are misusing the term HUD. They are a near field focus at around 3 meters that takes your scan away from safely riding the motorcycle. LiveMap’s HUD electronics is projecting their AR image on the inside of helmet’s visor which has a special optics paint or coating that traps the wavelength of light. The visor when coated becomes a HUD Combiner. 

LiveMap is a true HUD that is producing a AR image that floats at a focal distance of 20 meters out in front of the rider’s path. When I ride I devote maybe 98% of my time to looking out into the distance to my safety scan. With this HUD display being at 20 meters in front of me I look thru it during that 98% period and when I want to look at the data it is easily viewed because it is there at 20 meters inside my safety scan. The HUD image is your current speed and navigation path information as electronic VR image data in your safety scan augmenting the DOT road signs like Speed Limit signs, Curve ahead and Distance to go road signs. All in focus. No need to look down and fumble with buttons and menus to control a handlebar mounted GPS. Just talk to the LiveMap helmet to control it.

Also LiveMap is in discussions with all the motorcycle manufacturers about getting data up from the motorcycle's CAN bus or ECM. Information like Tire pressure, Oil pressure, and warning lamp data.

The helmet is controlled by voice commands so I no longer need to look down at a GPS that I need to touch menu buttons. With this helmet I just voice command the navigation or action camera. If I want it to navigate to 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA I tell it with my voice. If I want the built in 4K HD video camera camera to record, I talk to it.

Think of what you would pay for a DOT/ECE certified helmet, a GPS (but this one displays on a HUD), a 4K Action Camera and a Bluetooth Communicator kit separately. If you do the math and add those up the introductory price of $1500 makes sense. Then think about the trouble of glueing the GoPro and Bluetooth to your helmet. You don’t have that problem with this helmet. Everything that many of today’s riders already want is built in and is all voice commanded.

Are the other high tech helmet companies doing it wrong? No they are doing what they are doing but they are not doing a true HUD. Each has a price and a list of features that you need to decide on. You might conclude that another brand does what you want for a lower price but if you want a true HUD then it comes back to LiveMap.

February 15, 2019, 09:40:01 AM
Reply #67

HDBitchin

Administrator
As I said before if you want a real HUD then you want what LiveMap has developed. Just as an aircraft pilot understands the value of flying with his/her head up and looking out of the cockpit a motorcycle rider is the same. Heads down can kill a pilot or a motorcycle rider.

Here are some interesting videos on HUD systems that you will find in aviation. As LiveMap’s tagline says, “Ride a bike like a fighter pilot”.

Amazing technology in the F-35 pilot helmet

Inside BAE’s Striker II fighter pilot helmet

Why Does Each US Air Force Pilot Helmet Cost $400,000?

Farnborough 2014: BAE Systems Striker II helmet

This Is The F-35's New Generation Super Smart Helmet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp8HnquXX0s&feature=youtu.be

March 07, 2019, 06:32:57 PM
Reply #68

HDBitchin

Administrator
LiveMap recently released this new video and then did a translation from Russian to English. The video does a great job of walking you through the development.

The Evolution of a True Motorcycle HUD Helmet - LiveMap

The video description...

We invite you to watch this video showing the evolution of the LiveMap smart helmet. In this video the CEO and Founder of LiveMap, Andrew Artishchev and LiveMap’s Engineer and Test Rider, Vladimir Dudunov take you through the development prototypes of the LiveMap helmet. They share what they learned with each prototype and how the lessons learned with each prototype has allowed them to bring forth a helmet that will have no rival. A true HUD design is the end result. Not a micro prism optic or waveguide glass that is screwed on or glued on. A true HUD integrated into the helmet’s visor. As the tagline says... Ride a bike like a fighter pilot!

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.